Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 am

In this thread: some special snowflake asks people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about for advice, then tells them they are wrong when it's not the answer he wants to hear.

TaipeiMort

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 am

cinephile wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
<OP is sitting in his crappy PI position hoping that he can somehow move up to a better position, continually gets passed over by people who went to OCI, got biglaw, and lateraled out of their big and midlaw firms without as much relevant experience because they are perceived as smarter than him. He consoles himself that it wasn't his fault, and that he put his family first by going on a trip. Eventually leaves his PI job because of lack of upward mobility and teaches public high school in East Bay-- kids find out he was a former lawyer and refer to him as "the judge." He secretly hates this moniker.>

This sounds like a pretty great outcome, actually. 100x better than biglaw.

Yeah, doing OCI is good because it's much easier to get a job that way, but let's not get crazy. Not everyone wants that.

OP: I was just messing. Seriously, if I could do it again, I would have networked more with firms not coming to my OCI starting around July 15th. I got good offers, but I think that I would have benefited by being a bit more around the block you know? There are always a bunch if firms/represented offices who don't show up to a particular school's OCI. If I were you, I would network like crazy at these firms and visit the city prior to OCI. I bet if you played your cards right with those grades, you would already have an offer in hand come OCI. If not, you may realize how important full OCI is. Also, through this experience you will be able to better identify the attributes you want in a firm (e.g., "I want a tech transaction practice in Palo Alto at a firm that staffs leanlywith no more than 50 attorneys in the office").

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
cinephile wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
<OP is sitting in his crappy PI position hoping that he can somehow move up to a better position, continually gets passed over by people who went to OCI, got biglaw, and lateraled out of their big and midlaw firms without as much relevant experience because they are perceived as smarter than him. He consoles himself that it wasn't his fault, and that he put his family first by going on a trip. Eventually leaves his PI job because of lack of upward mobility and teaches public high school in East Bay-- kids find out he was a former lawyer and refer to him as "the judge." He secretly hates this moniker.>

Yeah, doing OCI is good because it's much easier to get a job that way, but let's not get crazy. Not everyone wants that.

OP: I was just messing. Seriously, if I could do it again, I would have networked more with firms not coming to my OCI starting around July 15th. I got good offers, but I think that I would have benefited by being a bit more around the block you know? There are always a bunch if firms/represented offices who don't show up to a particular school's OCI. If I were you, I would network like crazy at these firms and visit the city prior to OCI. I bet if you played your cards right with those grades, you would already have an offer in hand come OCI. If not, you may realize how important full OCI is. Also, through this experience you will be able to better identify the attributes you want in a firm (e.g., "I want a tech transaction practice in Palo Alto at a firm that staffs leanlywith no more than 50 attorneys in the office").

Dont be afraid to tell OP that if he doesnt get biglawl that he might as well pack it in, get a motel room in Whothefuckcares, USA and wait to die.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:30 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:44 am

Dear OP,

People do get pretty out of hand on this site. There is a real group think mentality and the idea of someone not maximizing their chances at biglalw (somewhat understandably) riles people up. That being said, you really owe it to yourself, not your 20-something self, (assuming you are probably early 20s) but to your future self, to make sure you do everything you can to maximize your opportunities. What you do now, this summer, CAN definitely impact your entire career. Or so they say.

Best of luck!

AC Vegas

Postby AC Vegas » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:30 am

Bronte wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP

The worst thing would be to miss the trip of a lifetime, do OCI, and not get a job. OP, don't let this guy win, go on your trip!

I hope you're joking. If not, this is one of the most egregious misunderstandings of probability and expected value I've seen... well, ever.

Please elaborate.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:14 am

I'm a rising 3L at Hastings, and while I wouldn't recommend skipping most of OCI, I know someone who skipped about 75% of OCI last year and is currently an SA at a V75 firm, so it's possible.

PM me if you want to talk.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:59 am

OP just trying to cop that International Law SA.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 pm

OP - a lot of firms do "rolling" callbacks - they do the call back, and if they like that person, immediately offer them. If not, then they do another call back, etc., until the class is full. For this, getting in early is KEY.

For my callback that lead to the job I have today, they offered the call back the day after OCI, and had me in the office for the CB within the week. The offer came a day or so after my CB.

Just so you know how it works....

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 pm

This thread seems very cathartic for everyone.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:40 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:What you do now, this summer, CAN definitely impact your entire career. Or so they say.

:?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 pm

GET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
cinephile wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Goddamn it

I read the whole thread waiting to say this, and then you beat me to it.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
2014 wrote:You literally can make it, you clearly don't want to, but you definitely can.

It's your career, no one here has a magic answer. Mass mail and hope for the best but otherwise prepare for hundreds of thousands of lost income over your career. I hope the trip is worth it.

So, the point of these boards is to give advice to people who have not gone through this process before. I have not gone through this process before so I am trying to figure out the best solution to this problem. I'm not advocating for one position or the other; I'm just trying to see what I can do.

No one else has poor enough judgment to skip OCI after working so hard at law school. If you are top 5% at a T14, sure you will likely be okay. If you are at a lower ranked school, I probably wouldnt miss it. Its dumb to ask "but what if I cant go to the most important event of my law school career" because you can go, you would be choosing not to.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 pm

THis kid is so dumb. He would rather forgoe $20,000 to $30,000 so he can spend five days with mommy and daddy. Do you not have a full month of vacation in Dec/Jan? Do you not have a full month of vacation after your 2L summer? Even if this trip is $5,000, you CANCEL IT or PAY the change fee to go in december. Alone. You don't deserve Big Law if you are really contemplating this...

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 am

sparty99 wrote:THis kid is so dumb. He would rather forgoe $20,000 to $30,000 so he can spend five days with mommy and daddy. Do you not have a full month of vacation in Dec/Jan? Do you not have a full month of vacation after your 2L summer? Even if this trip is $5,000, you CANCEL IT or PAY the change fee to go in december. Alone. You don't deserve Big Law if you are really contemplating this...
There we go. Everyone just get it out of your system.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:58 am

wert3813 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:THis kid is so dumb. He would rather forgoe $20,000 to $30,000 so he can spend five days with mommy and daddy. Do you not have a full month of vacation in Dec/Jan? Do you not have a full month of vacation after your 2L summer? Even if this trip is $5,000, you CANCEL IT or PAY the change fee to go in december. Alone. You don't deserve Big Law if you are really contemplating this...

says the baseless enabler

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:11 am

stillwater wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

says the baseless enabler
What? I haven't enabled anyone or anything.

Ness Lee

Postby Ness Lee » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:38 am

This has troll written all over it. Let's move on everybody.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 pm

So what happened?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:11 pm

lol this was a great thread

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:33 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:This is an odd topic. Do you not understand that in law school, the ENTIRE FRICKEN SYSTEM is setup so that those with superior 1L grades land superior jobs at OCI? The entire thing.

YOU ARE SCREWING YOURSELF AND NOTHING YOU DO CAN MITIGATE THE HARM YOU ARE DOING TO YOUR CAREER PROSPECTS.

You're a fricken adult. You say "no, I can't, it will ruin my career prospects. I'm sorry [whatever family thing is calling] is happening, but that time is simply the single most important time to be present in law school. I am dooming my lifelong earning power if I skip that. I worked hard my 1L year, earned top grades, and if I skip OCI, I have wasted all that hard work."

Jesus, this can't be a real post. I don't feel bad saying this - if you skip this, for ANY reason, you're a fricken jackass. You are potentially costing yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don't be fucking stupid.

TITCR

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Well-deserved necro of a GOAT flame.

Return to “Legal Employment”