NYC Firms that Transfer Associates to Foreign Offices?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Firms that Transfer Associates to Foreign Offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Rising 2L assembling a bid list for NYC. I'm interested in corporate work (M&A, capital markets, etc.) and my academics are solid for most of the V100.

I want to pick firms that will give me the opportunity as a Junior/Mid-Level Associate to transfer (long-term/permanently) from NYC to a foreign office.

It's easy enough to find out which firms have foreign offices but does anyone know which firms are more or less likely to offer transfer opportunities?

JamMasterJ

Re: NYC Firms that Transfer Associates to Foreign Offices?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I think the magic circle firms are pretty good about this.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Magic circle firms as JMJ suggests (although idk if Freshfields does, but I'm almost certain Linklaters and Allen & Overy do, can't recall if Clifford Chance does). Also Shearman & Sterling does (or at least did last summer and I believe are doing so this summer), and I'm pretty sure some of their "white shoe" counterparts do as well, but not sure of which ones. Chambers - associate inside view is pretty solid for figuring this out, although it would be better if they had a centralized list of places doing this. Places with strong international practices (CM, IPF, etc.) are probably best to look for if you're interested in doing this.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Probably the best way to gauge this is to look at how many lawyers are in the office in the particular country you're interested in, and how many transferred from the US office.

From what I've seen, the process through which one is able to rotate international offices as a summer associate is much different than the process through which one is able to do a "permanent" transfer to a foreign office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

whether you can get a posting or not depends on what foreign languages you speak. The firms I know of that send people abroad usually want you to speak the language of that country . Cleary and DPW sent summer associates abroad and send junior associates abroad, but they want you to be fluent in Chinese/Spanish/French etc.

Both these firms also have London offices but I imagine those spots would be hard to get given there isn't the limiting factor of language skills reducing the pool of potential candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm

believe latham sends people to Europe/Middle East/Asia pretty regularly. language skills help depending on country but not a pre-requisite

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Davis Polk sends people to Hong Kong often if the Asia market is hot (gotta speak Mandarin though)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm

off the top of my head...

magic circle firms - A & O, Clifford Chance, LL, Freshfields

ny firms with integration across international offices - Skadden, Cleary, Latham, Shearman, Davis Polk, White & Case, Milbank

"International" McFirms (franchise model) - Baker McKenzie, DLA Piper, Jones Day, Fulbright Jaworski

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:off the top of my head...

magic circle firms - A & O, Clifford Chance, LL, Freshfields

ny firms with integration across international offices - Skadden, Cleary, Latham, Shearman, Davis Polk, White & Case, Milbank

"International" McFirms (franchise model) - Baker McKenzie, DLA Piper

Worked at one of the "International" McFirms as an SA in Hong Kong recently. I wouldn't count on getting transferred to a foreign office. Most of the regions have their own headquarters and operate with quite a bit of autonomy, since they grew by picking up offices in those countries anyways. I met only one associate who had transferred between countries, aside from secondments. Your best bet is probably one of the more prestigious firms that grew their own international offices (I want to say V-20 but I am sure there are exceptions in both directions) or in one of the magic circle firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”