Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm

If the firm I am entering into this fall knows that I am taking two bar exams (think NY/MA or NY/NJ), will it look badly upon me? That is, will I look like a flight risk?

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:If the firm I am entering into this fall knows that I am taking two bar exams (think NY/MA or NY/NJ), will it look badly upon me? That is, will I look like a flight risk?



No. Obviously not. Many people take two bar exams.

FWIW - take NY and NJ. You can always waive into MA later (after 5 years all you have to do is send them a big check and your admitted in MA, whereas in NJ you always have to take the test).

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:08 am

No. Also, if anyone asks, explain how you're a law student and you hate risk, so you want to hedge your bets. Also, remind them of how NJ lets you swear in as soon as you clear C&F (with a local judge), while NY makes you wait for the interview. Finally, remind them that you're already studying a stupid amount to pass the MBE, so why not use this sitting for everything it's worth.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:20 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:No. Also, if anyone asks, explain how you're a law student and you hate risk, so you want to hedge your bets. Also, remind them of how NJ lets you swear in as soon as you clear C&F (with a local judge), while NY makes you wait for the interview. Finally, remind them that you're already studying a stupid amount to pass the MBE, so why not use this sitting for everything it's worth.


Correct. But frankly, I don't know a single firm that is like ... No, we only want our attorneys licensed in one state...

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:29 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:No. Also, if anyone asks, explain how you're a law student and you hate risk, so you want to hedge your bets. Also, remind them of how NJ lets you swear in as soon as you clear C&F (with a local judge), while NY makes you wait for the interview. Finally, remind them that you're already studying a stupid amount to pass the MBE, so why not use this sitting for everything it's worth.


Correct. But frankly, I don't know a single firm that is like ... No, we only want our attorneys licensed in one state...


I could see a Boston or Newark firm thinking that a NY taker really wants NY and will try to lateral as soon as they are admitted.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:No. Also, if anyone asks, explain how you're a law student and you hate risk, so you want to hedge your bets. Also, remind them of how NJ lets you swear in as soon as you clear C&F (with a local judge), while NY makes you wait for the interview. Finally, remind them that you're already studying a stupid amount to pass the MBE, so why not use this sitting for everything it's worth.


Correct. But frankly, I don't know a single firm that is like ... No, we only want our attorneys licensed in one state...


I could see a Boston or Newark firm thinking that a NY taker really wants NY and will try to lateral as soon as they are admitted.


Not at all, at least for a Newark firm. I interviewed at a bunch of Newark offices/firms, and the attorneys there often appear in court in NY. When you are so close to NY, it makes complete sense to be admitted to both. I'm working for an NY firm, but also taking NJ. I can't imagine having to explain that to anyone. Nor would I be anything but honest in saying that I have no clue where my career will take me in the future, and want to get this out of the way so that I never have to worry about it again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:59 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:No. Also, if anyone asks, explain how you're a law student and you hate risk, so you want to hedge your bets. Also, remind them of how NJ lets you swear in as soon as you clear C&F (with a local judge), while NY makes you wait for the interview. Finally, remind them that you're already studying a stupid amount to pass the MBE, so why not use this sitting for everything it's worth.


Correct. But frankly, I don't know a single firm that is like ... No, we only want our attorneys licensed in one state...


I could see a Boston or Newark firm thinking that a NY taker really wants NY and will try to lateral as soon as they are admitted.

I called someone in recruitment at my Boston firm and asked if they cared if I decided to take NY as well as Massachusetts. They were very chill about it and said it's pretty common. Might help that the firm also has a NY office, though.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Firm knowing that you're taking bar exam of two states

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 pm

Call comes in from random client... "I have a problem in NY... legal bills are going to be high... Can you - my Massachusetts based attorneys that I know and trust recommend a good NY lawyer?" <-- This alone is a good reason to have dual admission.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.