Am I bidding too ambitiously?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I bidding too ambitiously?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Is this bid list actually attainable or am I being crazy ambitious/foolish or have I launched into crazy gunner mode and should take a chill pill? I've got a 3.66 from Penn, 3 years good WE and extensive DC and NY ties (not that they really matter :D ).

1-10
Freshfields – NY
Debevoise - NY
Sullivan – NY
Skadden – NY
Simpson – NY
Sidley Austin – DC
Cleary – NY
Davis Polk – NY
Latham – DC
Wachtell – NY

11-20
Weil – NY
Wilson Sosini – All
Schulte – NY
Boies Schiller – All
Cravath – NY
Linklaters – NY
Fried Frank – DC
Gibson Dunn – DC
Wilmer Hale - DC
Gunderson – All

21-30
Paul Weiss – NY
Vinson & Elkins – All
Hogan Lovells – All
Jones Day – All
Arnold & Porter – DC
Covington – DC
Shearman & Sterling – NY
Paul Hastings – NY
Kaye Scholer – NY
White & Case – NY

31-40
Akin Gump – DC
MoFo – All
Kirkland – DC
Gibson Dunn – NY
Morgan Lewis – Philly
Williams & Connolly – DC
Dechert – Philly
JAG Corps – Arlington
Crowell & Morning – NY
Perkins Cole – All

Anonymous User

Re: Am I bidding too ambitiously?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:26 pm

3.68 at Penn here. My bid list looks more or less the same. I think it is fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:28 pm

IDK about Penn, but at CLS/NYU, bidding Cleary/Simpson/DPW that high is quite wasteful given their interview slots. I'd also switch Freshfields to K&E unless you have some super reason for having them their (which you likely do given the number 1 overall bid).

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Does Wachtell require a top 10 bid at Penn? Seems unlikely.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Does Wachtell require a top 10 bid at Penn? Seems unlikely.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 pm

There's no such thing as a bid list that's "too ambitious" with those grades from that school.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:There's no such thing as a bid list that's "too ambitious" with those grades from that school.

wut?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 pm

I believe your grades are generally regarded as around top 10% at Penn. So there really is no firm coming to OCI that you are not qualified for from a grades perspective. That means you should probably bid with the goal of maximizing your desired interviews. There is no need to rank firms in the top 10 that very few people bid on from Penn or that have 120 interview slots, as others have mentioned. I don't know what exactly you are shooting for geographically, but you might want to move some of those DC firms up if you want to get the interviews, and you can move a lot of the NY firms down and still have a great shot at getting the interviews. Boies and Wachtell are not heavily bid, for example, and you can probably safely move them down to the 20-30 range.

Also, go on Student Commons, and read the "Penn Law 2012 OCI data" file. It tells you what percent of bids are successful. If > 70% of bids were successful (as is the case with several of the firms in your top 10), that means they don't need to be in your top 10.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:34 pm

mr.hands wrote:
thesealocust wrote:There's no such thing as a bid list that's "too ambitious" with those grades from that school.

wut?

If you have a 3.66 from Penn, you cannot construct a bid list which is too ambitious. There aren't enough firms with stringent enough GPA standards from Penn students for you to assemble a list that is aiming too high.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 am

You have kind of a strange mix of corporate and litigation oriented firms. What are you shooting for?

I don't know what 3.66 puts you at rankings-wise at Penn, but BSF and Covington DC might be long shots (they would be totally out with grades in that range from my T14). The ordering of DC firms is also a little weird.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 am

thesealocust wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

wut?

If you have a 3.66 from Penn, you cannot construct a bid list which is too ambitious. There aren't enough firms with stringent enough GPA standards from Penn students for you to assemble a list that is aiming too high.

I always like your style brah -- keep posting.

Return to “Legal Employment”