What's the story behind Kasowitz Benson? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's the story behind Kasowitz Benson?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Never heard of the firm before, but it seems to recruit from the same band of students (GPA-wise) as firms like CGSH and DPW here @ my lower T14.

Vault rank 98 but they seem to have gotten a lot of positive buzz recently.

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... #org_63253

http://www.chambers-associate.com/Law/FirmFeature/63253

Anyone summer there? Hear stories? Suprised I hadn't heard of this firm until its name appeared on the OCI datasheet.

lolwat

Silver

Re: What's the story behind Kasowitz Benson?

Post by lolwat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 pm

No hard info but my impression of the firm (I did some research while applying there, but nothing in-depth because I never got an interview) is that it's similar to Quinn Emanuel except it's not all in your face about taking cases to trial & winning them and such (and probably less IP lit work).

wisdom

New

Post by wisdom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Very good litigation firm, probably gets better work than its Vault ranking. Similar to Boies in that its heavily driven by one partner (Kasowitz, obviously), who is a huge rainmaker whose book of business is a ton of the firm's work. So the same caveats people will tell you about Boies will apply here: if Kasowitz leaves (unlikely) or falls ill, or when he dies, the firm may well go belly-up.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 pm

PM me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm

They give cold offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

It's a poor man's Quinn Emanuel.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm

lolwat wrote:No hard info but my impression of the firm (I did some research while applying there, but nothing in-depth because I never got an interview) is that it's similar to Quinn Emanuel except it's not all in your face about taking cases to trial & winning them and such (and probably less IP lit work).
Have a friend SAing there and this is the impression he gives me as well. FWIW, they recently acquired IP offices in ATL and SV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They give cold offers.
Don't know where you got this info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Personal knowledge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:44 am

Interviewed at this place two years ago (as a 2L) and hated everything about it. Weird, stilted, overly-formal attitude. Everyone required to wear suits all the time, dark antiquey looking wood everywhere, people took themselves really seriously. Seemed like someone's try-hard notion of what an Important Law Firm is supposed to be. And I really doubt that they're hiring from the same pool as Cleary and Davis Polk, that was certainly not the case at my school.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at this place two years ago (as a 2L) and hated everything about it. Weird, stilted, overly-formal attitude. Everyone required to wear suits all the time, dark antiquey looking wood everywhere, people took themselves really seriously. Seemed like someone's try-hard notion of what an Important Law Firm is supposed to be. And I really doubt that they're hiring from the same pool as Cleary and Davis Polk, that was certainly not the case at my school.
Yah the highest GPA that did a Callback at Kasowitz from Cornell last year was barely above the average for Cleary or DPW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Personal knowledge.
I'm a summer in NY. Seems to be that everyone gets offers if you're normal and try your best. I'd be surprised if someone from my class got no offered/cold offered and I'm certain the news would get around. The story that we heard was that one person did not get an offer in the history of the summer program. I know you're going to say that of course I wouldn't hear about such things, but I honestly believe a cold offer would be an exceptional circumstance. The mentoring attorneys and recruiting people are constantly up in our business, too - I don't think news like that would come as a surprise in any event.

I love the firm. Everyone is nice and friendly and wants to meet/get to know the summers. Most everyone is great to work with and the work itself is quite substantive. The biggest caveat (and not a very big one at that) is some big personalities lit firms inevitably attract might be a turn off to some people. I'll be sad to leave in a few weeks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at this place two years ago (as a 2L) and hated everything about it. Weird, stilted, overly-formal attitude. Everyone required to wear suits all the time, dark antiquey looking wood everywhere, people took themselves really seriously. Seemed like someone's try-hard notion of what an Important Law Firm is supposed to be. And I really doubt that they're hiring from the same pool as Cleary and Davis Polk, that was certainly not the case at my school.
Completely disagree with all of this, except maybe the part about Cleary/DPW. I don't think KBTF competes with the giant firms of NYC at least wrt summer classes if for no other reason than it's structured a bit differently - it's entirely litigation (and a small, burgeoning real estate practice new within the last year or two) and thus attracts people who only want to do lit. But the firm is regularly on the other side of the big Vaults in cases all the time because we aren't conflicted for that same reason (i.e. we don't represent huge companies on the corporate side and thus can sue them.)

Firm dress is on the formal side, which is totally fine. Don't think the firm is overall too formal, and don't think people take themselves too seriously at all.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Personal knowledge.
I'm a summer in NY. Seems to be that everyone gets offers if you're normal and try your best. I'd be surprised if someone from my class got no offered/cold offered and I'm certain the news would get around. The story that we heard was that one person did not get an offer in the history of the summer program. I know you're going to say that of course I wouldn't hear about such things, but I honestly believe a cold offer would be an exceptional circumstance. The mentoring attorneys and recruiting people are constantly up in our business, too - I don't think news like that would come as a surprise in any event.

I love the firm. Everyone is nice and friendly and wants to meet/get to know the summers. Most everyone is great to work with and the work itself is quite substantive. The biggest caveat (and not a very big one at that) is some big personalities lit firms inevitably attract might be a turn off to some people. I'll be sad to leave in a few weeks.
Of course you wouldn't hear ab such things

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Kasowitz is a very good midsize litigation firm. Especially in NYC, one can certainly do a lot worse than to work at Kasowitz, and many here would be very fortunate to end up there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Still think a cold offer would be an exceptional circumstance. It's an intense environment and I would imagine that not everyone thrives. But MK makes it rain. There is work to go around.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:19 pm

How do they give cold offers? Do they not say anything, sort of just forget you exist and not reject or accept you? I was thinking of bidding on them for oci. I only want to bid on firms that have 100% offer rates. When do thy give the SA's their offers and how? email, phone call?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Personal knowledge.

To quote you: Seems to be that everyone gets offers if you're normal and try your best.
Your statement is vague.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Still think a cold offer would be an exceptional circumstance. It's an intense environment and I would imagine that not everyone thrives. But MK makes it rain. There is work to go around.
I just wanted to bump this and say to above anon: do you really still think it's such an exceptional circumstance?

(edited to reflect that i'm posing the question to the anon, and not rad lulz)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Hello Kasowiz recruiting department.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes, they do cold offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”