Top 1/3 UT, best shot at DC/NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 1/3 UT, best shot at DC/NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 pm

3.52 at Texas, one year work experience... what are some of my best shots for NYC and DC? Planning on going to UT's job fairs at both places and mass mailing since most of UT OCI is Texas firms. Would appreciate the help!

Anonymous User

Re: Top 1/3 UT, best shot at DC/NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:35 pm

How do you know 3.52 is top third?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Top 25% at UT is usually around a 3.6, so 3.52 could be around top third. But UT only publishes 25th and 50th percentiles.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 pm

you don't have a prayer for big law in DC. hth

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.52 at Texas, one year work experience... what are some of my best shots for NYC and DC? Planning on going to UT's job fairs at both places and mass mailing since most of UT OCI is Texas firms. Would appreciate the help!

Do you have a strong reason for wanting to practice in NYC or DC? Your odds of landing biglaw there with those numbers seem pretty low, but on the other hand you should have a great shot at the Texas/Southwest market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Not a native Texan so figured I had a better shot at NYC. Hometown is DC.

-Original OP

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a native Texan so figured I had a better shot at NYC. Hometown is DC.

-Original OP

Do the NYC job fair so you can use OCI for Texas firms. That way, you can hit all the TX and NYC firms and maximize your chances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 pm

TLSwag wrote:you don't have a prayer for big law in DC. hth

Lol not true. Know of several peeps in my graduating class (last couple years) with very similar grades who are in DC. hth

OP: you've got a good shot. NY is less selective, though. You should find some success in getting CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Thought I should contribute since I learned so much from TLS last year during interview season.

I had similar stats to you and go to UT. I interviewed in the NY Job Fair that UT runs which is a MUST MUST MUST go. If you want the NY market, firms with relationships to UT are going to be there and they want to see commitment - if it means blowing money on a plane ticket, do it. I received 14 callbacks and 8 offers in New York. By the time OCI came around, I was coasting. I'm a pretty decent interviewer but I think most people can turn it "on" for 15 minute stretches. You'll be fine - don't sweat too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thought I should contribute since I learned so much from TLS last year during interview season.

I had similar stats to you and go to UT. I interviewed in the NY Job Fair that UT runs which is a MUST MUST MUST go. If you want the NY market, firms with relationships to UT are going to be there and they want to see commitment - if it means blowing money on a plane ticket, do it. I received 14 callbacks and 8 offers in New York. By the time OCI came around, I was coasting. I'm a pretty decent interviewer but I think most people can turn it "on" for 15 minute stretches. You'll be fine - don't sweat too much.

Thanks for the encouragement! Am definitely heading to the NYC job fair-- bought my tickets today.

-OP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

You're welcome.

UT's relationships are very strong in new york. Look especially for firms that have Texas ties, such as Akin Gump because they will typically try to keep their Texas roots by hiring from UT for their new york office - their office, by the way, is like heaven. Charm them and convince them you want to be in NYC - firms in new york are used to being turned down by UT students who interviewed but then rejected them for Texas firms. The opportunity is yours to lose once your foot is through the door.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Anon that got a lot of CB/offers in NYC, could you shoot me a PM? I'm also at UT, just below top-25% with kind of a weird situation (don't want to explain here because it will be very obvious who I am) and wanted to get your thoughts on TX v. NYC for bidding and other purposes.

Return to “Legal Employment”