Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:42 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:OP here.

A big thanks to everyone who submitted feedback. It was a little disappointing to see people getting personal with the posts, but I really can't expect a lot from nameless, faceless blogging law school students. It was funny seeing what crazy situations people could come up with to justify why I was even asking the question. I was only asking for advice and both options were on the table, but people really seemed to blow the situation out of control. I also think that if a few of you knew the situation that I find myself in, you would have a bit more sympathy towards it.

I think almost everyone at my current school spent their time last year with their heads buried in books and had only a vague idea that this thing called OCI was looming, but didn't really know much about it and what to expect. Thanks to everyone who contributed substantively. Also thanks to everyone who flamed me; I got a pretty good laugh from it.

It turns out that about 85% of the employers coming to our OCI will be interviewing on the two days that I am still in the country. Works out for everyone.

I still ABSOLUTELY would not go

In major markets, shit moves FAST

Like people interviewing on Monday, getting the CB Monday night, and being out there on Friday or the Monday to CB

That's why you hear people saying "schedule your callbacks as soon as humanly possible"

You WILL lose out on some opportunities

You have a remarkably casual attitude towards messing up the most important thing in law school
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby Nammertat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:42 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:OP here.

A big thanks to everyone who submitted feedback. It was a little disappointing to see people getting personal with the posts, but I really can't expect a lot from nameless, faceless blogging law school students. It was funny seeing what crazy situations people could come up with to justify why I was even asking the question. I was only asking for advice and both options were on the table, but people really seemed to blow the situation out of control. I also think that if a few of you knew the situation that I find myself in, you would have a bit more sympathy towards it.

I think almost everyone at my current school spent their time last year with their heads buried in books and had only a vague idea that this thing called OCI was looming, but didn't really know much about it and what to expect. Thanks to everyone who contributed substantively. Also thanks to everyone who flamed me; I got a pretty good laugh from it.

It turns out that about 85% of the employers coming to our OCI will be interviewing on the two days that I am still in the country. Works out for everyone.


Once you get your bids back, it's not unprecedented to get those who are interviewing on the other days to reschedule. (especially if it's only a handful)

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:52 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:OP here.

A big thanks to everyone who submitted feedback. It was a little disappointing to see people getting personal with the posts, but I really can't expect a lot from nameless, faceless blogging law school students. It was funny seeing what crazy situations people could come up with to justify why I was even asking the question. I was only asking for advice and both options were on the table, but people really seemed to blow the situation out of control. I also think that if a few of you knew the situation that I find myself in, you would have a bit more sympathy towards it.

I think almost everyone at my current school spent their time last year with their heads buried in books and had only a vague idea that this thing called OCI was looming, but didn't really know much about it and what to expect. Thanks to everyone who contributed substantively. Also thanks to everyone who flamed me; I got a pretty good laugh from it.

It turns out that about 85% of the employers coming to our OCI will be interviewing on the two days that I am still in the country. Works out for everyone.


your casual attitude is alarming. like radlulz said, this is a fluid, boots on the ground situation. you cant just jetset after the opening salvo.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Wait what? Unless something changed, 85% of employers do not come in 2 days. OP if you want to talk to a Hastings student about this in more detail please pm me. Can't help but think you are making a big mistake.

swoozie
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby swoozie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm

If the situation is one in which people would be more sympathetic if they knew the details, you can’t fault them since…you didn’t give any details? “So stupidly I got roped into travelling with my family internationally during my school's Fall OCI.” makes it sound like you made travel plans and didn’t realize they overlapped with OCI (because if you did, why) and now it’s too late to refund your hotel or something.

Every upperclassman I have talked to about this stressed that you do not miss OCI. Can’t attend a friend’s wedding because of it, but she understands.

redsoxfaan3
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby redsoxfaan3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:15 pm

swoozie wrote:If the situation is one in which people would be more sympathetic if they knew the details, you can’t fault them since…you didn’t give any details? “So stupidly I got roped into travelling with my family internationally during my school's Fall OCI.” makes it sound like you made travel plans and didn’t realize they overlapped with OCI (because if you did, why) and now it’s too late to refund your hotel or something.

Every upperclassman I have talked to about this stressed that you do not miss OCI. Can’t attend a friend’s wedding because of it, but she understands.



I never said I faulted anyone. I said it was disappointing/humerous that people went from 0 - "I HATE YOU, DROP OUT!" so fast. I'll admit- I probably should just have phrased the topic as "What other ways are there to land a 2L summer job besides OCI" and everyone would have been (hopefully) more informative. I don't expect people to understand/sympathize with the travel plans so I never should have let that slip.

I guess I am a casual typer. I am not taking the situation "casually." If I were, I don't think I'd be trying to figure out a plan around this nearly two months out.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Missing OCI to go on a family vacation is quite possibly the single dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ever. Would you schedule a family vacation during your finals? This is even dumber.

At least you're not at a school with less than a 45% FT Legal employment rate, so you can totally afford to shit away your best chance at a decent job.

Oh wait.......

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Not to be alarmist, but I know people who had callbacks and accepted offers before the OCI week was done.

That said, emergencies come up, my wife gave birth during OCI and I had to reschedule some things. Everyone was really understanding but I didn't get an offer from anyone I rescheduled... Take from that what you will. Then again I ended up getting V30 and V50 from mass mailing so YMMV.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 pm

this has to be a flame. this is incompetence writ large

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:33 pm

For me, start to finish, OCI lasted less than three weeks. I had five offers and canceled some callbacks. OCI moves incredibly fast, and I agree with the above poster that you'll miss out on some opportunities due to being out of town.

If you really have access to 85% of the firms at your OCI, my guess is that you still squeeze out an offer, but you'll have a bunch of unnecessary stress and your offer may be from a firm you wouldn't otherwise accept.

I think the reason that everybody is giving you a hard time is because these will be the most important two weeks of law school and you've already done all the hard work. You've all but won the game, all you need to do is be accessible to employers for a few weeks. Now is not the time to get cute or take unnecessary risks.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:41 pm

seriously unless you are literally going to be receiving a large sum of cash from this trip i would not miss OCI for anything.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:48 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
I guess I am a casual typer. I am not taking the situation "casually." If I were, I don't think I'd be trying to figure out a plan around this nearly two months out.


You are taking it casually, because non-casual law students would say no to their parents when it comes to OCI.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm

If this isn't a flame, this guy isn't listening or doesn't want to hear it. His responses are just "no it'll be ok, thanks for over-reacting." He's not getting it. He doesn't understand the importance of OCI - he's said as much - and when people are shocked and try and explain, he brushes it off. Whatever then.

redsoxfaan3
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby redsoxfaan3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:59 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:If this isn't a flame, this guy isn't listening or doesn't want to hear it. His responses are just "no it'll be ok, thanks for over-reacting." He's not getting it. He doesn't understand the importance of OCI - he's said as much - and when people are shocked and try and explain, he brushes it off. Whatever then.


I really do appreciate the responses. Truly, I really do. But there is a difference between not listening and not agreeing. I am listening to everyone's comments and just because I haven't radically altered my plans in a matter of two days based on a few users' feedback doesn't mean I am ignoring you. I'm not even dead set on BigLaw, as a few have pointed out. It is now painfully obvious that most if not all people on here think that it is a devastating mistake to miss out on any OCI time. I get it. Thanks.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby lolwat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:10 pm

good luck .

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm not sure you grasp just how significant this is. You may be making a colloidal mistake.

good luck with your search, though. (I sincerely wish you the best)

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:If this isn't a flame, this guy isn't listening or doesn't want to hear it. His responses are just "no it'll be ok, thanks for over-reacting." He's not getting it. He doesn't understand the importance of OCI - he's said as much - and when people are shocked and try and explain, he brushes it off. Whatever then.


I really do appreciate the responses. Truly, I really do. But there is a difference between not listening and not agreeing. I am listening to everyone's comments and just because I haven't radically altered my plans in a matter of two days based on a few users' feedback doesn't mean I am ignoring you. I'm not even dead set on BigLaw, as a few have pointed out. It is now painfully obvious that most if not all people on here think that it is a devastating mistake to miss out on any OCI time. I get it. Thanks.


Once you feel the likely effects of your decision, agreement with what we are all saying will probably follow soon after. Don't put yourself in that position. Hiring is like a bunch of people hanging from a ledge, struggling to pull themselves up. When you are hanging for your life, you don't voluntarily loosen your grip. You take every inch you are given and then some. To voluntarily throw away an advantage in that kind of situation is either arrogance or stupidity (and likely a bit of both).

That being said, you clearly have it set in your head that you are sticking with your plans regardless. If that is the case, you damn well better get things rolling early, and by early I mean now. Firms will give you little if any time after OCI is over. So you need to start networking, making some smart emails, and meeting people now. And you need to start working on whatever excuse you plan to give. Again, have you considered what you will say to firms when they ask why you are contacting them outside of OCI channels? For non-OCI firms, you don't have as big a problem, but you need to very carefully consider how you will approach OCI firms to set something up. Do not wait on this. Get the process rolling now.
Last edited by kaiser on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP

AC Vegas
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby AC Vegas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP


The worst thing would be to miss the trip of a lifetime, do OCI, and not get a job. OP, don't let this guy win, go on your trip!

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby Bronte » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:47 pm

AC Vegas wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP


The worst thing would be to miss the trip of a lifetime, do OCI, and not get a job. OP, don't let this guy win, go on your trip!


I hope you're joking. If not, this is one of the most egregious misunderstandings of probability and expected value I've seen... well, ever.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby 2014 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Lol that if we knew the situation we would be more sympathetic. Again, the situation needs to either 1. Have a tangible value of arguably hundreds of thousands of dollars, or 2. Have an equally high subjective value which would imply someone VERY important to you is dying. Unless you are planning out a family member's death 2 months in advance, neither seems likely.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP


in all seriousness, this is why some ppl without top grades always manage to hustle a big law job---because ppl like OP are only good at school but struggle at the job search. OP -- you are 100% making the wrong call. have fun on your trip. take lots of pics.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm

AC Vegas wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP


The worst thing would be to miss the trip of a lifetime, do OCI, and not get a job. OP, don't let this guy win, go on your trip!


You are an idiot.

"Wow, fun trip! Sure, I have no job and big debt, and just irreparably damaged my entire career trajectory, but damn, what a trip!"

AC Vegas
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby AC Vegas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm still with the OP here. His #yolo reasoning is sound AND trendy.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby lolwat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:58 pm

kaiser wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP


The worst thing would be to miss the trip of a lifetime, do OCI, and not get a job. OP, don't let this guy win, go on your trip!


You are an idiot.

"Wow, fun trip! Sure, I have no job and big debt, and just irreparably damaged my entire career trajectory, but damn, what a trip!"


Sarcasm, I'm sure.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.