Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Georgia Avenue

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 am

2014 wrote:parents who funded lawl school and are pressuring him. Time to sack up.

ding ding ding

OP gives me the vibe that he doesn't really want to do OCI/be in law school anyway, so just go ahead and drop out if that's the case

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 am

If it's a family wedding or something like that, just fly out of the day of the event and come straight back. No need to miss more than a couple days at most, and you could probably schedule around that.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 am

This would only make sense if substantial inheritence money is on the line that would offset the money lost by missing out on a good job.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:09 pm

to contradict everyone, i say don't worry about it OP, and go on the trip with your family. live your life; OCI and law hiring is just one long bullshit hustle. if you really care about getting biglaw, spend the summer in the city you want to work and get in touch with recruiters in june and july. posters on TLS will try and convince you all this law school crap is the end of the world, but you have to decide for yourself what's important to you.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to contradict everyone, i say don't worry about it OP, and go on the trip with your family. live your life; OCI and law hiring is just one long bullshit hustle. if you really care about getting biglaw, spend the summer in the city you want to work and get in touch with recruiters in june and july. posters on TLS will try and convince you all this law school crap is the end of the world, but you have to decide for yourself what's important to you.

nice use of anon to give shitty advice

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:16 pm

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:to contradict everyone, i say don't worry about it OP, and go on the trip with your family. live your life; OCI and law hiring is just one long bullshit hustle. if you really care about getting biglaw, spend the summer in the city you want to work and get in touch with recruiters in june and july. posters on TLS will try and convince you all this law school crap is the end of the world, but you have to decide for yourself what's important to you.

needs to be outted

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Borhas wrote:
stillwater wrote:

needs to be outted

I hope that OP wrote this awful "just be yourself-type bullshit"

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:33 pm

at no point could any trip be worth more than OCI, unless a nigerian prince is offering you large sums of cash and you must deliver it in person.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:37 pm

We are halfway through June already, how is this guy supposed to just "spend the summer" in his chosen city if he is not currently there? Just randomly show up, should "I have arrived" and report to the courthouse or something?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm

This is shit

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:55 pm

You are a fool, and how about you own up to your shitty advice by not making it anonymous

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Borhas wrote:
needs to be outted

outing myself, because you're sooo sensitive. working your ass off at OCI and mass mailing a zillion firms feels great when you're still unemployed in october. even better when you cancel on a major family event to do it. the emotional rollercoaster was NOT worth it for me, and i would have appreciated some guidance as a rising 2L that OCI was not the most important thing ever. if OP wanted to run the rat race he would have already told his family to forget it and not started this thread.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 pm

courtneylove wrote:
Borhas wrote:
needs to be outted

outing myself, because you're sooo sensitive. working your ass off at OCI and mass mailing a zillion firms feels great when you're still unemployed in october. even better when you cancel on a major family event to do it. the emotional rollercoaster was NOT worth it for me, and i would have appreciated some guidance as a rising 2L that OCI was not the most important thing ever. if OP wanted to run the rat race he would have already told his family to forget it and not started this thread.

still shitty advice

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 pm

courtneylove wrote:
Borhas wrote:
needs to be outted

"I award you no points, and my God have mercy on your soul."

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Everybody fell for this flame?

Dude, if you really want to go on this trip, go for it.

The calculation is: missing out on biglaw and struggling to land a 40k a year job with your JD alongside the THOUSANDS of others (both top students and not) who are going to be crowding the market after OCI to go on a trip during law school vs ... getting a 160k job because your a shoe-in with these grades at many big firms as long as you can interview half-decently (although the lack of common sense displayed in this thread might indicate future interview struggles)

quite simple. you can choose your own adventure.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
courtneylove wrote:
Borhas wrote:
needs to be outted

This is shit

For someone who wants big law,

And has the grades to make it a reality

OCI is the most important part of law skool

Our CDO was at least upfront about this and basically said anything short of a LITERAL life or death is not worth missing OCI for those with decent grades and BigLaw intentions.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 pm

courtneylove wrote:
Borhas wrote:
needs to be outted

if OP didn't want to run in the rat race he should not have gone to law school

if OP doesn't want to run the rate race he should drop out of law school

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 pm

if you look at OPs posts, hes interested in PI and hes also currently trying to transfer to SLS and Cal so maybe it wouldnt be as much of a loss for him as most

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm

courtneylove wrote:
Borhas wrote:
needs to be outted

Sorry about your experience, but you'd be singing a different tune if OCI had worked out.

maximator

Postby maximator » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:55 pm

dstars823 wrote:if you look at OPs posts, hes interested in PI and hes also currently trying to transfer to SLS and Cal so maybe it wouldnt be as much of a loss for him as mos

If this is right then that changes things. OP, just keep in mind that getting a biglaw job will be very difficult if you skip OCI. And landing a PI job is by no means easy. But if you are positive you want PI, then I say go on the trip.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm

maximator wrote:
dstars823 wrote:if you look at OPs posts, hes interested in PI and hes also currently trying to transfer to SLS and Cal so maybe it wouldnt be as much of a loss for him as mos

If this is right then that changes things. OP, just keep in mind that getting a biglaw job will be very difficult if you skip OCI. And landing a PI job is by no means easy. But if you are positive you want PI, then I say go on the trip.

This is not wrong, but I would add a caution. A lot of people come in thinking they are positive they want PI, but when OCI rolls around, they go ahead and do it, and they go to a firm. They get nervous because the PI hiring schedule is so much less predictable than big firm hiring, and they think hey, I'll get some good experience, get myself in a good financial situation, and then go into an area I'm more interested in. (And indeed, people do leave private practice for the government, and in my observation sometimes nonprofit agencies as well.) It's not a silly decision. And it's one of those decisions no one thinks that they personally will make. I would not deny yourself the opportunity to make that decision.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:31 pm

you have three options:

1) don't go on the trip

2) drop out of school for a year, do OCI in 2014

3) don't get a job

redsoxfaan3

Postby redsoxfaan3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm

OP here.

A big thanks to everyone who submitted feedback. It was a little disappointing to see people getting personal with the posts, but I really can't expect a lot from nameless, faceless blogging law school students. It was funny seeing what crazy situations people could come up with to justify why I was even asking the question. I was only asking for advice and both options were on the table, but people really seemed to blow the situation out of control. I also think that if a few of you knew the situation that I find myself in, you would have a bit more sympathy towards it.

I think almost everyone at my current school spent their time last year with their heads buried in books and had only a vague idea that this thing called OCI was looming, but didn't really know much about it and what to expect. Thanks to everyone who contributed substantively. Also thanks to everyone who flamed me; I got a pretty good laugh from it.

It turns out that about 85% of the employers coming to our OCI will be interviewing on the two days that I am still in the country. Works out for everyone.

Return to “Legal Employment”