My life as a Summer Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
molazapuku

Bronze

My life as a Summer Associate

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Let me tell you about my day…

The morning was normal enough. I was doing a reasonably good impression of a legal professional. Approximately 1pm, the other intern stops by my office to tell me she is running some documents to a neighboring county's courthouse. That is a 45 minute drive, a large portion of which is on windy two-lane roads. I figure better her than me and go back to work.

Five minutes later she returns…turns out it was someone else’s day to drive in the carpool and she didn’t actually have a car. The documents must get to the courthouse that day. My first reaction is profanity, because this can only go two ways. Either I lend her my car and worry about her the whole time…or I make the drive myself.

For those that do not know…my car is held together with duct tape, bailing wire, and prayers to various deities and cartoon characters. There is a not-insignificant possibility it will fall apart during that drive. So I opt to make the drive myself. I feel bad, ‘cause it kind of sounds like I am being a pig.

No worries, karma has my back. I get a few miles up the highway (54-West) and suffer a blowout. I am able to get off the road safely. I have a good laugh, text the other intern about being bit by the karma monster. Swapping out a tire is no big deal. I pull out my lug wrench…a nifty little collapsible deal that kind makes me feel like a ninja when I put it together. Like nun chucks! I go at lug nuts…and the wrench snaps in half. Curse my penny pinching with tools!

Well, fiddlesticks. It is now starting to rain. I am on the side of a busy highway, tools and pieces of car spread around me. I notice a very large bird leave a nearby tree and start to circle me. I don’t know if we have buzzards in Missouri, but I don’t want to find out the hard way.

So I do what any grown ass, middle aged man would do in similar circumstances. I call my mommy. She assures me she will be on the road within five minutes. So I wait, in the drizzle…semis whizzing by me at 80 mph and buzzard like birds sizing me up.

For those that do not know…the only thing on this planet less reliable than my car is my mother’s sense of direction. She has decided that 70 Eastbound is close enough to 63 Southbound. She goes a little more than 20 miles before realizing her mistake. Tragically, she turns around a mere one mile from where the highway I am stranded on (54) coincidentally DOES intersect 70.

I know none of this. I am still standing in the drizzling rain, with broken tools and car pieces with vultures circling. The people of mid Missouri are trying to make me feel welcome. Several stop, including a sheriff deputy and a highway patrol Trooper. Naturally none of them have a lug wrench…but they each wish me well before leaving me in a cloud of dust. At least the dust makes it a bit harder for the vultures to get me. So its not all bad.

Finally the cavalry arrives. My mom pulls up with the lug wrench. I get two off. The other three simply will not budge. Even with my ample frame standing on the lug wrench. I am reduced to calling my mom’s AAA account to change a #($&ing tire. My man card is in serious jeopardy here.

Worse, I look at my watch and do the math real quick and realize if I don’t get on the road right then, I am not going to get the stupid documents to the court house before they close up shop. So now I am standing out in the drizzle, bits of tire, lug wrench, and lug nuts laying around. Trucks are whizzing by. I have been abandoned by all civilian authorities in the area. Vultures continue to circle. So I do what any red blooded American would do…I carjack my disabled mother and leave her in a cloud of dust on the side of the highway to await the tow truck. She thinks vultures and hawks are basically the same kind of bird, so I leave her to find out.

I get my GPS going and I am back on schedule. My new(ish) android phone came with some default GPS software called Telenav. It worked great in St. Louis and around Columbia, so I fire it up. 30 minutes later I am on the winding two lane road the great state of Missouri labeled “Highway 52” in a fit of sarcasm.

Suddenly, the GPS software screams “Destination is on the right.” I stop. There is nothing but a cow pasture on my right. There is even more cow pasture on my left.

While I can certainly understand how someone could confuse a cow pasture with the hallowed halls of the legal profession (there is a significant amount of bull plop in both)…I assume I have in incorrect address. I renter it. The GPS unit freaks the heck out. I can hear it screaming “Dude, your destination is on the right…this is the end of the mother-$^*%ing world. Wherever you are trying to go it must be here because one more step and it’s just you and that freaky turtle that holds the earth on its back”

Over the GPS’ protests I step out of the car to attempt to get a data signal to verify the address. I hear a hissing sound. I look down. There is a giant god-d#&n snapping turtle getting ready to eat my freaking foot. I jump back in the car. The GPS is screaming. “I TOLD you mother-$^*%er! I told you it was the end of the god-d#&n world! I TOLD you the $^*%ing turtle was going to get you!”

I manage to get Google’s app (Navigation) running. It says “don’t mind my cousin…he’s different but he means well. The courthouse is three miles ahead on the left.” In retrospect, I realize the GPS said none of those things. Well, except the “Destination is on the right” part. I am pretty sure the rest was the sound of my descent into madness.

Meanwhile, back at my car…my mom has managed to make AAA feel sorry for her and they have arrived promptly. I am glad I wasn’t there…my manhood has been challenged enough at this point in the day. A burly man that looks like he knows what he is doing pulls out a solid steel 4-way lug wrench to change my tire. Lug nuts won’t budge. He stomps on it. Lug nuts won’t budge. But this is a highly trained professional and he has some tricks up his sleeve. He pulls a large steel pipe out of his truck and slides it over the handle of the lug wrench. This brilliant engineer attempts to apply Archimedes’ principles to basic car repair. Given a long enough lever, you can move the world…but not my lug nuts. The solid steel lug wrench shatters. A small piece of my manhood is retained. Thank heaven for small victories.

While the epic battle between physics and my Volvo goes on…I have found the courthouse. The documents are turned in. They are lovely, friendly people. It takes 37 seconds. I have now been trying to accomplish this task for 3.5 hours. I head back toward civilization (as defined by the presence of cell phone reception).

Finally, the lug nuts have given way. Apparently, shattering two lug wrenches and the masculine identities of two adult males is enough to satisfy them. Without explanation…the simply come off free and easy. I collect my poor decrepit mother and we head off to go get a replacement tire for my car.

It is at this point I realize I got sunburned. While standing in the rain.

Eventually, I make it back home. I am slightly poorer, but I realize this exercise ultimately cost me a mere 1 hour of pay. I decide this story is easily worth that price and I write this to share with all of you. I still have an awesome job, and I got to have this nonsensical (but completely true!) adventure while being paid. For those wondering, I fully intend to bill for the turtle attack at the end of the world.
Last edited by molazapuku on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Re: My life as a Summer Associate

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 pm

copypasta?

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:36 pm

If I understand the question...I think you are asking if I copied this from somewhere else? It's on my facebook profile...but I wrote it. That was actually my day yesterday. For real.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:37 pm

AAA dude has clearly not acquainted himself with the wonders of liquid wrench.

Also, why the loss of pay? They should be paying you for time on their errand.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Honestly it never occurred to me to submit the extra hour spent standing on the side of the road. The time driving...the mileage...I submitted all that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm

You're not a very good storyteller. Cf. Ludo.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:51 pm

I never claimed to be much of a story teller. I thought it was an amusing story that others might enjoy as we all deal with our little problems. If you feel like your time was wasted, I am sure there is someone you can talk to about a refund.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Can you take it down so as to spare any unfortunate other who may waste their time?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Dude. I hope your firm doesn't read this, you sound incompetent and it makes the entire place seem amateurish . At the very least don't call the documents that you need to file in court "stupid." I dunno maybe this is what passes for a cute story in Missouri but it doesn't even begin to approach being professional.

And you sure as hell don't bill your client for the time your car is broken down. You definitely made the right call in that one.

Can your firm access your Facebook?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:03 pm

not sure why all the hate, thought the story was amusing.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:05 pm

MOARRRRR RIGORRRRR

uieLouAy

New

Post by uieLouAy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:15 pm

splitsplat wrote:not sure why all the hate, thought the story was amusing.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:18 pm

It was meant to amuse. I suppose I could have miscalculated my entry into the field, and that it's a fact that lawyers are not actually people but instead robots who are totally incapable of laughing at themselves or life's little oddities. I seriously doubt anyone is confusing a funny story about over-torqued lug nuts and a jacked up GPS with professionalism and work quality.

If that is the kind of people we have here...and I know it is not...I wouldn't stick around anyway.

seriously, nobody is billing for time waiting for a tow-truck due to a random blow out. Sometimes you just have bad luck. It's part of life. Some of us choose to find the humor in the situation. It was just funny to me and has proven to be so for others. Sorry if it offends some of your sensibilities. It may be that such things are "cute" only in Missouri. Since that is where I am, that suits me fine. It could also be that not all of us have a solid metal rod stuck up our nether-region.

Relax. Laugh a little. You'll live longer (of course that just means you'll be paying off student loans longer, so maybe there is something to your gloomy strategy).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:24 pm

[quote="splitsplat"]not sure why all the hate, thought the story was amusing.[/]

His car broke down, he panicked, his navigation was off and he almost didn't get documents filed for a client in a timely manner.

I wouldn't publicly post something that made me or my firm look incompetent. But maybe this is great material for a laugh where he works so its all good.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 pm

molazapuku wrote:It was meant to amuse. I suppose I could have miscalculated my entry into the field, and that it's a fact that lawyers are not actually people but instead robots who are totally incapable of laughing at themselves or life's little oddities. I seriously doubt anyone is confusing a funny story about over-torqued lug nuts and a jacked up GPS with professionalism and work quality.

If that is the kind of people we have here...and I know it is not...I wouldn't stick around anyway.

seriously, nobody is billing for time waiting for a tow-truck due to a random blow out. Sometimes you just have bad luck. It's part of life. Some of us choose to find the humor in the situation. It was just funny to me and has proven to be so for others. Sorry if it offends some of your sensibilities. It may be that such things are "cute" only in Missouri. Since that is where I am, that suits me fine. It could also be that not all of us have a solid metal rod stuck up our nether-region.

Relax. Laugh a little. You'll live longer (of course that just means you'll be paying off student loans longer, so maybe there is something to your gloomy strategy).
Sorry my opinion wasn't meant as a personal attack. If you were addressing me, don't worry I don't have any student loans. And, yes, I can see that I view the world differently than you do. No big deal.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 pm

I prefer to characterize it as "his car broke down, he didn't have the proper parts to repair it; but he improvised, overcame, and adapted in order to accomplish the mission". :lol:

I get your point, though I reject it. From your world view and experience I have no doubt your opinion makes sense and in the circles you travel it may indeed be correct. I am equally sure my view makes sense based on mine, and that is correct in the circles I move in. I am glad I operate in my world, not yours...but that doesn't make either wrong.

The student loan joke was merely a joke based on a running theme. Not meant to be personal....I don't know you or your financial situation my binoculars are good...but not "NY State" good).

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Professionalism aside, you are a pompous ass and your story fucking blew.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this story. Every SA has bad days. This story will make me forget mine.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Can you take it down so as to spare any unfortunate other who may waste their time?
it wasn't that bad
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Professionalism aside, you are a pompous ass and your story fucking blew.
It was kinda mediocre, IMO. Not enough to warrant being a dick. Chill out, dude.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Professionalism aside, you are a pompous ass and your story fucking blew.
It was kinda mediocre, IMO. Not enough to warrant being a dick. Chill out, dude.
Well, it was kind of a mediocre day! :wink:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 pm

I liked the story. Not sure what DZ is so mad about.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Worth the read, which is more than I can say for most poasts on TLS

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:Worth the read, which is more than I can say for most poasts on TLS
rad approves this message!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”