School Doesn't Rank...Where do I fall in the class?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

School Doesn't Rank...Where do I fall in the class?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:27 am

So my school doesn't rank students but a lot of the firms have class rank cutoffs for OCI. The median is a 3.3 and I've got a 3.6. I know that puts me comfortably in the top half and probably in the top third. Am I about right or could I be higher or lower in the class?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:29 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smaug_

Re: School Doesn't Rank...Where do I fall in the class?

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:So my school doesn't rank students but a lot of the firms have class rank cutoffs for OCI. The median is a 3.3 and I've got a 3.6. I know that puts me comfortably in the top half and probably in the top third. Am I about right or could I be higher or lower in the class?

You need another datapoint.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:34 am

Your school should have some sort of instructions about how to report your GPA. If you are just doing it for yourself though, you did good, congratulations.

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:35 am

Also if you're reading the info off Symplicity for example, you can often ignore the class rank stuff. Some firms just throw that shit in there generically for all schools regardless of cut offs for that particular school. For example one firm I saw said "Top 15% Preferred" and probably dip down closer to median regularly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:Also if you're reading the info off Symplicity for example, you can often ignore the class rank stuff. Some firms just throw that shit in there generically for all schools regardless of cut offs for that particular school. For example one firm I saw said "Top 15% Preferred" and probably dip down closer to median regularly.

A friend I have in human resources had a posting for a position for top 20 law schools, law review preferred. They ended up offering the job to a Whittier graduate.

You always always try and get what you want, but sometimes you have to take what you get.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:32 am

But seriously, if you post your school anonymously people might be able to help you out. Nobody will be able to figure out who you are from a school name and GPA.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 am

Return to “Legal Employment”