DC Lit & QOL

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DC Lit & QOL

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm summering at a top DC firm. I've been labeled as the X practice group girl. The X group has a lot of need. I'm pretty sure they hired me specifically for that group. The problem is, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want to do X. I want to litigate, and the firm I'm at is blah when it comes to litigation. I'm thinking of making switch.

Which D.C. firms have the best litigation groups with some quality of life? I don't mean good quality of life, because I know that's not even a thing. I just mean I will see my husband in the evening somewhat regularly & the place isn't overrun with ego-fueled bros. I just want to work somewhere where people have somewhat of a life outside of the firm and people are kind to one another. Someone told me Hogan fits that description. Thoughts?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby anon168 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm summering at a top DC firm. I've been labeled as the X practice group girl. The X group has a lot of need. I'm pretty sure they hired me specifically for that group. The problem is, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I don't want to do X. I want to litigate, and the firm I'm at is blah when it comes to litigation. I'm thinking of making switch.

Which D.C. firms have the best litigation groups with some quality of life? I don't mean good quality of life, because I know that's not even a thing. I just mean I will see my husband in the evening somewhat regularly & the place isn't overrun with ego-fueled bros. I just want to work somewhere where people have somewhat of a life outside of the firm and people are kind to one another. Someone told me Hogan fits that description. Thoughts?


Need a bit more info from you.

Litigation is too broad and general. Do you have a specific area or kind of litigation you are interested in?

Also, when you say "DC firms" what do you mean? Exclusively defense-type, biglaw V100 type firms? Or more boutique-type places? Would you consider plaintiffs' shops?

More info would help in providing an answer.

And, for what it's worth, Hogan Lovells is not a place I would want to work, and not b/c of any QOL issues.

wisdom
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby wisdom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Arnold & Porter's a very well respected DC firm that has a very good litigation group and also has a reputation for relatively high QOL. Covington also has this reputation. Both are not primarily litigation firms (more $$$ in the regulatory work), but would be the two big names I'd start with.

lameslice57
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby lameslice57 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:07 pm

anon168 wrote:And, for what it's worth, Hogan Lovells is not a place I would want to work, and not b/c of any QOL issues.

What's wrong with Hogan?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby anon168 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:44 pm

lameslice57 wrote:
anon168 wrote:And, for what it's worth, Hogan Lovells is not a place I would want to work, and not b/c of any QOL issues.

What's wrong with Hogan?


Many, incl myself, believe that their business model is not sustainable. It's like trying to wear a Saville Row suit with Birkenstocks and a tank top.

Maybe they can pull it off but I wouldn't want to bet my career on it. Time will tell, however.

Ness Lee
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby Ness Lee » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:27 pm

wisdom wrote:Arnold & Porter's a very well respected DC firm that has a very good litigation group and also has a reputation for relatively high QOL. Covington also has this reputation. Both are not primarily litigation firms (more $$$ in the regulatory work), but would be the two big names I'd start with.


Ditto on A&P. I know two very smart and friendly friends who work there and who tell me it's a great firm to work for QOL wise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm

anon168 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:
anon168 wrote:And, for what it's worth, Hogan Lovells is not a place I would want to work, and not b/c of any QOL issues.

What's wrong with Hogan?


Many, incl myself, believe that their business model is not sustainable. It's like trying to wear a Saville Row suit with Birkenstocks and a tank top.

Maybe they can pull it off but I wouldn't want to bet my career on it. Time will tell, however.


What's their model?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby dood » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:
anon168 wrote:And, for what it's worth, Hogan Lovells is not a place I would want to work, and not b/c of any QOL issues.

What's wrong with Hogan?


Many, incl myself, believe that their business model is not sustainable. It's like trying to wear a Saville Row suit with Birkenstocks and a tank top.

Maybe they can pull it off but I wouldn't want to bet my career on it. Time will tell, however.


What's their model?


wtf is a "birkenstock"

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby anon168 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:
anon168 wrote:And, for what it's worth, Hogan Lovells is not a place I would want to work, and not b/c of any QOL issues.

What's wrong with Hogan?


Many, incl myself, believe that their business model is not sustainable. It's like trying to wear a Saville Row suit with Birkenstocks and a tank top.

Maybe they can pull it off but I wouldn't want to bet my career on it. Time will tell, however.


What's their model?


It's basically two firms that share one name. There are literally two different partnerships (a Hogan & Hartson plus a few Lovells US offices and basically the international offices of Hogan Hartson and Lovells), and they simply share profits and expenses. The firm stretches the definition of vereins to its utter limit.

If you talk to the managing partners there, there is very little centralized focus or structure. Sort of everybody does their own thing, except they do it on one letterhead.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273336
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC Lit & QOL

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 am

There is really not a ton of true litigation practice in DC and pairing that with QOL will make it pretty difficult. I've heard negative rumors about A&P's financial health before, so maybe low hours aren't always a good thing.

I think you might be chasing your tail a bit, but good luck.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.