Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redsoxfaan3

New

Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Post by redsoxfaan3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 pm

*edited for clarity

. I am a rising 2L in the top 5% of my class. Will I be able to get a 2L position if I no-show to OCI? Can I do OCI from a remote location? Any advice is appreciated
Last edited by redsoxfaan3 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wahoos

New

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Post by Wahoos » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 pm

You don't go on the trip

redsoxfaan3

New

Post by redsoxfaan3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Wahoos wrote:You don't go on the trip
So say I literally cannot miss it. What then

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
Prioritize.

Alternatively, start mass mailing and network your butt off. OCI isn't the only way to get a job.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
I doubt that

You miss the trip dude

I don't care if the trip is to the funeral of your overseas mom or whatever

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
You will be giving up some number, perhaps dozens given your grades, of interviews with firms that have a history of hiring 2Ls with your grades from your school.

It will be very difficult to get a biglaw summer associate position without doing OCI. Sure, you can (and should) do mass mailing, but so much of hiring comes from OCI it's a big blow to miss it. Especially if you want to work for the firms that come to OCI at your school, that's the way they tend to fill their classes. I'd really, really skip the trip.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsoxfaan3

New

Post by redsoxfaan3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 pm

So the OCI period for my school is August 5-14 and the trip is August 7-16, any way I can somehow kindly ask each employer to interview me on the 5th and 6th?

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:44 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:So the OCI period for my school is August 5-14 and the trip is August 7-16, any way I can somehow kindly ask each employer to interview me on the 5th and 6th?
I don't think you want to let employers know you couldn't make yourself available for the one thing in your entire law school career you should be available for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:44 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:So the OCI period for my school is August 5-14 and the trip is August 7-16, any way I can somehow kindly ask each employer to interview me on the 5th and 6th?
Usually employers show up just for the day only

Dude you are at Hastings?

You need to do OCI

Big firm employers aren't exactly falling all over themselves to hire Hastings grads

biglawww

New

Post by biglawww » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm

You are probably going to get a job outside of OGI if you're top 5% at a top school. But you may not want to tell the firms you're missing OGI because of family trip. They want young associate to treat work > family.

It's your choice but I personally find it immature.

redsoxfaan3

New

Post by redsoxfaan3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 pm

biglawww wrote:You are probably going to get a job outside of OGI if you're top 5% at a top school. But you may not want to tell the firms you're missing OGI because of family trip. They want young associate to treat work > family.

It's not a typical Home Alone-style family trip. I am not going to explain it here, but I am trying to figure out options if I literally cannot make it.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
redsoxfaan3 wrote:
I doubt that

You miss the trip dude

I don't care if the trip is to the funeral of your overseas mom or whatever
Agreed. There's really no valid reason that you should be missing OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 pm

yea, this is really indefensible for you to miss it. if you can't make this, why did you go to law school if you can't commit to doing what you need to do to make it worth it?

your family most of all should understand this.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biglawww

New

Post by biglawww » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
biglawww wrote:You are probably going to get a job outside of OGI if you're top 5% at a top school. But you may not want to tell the firms you're missing OGI because of family trip. They want young associate to treat work > family.

It's not a typical Home Alone-style family trip. I am not going to explain it here, but I am trying to figure out options if I literally cannot make it.
You can try to make the firm to interview you before OGI. But it usually makes sense for people who want market X, work in market X during the summer and go to school in city Y.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Hastings is not a top school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 pm

You literally can make it, you clearly don't want to, but you definitely can.

It's your career, no one here has a magic answer. Mass mail and hope for the best but otherwise prepare for hundreds of thousands of lost income over your career. I hope the trip is worth it.

redsoxfaan3

New

Post by redsoxfaan3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

2014 wrote:You literally can make it, you clearly don't want to, but you definitely can.

It's your career, no one here has a magic answer. Mass mail and hope for the best but otherwise prepare for hundreds of thousands of lost income over your career. I hope the trip is worth it.
So, the point of these boards is to give advice to people who have not gone through this process before. I have not gone through this process before so I am trying to figure out the best solution to this problem. I'm not advocating for one position or the other; I'm just trying to see what I can do.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:So stupidly I got roped into travelling with my family internationally
This doesn't sound like something you can't miss

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
2014 wrote:You literally can make it, you clearly don't want to, but you definitely can.

So, the point of these boards is to give advice to people who have not gone through this process before. I have not gone through this process before so I am trying to figure out the best solution to this problem. I'm not advocating for one position or the other; I'm just trying to see what I can do.
The best solution is the one you don't want to hear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:

The best solution (and really, the only solution) is to not go on this trip. It's not what you want to hear, but there's really no other way about it.

edit: scooped

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

This is an odd topic. Do you not understand that in law school, the ENTIRE FRICKEN SYSTEM is setup so that those with superior 1L grades land superior jobs at OCI? The entire thing.

YOU ARE SCREWING YOURSELF AND NOTHING YOU DO CAN MITIGATE THE HARM YOU ARE DOING TO YOUR CAREER PROSPECTS.

You're a fricken adult. You say "no, I can't, it will ruin my career prospects. I'm sorry [whatever family thing is calling] is happening, but that time is simply the single most important time to be present in law school. I am dooming my lifelong earning power if I skip that. I worked hard my 1L year, earned top grades, and if I skip OCI, I have wasted all that hard work."

Jesus, this can't be a real post. I don't feel bad saying this - if you skip this, for ANY reason, you're a fricken jackass. You are potentially costing yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don't be fucking stupid.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

It sounds like you "have" to go because it's already paid for, but even if it was really expensive, if your family wastes a few thousand dollars that's well worth it for you to have a good chance at gainful employment which you can use to pay them back. And yes, the point of these boards is advice: DO OCI.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”