Bay Area Ties Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bay Area Ties Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 pm

So, I'm top 10% at MVP and am looking pretty heavily at California, the Bay Area in particular. The problem is, I have only minimal ties (dad grew up in San Diego and my grandmother + Aunt still life there). Is the Bay Area sufficiently parochial/small such that I stand no chance, or will my grades be sufficient for me to push for something there?

bk1

Re: Bay Area Ties Question

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:19 pm

SV will care more about interest in the kind of work they do. SF will care more about ties. I think you will be at least somewhat grilled on ties in SF, I think grades plus your CA ties will help if you have a good reason for SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I had slightly worse grades at a slightly worse school and ended up with multiple offers in both markets (SV and SF). Ties were pretty weak. I explained my interest in the work and in the lifestyle as juxtaposed against NYC and that seemed to work fine. I suspect you'll have a similar outcome if you're relatively personable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Don't worry. Ties matter less than you think. So many people here have minimal ties to the Bay Area. I actually think it makes no difference whether you apply to SF or SV when it comes to ties. Pedigree counts for a lot more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Awesome! Thanks all of you! I'm mostly looking at Wilson Sonsini (among other firms) for their start up practice (I've worked for 4 so far in non-technical capacities and want to continue doing stuff like that).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Awesome! Thanks all of you! I'm mostly looking at Wilson Sonsini (among other firms) for their start up practice (I've worked for 4 so far in non-technical capacities and want to continue doing stuff like that).

I'm sure you know this, but I would keep an open perspective given how tough the market is (and you never know whether you will really like a firm). If you like corporate work, think broader, like Fenwick, Cooley, Goodwin, Covington, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Awesome! Thanks all of you! I'm mostly looking at Wilson Sonsini (among other firms) for their start up practice (I've worked for 4 so far in non-technical capacities and want to continue doing stuff like that).

I'm sure you know this, but I would keep an open perspective given how tough the market is (and you never know whether you will really like a firm). If you like corporate work, think broader, like Fenwick, Cooley, Goodwin, Covington, etc.

These threads may be helpful:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &view=next

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=194362

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

OP here, thanks again, this is going to be super helpful! Good luck to everyone else with OCI stuff!

Return to “Legal Employment”