Mofo phone call

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mofo phone call

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm

I emailed an alum at mofo who graduated from my school (non-t14). He emailed me back to set up a phone call to talk about the summer program (I just finished 1L). Any thoughts/anyone had a call like this for mofo before?

Lincoln

Re: Mofo phone call

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Stop fretting. It's an informational call he's extending out of courtesy. Just be friendly, polite, and curious. Come prepared with questions about the firm and be ready to talk about yourself.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 pm

These are very common. Just have some decent questions, and be normal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 pm

What are examples of good questions?

I'm not fretting at all. I have law review and top if my class, so when I got this message I was like holy shit I'm going to be at mofo 2L summer.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are examples of good questions?

I'm not fretting at all. I have law review and top if my class, so when I got this message I was like holy shit I'm going to be at mofo 2L summer.

The way big firms hire is through OCI. This isn't an interview. It is a standard courtesy among lawyers to do these phone calls with students at their alma mater for informational purposes. Also, don't get overconfident. Applicants with strong credentials strike out.

Find out what practice group he's in. Then, ask him some questions about that practice area. Why did he chose it? What does he like about it? What are his day-to-day responsibilities? Does he have any advice based on his job search? Then, if you get an interview with MoFo later this summer, you can say you talked to John Smith and he told you X about the firm, which you though was great.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:18 am

Yeah that's not what this is. At non-T14, top of the class is necessary (not sufficient). It's a basic informational interview and gives you a foot in the door. Good luck with it

biglawww

Postby biglawww » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 am

This is funny. If anything, you may have a better chance to get a real screening interview or callback through this network. But this is not an actual interview and it does not mean that you're going to be mofo SA next year.

Good luck.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:00 am

Didn't do this with MoFo, but did do it with a similar firm and ended up with a callback outside of the OCI process. It can work out that way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm

run26.2 wrote:Didn't do this with MoFo, but did do it with a similar firm and ended up with a callback outside of the OCI process. It can work out that way.

Thanks. Obviously this would be the best result. Since most of the comments above boil down to either 1. This is nothing or 2. You're not t14 so you can still easily strike out, it's good to hear another perspective.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
run26.2 wrote:Didn't do this with MoFo, but did do it with a similar firm and ended up with a callback outside of the OCI process. It can work out that way.

Thanks. Obviously this would be the best result. Since most of the comments above boil down to either 1. This is nothing or 2. You're not t14 so you can still easily strike out, it's good to hear another perspective.

I am also a non-T14, and have done about a dozen of these this summer. (one with MoFo)

My recommendation is to treat it as a half info interview, half screener. Go in with plenty of questions and be legitimately interested in learning more about the culture of the firm. It's also important to be yourself, and as personable as possible! If anything, I would recommend you undersell this as a job hunt and focus instead on learning all you can about what it is they do and how they do it. I promise they know you want job. I actually had a MoFo partner ask "So... would you consider working with MoFo?"

I would also recommend you branch out and do as many of these as humanly possible this summer. If you're in their region, ask to come in and meet in person / have a coffee. Some of these will be an informational interview and nothing more, others can bypass OCI altogether.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Feel free to PM if you want to chat about your background and the process I experienced. I may have some limited insight, depending on the particulars of your situation. In any case, good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone. I am in biglaw 1L job now but I've got fingers crossed I can trade up to mofo.

Return to “Legal Employment”