UCLA OCI 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UCLA OCI 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:01 am

Advice for how to bid?

marlborofillet

Re: UCLA OCI 2013

Postby marlborofillet » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Advice for how to bid?

Conservatively.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 am

Your GPA should completely dictate your bidding strategy. Don't be the person bidding on Irell when you have a 3.1. You are wasting everyone's time and taking an interview spot from someone who may actually meet the cutoff. If you are within a reasonable range, e.g. the cutoff is 3.45 and you have a 3.36, then that's fine. But be aware that most firms that have a "preferred" GPA will still have a cutoff and it probably isn't too far from what is listed. The truly grade selective firms (Irell, MTO, Gibson, Quinn, Skadden, S&C, etc.) have hard GPA cutoffs. Be realistic and focus on targeting the firms in your GPA range and you have a much better shot of landing something.

If you want more specific advice, I need your GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:43 am

Not OP, but 3.8 here. Have heard anecdotally that this is around top 10%. Are all firms at OCI in play? Does anyone with experience have advice for where the most grade selective firms need to be in my list (can they be in the 30-40 range)? Thanks much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

With a 3.8 you are sitting very pretty, assuming you are not a terrible interviewer. Don't kill yourself doing a zillion interviews because you don't need to. If you want one of the top firms, you are likely to get it (again, assuming you are a normal person). Are there any in particular you are gunning for? I will say Irell and Quinn both had extra sign up spots after bidding ended, but don't count on that. IMO, if you want a firm, you should bid it high. Where I ended up had quite a few spots but because I knew I wanted it from the start, I bid it #1. Because UCLA doesn't keep track of bidding and interviews, there is really no way to know because every year is different. If you know some specific firms you are interested in, I can try to give you an idea of how popular they were last year. With your GPA, even if you don't get an interview, if you contact them to request an interview with your resume attached, they will likely fit you in either early, late, or during lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:14 am

3.55 GPA Which firms to bid on? I know MTO, Quinn, Irell, OMM are out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:33 pm

With a 3.55 from UCLA, you are not screwed by any means, but also far from guaranteed to get a job through OCI. Did you do the write-on? I think law review helps people in your GPA range a ton. If you didn't do it, or you don't get on, express that you are more interested in moot court and that you plan to do it as a 2L (I am really hoping you did that 1L moot court competition to back up that statement).

As far as firms go, you are correct that those firms are out. I would include Skadden, Kirkland, and Gibson as being out as well. I would target firms like MoFo, Paul Hastings, Sheppard Mullin, Bingham, Alston and Bird, Proskauer, MSK, Manatt...even Latham isn't as grade selective if you're a good fit. Maybe Sidley too (can't remember how grade selective they are, but they seemed to emphasize fit as well). I also think satellite offices of firms HQed elsewhere (like A&P or Hogan Lovells) may be less grade selective, but don't hold me to that...plus you're typically vying for 1 of 2-4 summer positions as opposed to 10-20 in bigger offices, so it's tougher in that regard. Do you know what practice area you want to get into? That could help you target firms that specialize in that area (i.e. Cox Castle for real estate) so you wouldn't be applying there due to lower GPA cutoff, you'd be applying there due to your interest in their specialty.

You're going to need to hustle more at OCI (perhaps a bit less if you don't get law review), but if you're a good interviewer you should get a job with a good firm outside the elite at the top.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.55 GPA Which firms to bid on? I know MTO, Quinn, Irell, OMM are out

OMM is not out (especially if you get onto law review). I believe their cutoff is a 3.5. Otherwise, I agree that Latham and the other firms mentioned by the other poster are good picks. IMO Manatt and Sheppard should be "safety" firms with your GPA. I know a bunch of people my year with sub 3.5 GPAs who got an offer at Sheppard, and the people who ended up there were sub-3.5ers with no law review. Sheppard was the best firm they got an offer from. FYI Paul Hastings stated GPA cutoff is low (I believe my year it was a 3.3), but actual GPA cutoff for UCLA is unreasonably high (something like a 3.6 - as told to me by an associate on the hiring committee - which is why they tend to hire transfers). But the market may have softened that de facto gpa cutoff.

Remember that LA satellite firms have specifics focuses (e.g., Goodwin's market share is real estate), so do research and pair firms with your resume strength. If you have no prior background, then there are a bunch of litigation (Orrick) or general corporate (most) firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.55 GPA Which firms to bid on? I know MTO, Quinn, Irell, OMM are out

OMM is not out (especially if you get onto law review). I believe their cutoff is a 3.5. Otherwise, I agree that Latham and the other firms mentioned by the other poster are good picks. IMO Manatt and Sheppard should be "safety" firms with your GPA. I know a bunch of people my year with sub 3.5 GPAs who got an offer at Sheppard, and the people who ended up there were sub-3.5ers with no law review. Sheppard was the best firm they got an offer from. FYI Paul Hastings stated GPA cutoff is low (I believe my year it was a 3.3), but actual GPA cutoff for UCLA is unreasonably high (something like a 3.6 - as told to me by an associate on the hiring committee - which is why they tend to hire transfers). But the market may have softened that de facto gpa cutoff.

Remember that LA satellite firms have specifics focuses (e.g., Goodwin's market share is real estate), so do research and pair firms with your resume strength. If you have no prior background, then there are a bunch of litigation (Orrick) or general corporate (most) firms.

Dang, I don't like the fact that 3.3 cut off is actually a 3.6. QQ

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dang, I don't like the fact that 3.3 cut off is actually a 3.6. QQ

Not the anon above, but yes, it's true that median at UCLA is going to be an uphill battle. I know plenty of people around median (be it above or below) that struck out at OCI. This is a place where law review could help a ton.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:19 pm

So 3.3 seems to be what people think is median?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So 3.3 seems to be what people think is median?

The stated median at UCLA is like a 3.25-3.3, but it doesn't really matter. Just (generally) stick with the stated GPA thresholds on the PDF distributed to you.

Don't be afraid to have a couple reaches in your top 10 (especially if you get onto law review). I know two people with around 3.6's who got offers at Gibson (Gibson's cutoff is a 3.65), and I know someone with around a 3.6 who went to Quinn (Quinn cutoff is 3.7).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The stated median at UCLA is like a 3.25-3.3, but it doesn't really matter. Just (generally) stick with the stated GPA thresholds on the PDF distributed to you.

Don't be afraid to have a couple reaches in your top 10 (especially if you get onto law review). I know two people with around 3.6's who got offers at Gibson (Gibson's cutoff is a 3.65), and I know someone with around a 3.6 who went to Quinn (Quinn cutoff is 3.7).

I think Gibson is one of the most grade selective firms (from the people I know, their grades were closer to a 3.7 than a 3.6), but they care a lot about fit once you meet the cutoff (I know people with much higher GPAs that did not get offers and/or callbacks). That said, if you are in the 3.6's, you shouldn't be afraid to bid anywhere. Below that, I really wouldn't waste the bid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think Gibson is one of the most grade selective firms (from the people I know, their grades were closer to a 3.7 than a 3.6), but they care a lot about fit once you meet the cutoff (I know people with much higher GPAs that did not get offers and/or callbacks). That said, if you are in the 3.6's, you shouldn't be afraid to bid anywhere. Below that, I really wouldn't waste the bid.

(previous anon): all true. the 3 aforementioned people were all on LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 pm

3.5 GPA Does the top of my bid list okay?

Sheppard Mullin
MoFo
Manatt
Orrick
Milbank
Mitchell
Proskauser Rose
Hogan Lovells
Reed Smith
Bingham
Akin Gump
Holland
Winston Strawn
Alston Bird
Cox Castle
White & Case
Goodwin Proctor
Sidley Austin
Bryan Cave

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Add Latham.

For some reason, Gibson dropped it's GPA TO A 3.5 and OMM dropped to a 3.4 (If I remember the GPA cutoff PDF correctly). Someone currently summering at Gibson said the lowest GPA at Gibson from UCLA was a 3.6 (with law review), so keep that in mind. It'd probably help if you were a URM.

I also think you get 40 bids (I can't remember), so max them out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Add Latham.

For some reason, Gibson dropped it's GPA TO A 3.5 and OMM dropped to a 3.4 (If I remember the GPA cutoff PDF correctly). Someone currently summering at Gibson said the lowest GPA at Gibson from UCLA was a 3.6 (with law review), so keep that in mind. It'd probably help if you were a URM.

I also think you get 40 bids (I can't remember), so max them out.

Thanks! yeah, planning to use all 40. just posted the ones i had at the top. Notice any other firm(s) missing? Appreciate the help!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 pm

You got all the main ones. There are a bunch of LA satellite offices you missed, such as Cooley, DLA, Arnold Porter, etc. go through the list again and capture all the 3.3 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You got all the main ones. There are a bunch of LA satellite offices you missed, such as Cooley, DLA, Arnold Porter, etc. go through the list again and capture all the 3.3 firms.

I will add those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Since Sheppard is your number 1, be prepared for the "What is your greatest weakness?" and "Talk about a time you were a leader" type of questions. Super annoying, but if you want them you should have really good answers prepared for those types of questions. FWIW, they were the only firm I interviewed with that had these kinds of questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Does a 3.6 with law review have any shot at Irell (listed cutoff is 3.7)? Or is it wasting a bid and interviewer time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does a 3.6 with law review have any shot at Irell (listed cutoff is 3.7)? Or is it wasting a bid and interviewer time?

I wouldn't say NO shot, but definitely not a shoe-in. Law review will help, so just interview and maybe your personality/undergrad/WE will interest them. FYI, last year after schedules were released there were a decent number of Irell spots still open. I don't think a lot of people bid them because they a) didn't have the grades, b) didn't want to work in a sweatshop, or c) had no interest in IP lit (yes yes, I know this isn't all they do, but most associates do at least some IP lit because it's the firm's bread and butter). If you REALLY want Irell, go into the interview and convey that. I think specific interest in a firm can go a long way when everyone is just aimlessly applying everywhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 pm

So.... just thought I'd bump this UCLA thread. I don't know if there are many Bruins on here but was wondering if anybody had any info about firms that have given callbacks/offers, as I am still waiting on everything at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 pm

How'd everyone do? I had a friend who actually interviewed at UCLA's OCI at that ugly-ass hotel. He/she told me that selection rates will be about the same as last year's OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Has anyone heard from Littler?

Return to “Legal Employment”