Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ludo!

Gold

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c Travelling Abroad

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 pm

The worst part of this is that OP will stubbornly refuse to listen to reason, but then by some miracle will luck out and get a job because God hates me, and then come back and gloat about how right he was

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

lolwat wrote:
kaiser wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I wish only the very worst things to happen to this OP
The worst thing would be to miss the trip of a lifetime, do OCI, and not get a job. OP, don't let this guy win, go on your trip!
You are an idiot.

"Wow, fun trip! Sure, I have no job and big debt, and just irreparably damaged my entire career trajectory, but damn, what a trip!"
Sarcasm, I'm sure.
Exaggeration, of course. But you be surprised how close to the truth it can be. Those who fall through the cracks at OCI often end up with less than ideal positions to start, and these positions often don't provide the same level of training and door-opening prestige as the larger firms that recruit at OCI. That resume line is a useful tool for your next job a few years down the line, and so on. So the effects of falling through the cracks indeed do change your trajectory for many years. Will it irreparably ruin things? Not necessarily. But it can have profound, and long-reaching effects.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:The worst part of this is that OP will stubbornly refuse to listen to reason, but then by some miracle will luck out and get a job because God hates me, and then come back and gloat about how right he was
OP already responded. TL;DR He figured out a way to have his cake and eat it.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm

laotze wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:The worst part of this is that OP will stubbornly refuse to listen to reason, but then by some miracle will luck out and get a job because God hates me, and then come back and gloat about how right he was
Sounds like OP likes pie anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:08 pm

laotze wrote:
You an 0L?

1) no he didn't

2) get out of the law students' forum

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm

kaiser wrote:Exaggeration, of course. But you be surprised how close to the truth it can be. Those who fall through the cracks at OCI often end up with less than ideal positions to start, and these positions often don't provide the same level of training and door-opening prestige as the larger firms that recruit at OCI. That resume line is a useful tool for your next job a few years down the line, and so on. So the effects of falling through the cracks indeed do change your trajectory for many years. Will it irreparably ruin things? Not necessarily. But it can have profound, and long-reaching effects.
Oh, I meant that I was sure AC Vegas's post was sarcasm. Not yours.

I fully agree with you. My resume is all fucked up and it's more than likely all because I didn't have a 2L SA position. (Not sarcasm.)
Last edited by lolwat on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
laotze wrote:
You an 0L?

1) no he didn't

Lol the scorn of someone who has suffered through 1L.... is surprisingly comforting to me! :D

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:12 pm

lolwat wrote:
kaiser wrote:Exaggeration, of course. But you be surprised how close to the truth it can be. Those who fall through the cracks at OCI often end up with less than ideal positions to start, and these positions often don't provide the same level of training and door-opening prestige as the larger firms that recruit at OCI. That resume line is a useful tool for your next job a few years down the line, and so on. So the effects of falling through the cracks indeed do change your trajectory for many years. Will it irreparably ruin things? Not necessarily. But it can have profound, and long-reaching effects.
Oh, I meant that I was sure AC Vegas's post was sarcasm. Not yours.

I fully agree with you. My resume is all fucked up and it's more than likely all because I didn't have a 2L SA position. (Not sarcasm.)
Gotcha. Yeah, thinking it may have been sarcastic flaming. But since I'm always dead straight on these forums, the flaming sometimes goes right over my head.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
laotze wrote:
You an 0L?

1) no he didn't

Am I missing something, or did he not say he discovered he will in fact make OCI for like 85% of the interviews prior to leaving on his trip? Obviously he's not getting to keep the whole cake, but that sure as hell sounds better than fucking himself over entirely by swallowing the damn thing without leftovers.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:17 pm

laotze wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
laotze wrote:
You an 0L?

1) no he didn't

Am I missing something, or did he not say he discovered he will in fact make OCI for like 85% of the interviews prior to leaving on his trip? Obviously he's not getting to keep the whole cake, but that sure as hell sounds better than fucking himself over entirely by swallowing the damn thing without leftovers.
whats he gonna do about callbacks? get out of this forum 0L fool

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:21 pm

rad lulz wrote: Fucking lol

That's not how OCI works

You should probably stop poasting
Ok, thanks for the helpful explanations in lieu of condescending flames.

But in all seriousness, good to know. I take it there are multiple callbacks or something to that effect? Over how long a period of time do those typically continue?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:23 pm

laotze wrote:

That's not how OCI works

But in all seriousness, good to know. I take it there are multiple callbacks or something to that effect? Over how long a period of time do those typically continue?
Dude, you're not allowed to ask questions here:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=189981

Go read all stickied posts at the top of the forum and come back when you're in law school.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Welcome to TLS

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 pm

laotze wrote:

That's not how OCI works

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
laotze wrote:

That's not how OCI works

Dude, you're not allowed to ask questions here:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=189981

Go read all stickied posts at the top of the forum and come back when you're in law school.
Thanks, didn't realize. Accessed topic through "new posts," missed the sub rules. Will be more cautious in the future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
laotze wrote:

That's not how OCI works

Ok, as a fellow 0L please shut up. Not only are these very questions answered IN THIS THREAD. There is an entire sticky dedicated to how the OCI process works (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=161018). Instead of shitting up this thread, try reading and lurking like you're supposed to. JFC
You. I like you

TaipeiMort

Silver

Re: Have to Miss OCI b/c of International Family Trip

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:If this isn't a flame, this guy isn't listening or doesn't want to hear it. His responses are just "no it'll be ok, thanks for over-reacting." He's not getting it. He doesn't understand the importance of OCI - he's said as much - and when people are shocked and try and explain, he brushes it off. Whatever then.
I really do appreciate the responses. Truly, I really do. But there is a difference between not listening and not agreeing. I am listening to everyone's comments and just because I haven't radically altered my plans in a matter of two days based on a few users' feedback doesn't mean I am ignoring you. I'm not even dead set on BigLaw, as a few have pointed out. It is now painfully obvious that most if not all people on here think that it is a devastating mistake to miss out on any OCI time. I get it. Thanks.
OP's life:

Employers at Hastings' OCI: "Well, we already have a bunch of kids from Stanford and Berkeley and other T14 schools, and California's legal market is struggling, but lets go to Hastings and see if we can't find one or two decent people to take on, I mean Jim in capital markets is from Hastings and he was order of the Coif and a pretty decent attorney."

OP: I am only going to be here two days, and then will go on a trip somewhere because I am obnoxious and prideful.

<OP shows up at days one and two of OCI, gets only two CBs>

Firm Hiring People: "Hey OP, we are ecstatic to have you on a CB!"

OP: "I am going to be gone the next 7 days, but don't worry, I'll be back!"

<Firm hiring people demark OP as someone not interested in their firm, notice he is from Hastings and not hustling for them, soft-ding him, and all spots are filled by the time he gets onto any CBs>

OP: "Well, its okay, I'm special and I will get a job some other way"

<OP tells all of his Hastings friends that OCI and big firm life wasn't for him, that he is a public interest person, OP still tries to apply to firms over the next couple of years with no success, all other worthwhile non-PI entry-level employers assume he is aspie or has poor judgement for not getting biglaw with his Order of the Coif grades, which is true.>

---10 years from now ---

<OP is sitting in his crappy PI position hoping that he can somehow move up to a better position, continually gets passed over by people who went to OCI, got biglaw, and lateraled out of their big and midlaw firms without as much relevant experience because they are perceived as smarter than him. He consoles himself that it wasn't his fault, and that he put his family first by going on a trip. Eventually leaves his PI job because of lack of upward mobility and teaches public high school in East Bay-- kids find out he was a former lawyer and refer to him as "the judge." He secretly hates this moniker.>

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:06 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
<OP is sitting in his crappy PI position hoping that he can somehow move up to a better position, continually gets passed over by people who went to OCI, got biglaw, and lateraled out of their big and midlaw firms without as much relevant experience because they are perceived as smarter than him. He consoles himself that it wasn't his fault, and that he put his family first by going on a trip. Eventually leaves his PI job because of lack of upward mobility and teaches public high school in East Bay-- kids find out he was a former lawyer and refer to him as "the judge." He secretly hates this moniker.>
This sounds like a pretty great outcome, actually. 100x better than biglaw.

Yeah, doing OCI is good because it's much easier to get a job that way, but let's not get crazy. Not everyone wants that.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 pm

everyone wants biglawl. the people that dont want biglawl cant have biglawl

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:47 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:*edited for clarity

. I am a rising 2L in the top 5% of my class. Will I be able to get a 2L position if I no-show to OCI? Can I do OCI from a remote location? Any advice is appreciated
Ask your career services. I have never heard of anyone requesting an OCI interview from a remote location. Firms set up considerable time and investment to have attorneys take time from their jobs and clients to interview and select top candidates. The firm is willing to do interviews there and then and complete their summer class as efficiently as possible. There isn't a way to schedule to the whims of one student out of all the interviews being held at all the schools. There are many more qualified people than there are summer positions. And there are plenty of people in line ahead of you competing for those jobs.

I don't want to guess how firms would react to this request given these circumstances. Maybe if you were a top student at a top school doing some insanely prestigious overseas work, firms will work with your schedule. I'm not sure you can realistically expect any accommodation.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 pm

stillwater wrote:everyone wants biglawl. the people that dont want biglawl cant have biglawl
Lol no, don't get carried away. I'm down with talking op out of their stupid decision but comments like this and taipeimort's are dumb.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 am

redsoxfaan3 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:If this isn't a flame, this guy isn't listening or doesn't want to hear it. His responses are just "no it'll be ok, thanks for over-reacting." He's not getting it. He doesn't understand the importance of OCI - he's said as much - and when people are shocked and try and explain, he brushes it off. Whatever then.
I really do appreciate the responses. Truly, I really do. But there is a difference between not listening and not agreeing. I am listening to everyone's comments and just because I haven't radically altered my plans in a matter of two days based on a few users' feedback doesn't mean I am ignoring you. I'm not even dead set on BigLaw, as a few have pointed out. It is now painfully obvious that most if not all people on here think that it is a devastating mistake to miss out on any OCI time. I get it. Thanks.
The thing is, to be honest, you're not in a position to have an opinion. You have never done OCI. You've never tried to get a job as a lawyer or a summer associate. You just don't have any clue at all, and every post demonstrates that. All you can do is listen to us. Frankly, totally ignoring the advice in this thread, as you are doing, is just stupid and self-absorbed. I don't like personal insults, but that's the truth.

Biglaw hiring is fast-paced. OCI is the most important time, but the week or two after OCI is almost equally important, as that is when most callbacks happen. You *have* to be in the country for the entire second half of August to be competitive, no way around it. I don't know enough about Hastings's OCI process to comment on when OCI interviews happen, but "85% on the first two days" sounds suspect, and some other Hastings people on this very thread have contradicted it.

If you don't want to do biglaw, and you know that, fine; the advice is this thread is totally inapplicable. But you're not going to get a biglaw job with your approach. Biglaw just doesn't happen for people outside of OCI, with only a tiny number of effectively random exceptions (and certainly never happens for people who are lackadaisical enough about the hiring process to go on vacation during interview season).
Last edited by BenJ on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 am

soj wrote:
stillwater wrote:everyone wants biglawl. the people that dont want biglawl cant have biglawl
Lol no, don't get carried away. I'm down with talking op out of their stupid decision but comments like this and taipeimort's are dumb.
it was hyperbole

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”