hr recruiters at big firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

hr recruiters at big firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 am

how much pull do they have? pretty sure I pissed one off at a networking event and she didn't like me. should I give up hope on that firm?

Anonymous User

Re: hr recruiters at big firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 am

useless and annoying people

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:useless and annoying people

They have no power and I doubt he/she will even remember you. They can't even send rejection letters half the time.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 am

I imagine it varies firm to firm. Obviously, she could just trash your application. She could tell whoever is picking SA's that you are weird. Both would kill you.

But I doubt she has any deciding power otherwise.

What did you do that pissed her off. You should check your aspieness if you are pissing off people at networking events.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am

Not enough info IMO. Varies from firm to firm. I'd imagine someone with the title of "recruiting coordinator" might not have much power (and might simply get told "we're going to interview x, set up an interview with him/her"), but "director of legal recruiting" might. idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:41 am

lolwat wrote:Not enough info IMO. Varies from firm to firm. I'd imagine someone with the title of "recruiting coordinator" might not have much power (and might simply get told "we're going to interview x, set up an interview with him/her"), but "director of legal recruiting" might. idk.

They can be responsible for pulling the candidates (which are usually based on some criteria set down). If you have killer stats for the job then the person probably wouldn't feel like risking their job just to trash your resume. However, I would never fuck with a gatekeeper no matter how insignificant I thought they were.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

In my experience, the recruiting team has a very good relationship with the hiring committee. I would expect any exceptional interaction you have with recruiting to get back to the hiring committee (exceptionally good or bad). What the committee will do with the information will depend on a lot of factors, but in this market, firms don't need much of a reason to choose one highly qualified candidate over another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

You need a lot of pull to get somebody hired, and it's doubtful all HR people have that kind of pull.

You need almost none to get a candidate shitcanned. I was basically given veto power over some students I met before I even started at a firm. Firms are all too eager to weed out the bad eggs early, and there are an awful lot of candidates to replace them with. An amazingly small amount of negative feedback can undo a candidate.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how much pull do they have? pretty sure I pissed one off at a networking event and she didn't like me. should I give up hope on that firm?

The kind of pull an HR person has uni-directional.

Very rarely, if ever, do they have enough pull to get a person hired. But they, like alot of administrative (non-lawyer) people involved in a firm's recruiting definitely have enough pull to get person rejected.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Huge influence in getting you dinged, not as much in getting you hired. Btw, it tends to work in similar ways in all industries. At my previous job I was so low on the food chain that I could not get any person hired, however even I could ding people by mentioning something bad about them.

Return to “Legal Employment”