How to Move Past Lackluster Grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
augusta1985

How to Move Past Lackluster Grades

Postby augusta1985 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Graduated 2010 / T2 school / no LR / median grades. I clawed my way into a federal clerkship by working hard as an extern with the same judge. I'm nearing the end of my term and have been super discouraged by how many "auto-dings" I've been getting b/c of my grades. I'm not shooting for the stars, but I'd like to end up at a regional firm or a satellite office of a national firm. Any other TLSers dealing with a similar situation? If so, any thoughts or advice? Thx.

Anonymous User

Re: How to Move Past Lackluster Grades

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 pm

augusta1985 wrote:Graduated 2010 / T2 school / no LR / median grades. I clawed my way into a federal clerkship by working hard as an extern with the same judge. I'm nearing the end of my term and have been super discouraged by how many "auto-dings" I've been getting b/c of my grades. I'm not shooting for the stars, but I'd like to end up at a regional firm or a satellite office of a national firm. Any other TLSers dealing with a similar situation? If so, any thoughts or advice? Thx.

Just want to say gl. Awesome job on the clerkship.

worksmart

Postby worksmart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Not in your situation, but have you considered asking your judge for help? I imagine if you have externed and now clerked for the same judge, you have a developed a decent rapport and he/she may be willing to go to bat for you. Once you are "in" at a firm, your work product matters more than your grades, and your judge will be very familiar with your work ethic. It really is unfortunate how important grades are to firms, but they usually have nothing else to measure your ability; given your WE though, I hope your situation works out! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:08 am

In a much worse grades situation (scraping the bottom w .02 below 3) but @ a t14.......good luck my brother.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:52 am

augusta1985 wrote:Graduated 2010 / T2 school / no LR / median grades. I clawed my way into a federal clerkship by working hard as an extern with the same judge. I'm nearing the end of my term and have been super discouraged by how many "auto-dings" I've been getting b/c of my grades. I'm not shooting for the stars, but I'd like to end up at a regional firm or a satellite office of a national firm. Any other TLSers dealing with a similar situation? If so, any thoughts or advice? Thx.

Friend of mine had the judge basically swear by his work product. He got a V50 offer that way even though below par grades. It is obvious your judge likes you, he gave you a clerkship when you had bad grades... maybe he will go a step further and help you with firm employment.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:59 am

This is tough. Without your judge finding you a job you are left with any attorney contacts you made while working.

Median grades from a T2 school- you will need connections to get you interviews at any national firm. There are just so many more qualified people. You have to also be able to sell your experience as a good fit and so you can start billing almost on day one.

I think you are unrealistic but no harm in trying. You should target a broader range of firms.

Are you working in the market of your school? Any chance of alumni help?

augusta1985

Postby augusta1985 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 pm

OP here. I'm clerking in the city where I want to practice. I'm starting to look at more regional firms and using my alumni connections here. And yes, my judge has been great about setting me up with his contacts at firms here in town, so hopefully something will shake out. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”