Need a job for this summer, need your advice!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
winc87787

Need a job for this summer, need your advice!

Postby winc87787 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi guys, really need some advice right now.
I am a 2L and I am still looking for a job for this summer. Blame bad timing, I had to leave the country for the first third of the summer to take care of some family issues; therefore I couldnt commit to any during the semester. Now that I am back, I am having the hardest time looking for anything remotely related work to do. What should I do at this point? It is the middle of June, is it going to be a lost summer for me? Glad to hear any suggestion.

Obviously summer associate positions are long gone, but are they any resources I can use to find any working opportunity preferably midsize or small firms. I am currently in NY.

If there is really no chance for anything, any suggestion for what to do for the rest of summer to make it somewhat productive.

I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks

Morgan12Oak

Re: Need a job for this summer, need your advice!

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:40 am

Contact a professor and beg to do research for him for minimum wage/free who works in a field you'd be interested in working in.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:16 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:Contact a professor and beg to do research for him for minimum wage/free who works in a field you'd be interested in working in.

Yep

In mid June it has come to this

Don't stop looking for other stuff though that you could maybe do concurrently

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 am

Also, look into short term pro bono opportunities that you can use to supplement your (potential) research assistantship and gain some experience.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:32 am

If you are interested in criminal law, you can also volunteer at a local jail or prison

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:04 am

If you don't live in a competitive district you might be able to call up some judges in the area to see if you can work for them. I think judges can pretty much always taken on interns; in competitive districts those jobs are always gone, in flyover districts most people don't even bother applying for them (especially if the position is never actually advertised even though technically available).

winc87787

Postby winc87787 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:16 pm

thanks guys, i appreciate all the help

target

Postby target » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:20 pm

also, if you live near your school or any law school, contact their clinical program for volunteer opportunities.

Return to “Legal Employment”