2013 CCBA Minority Job Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 CCBA Minority Job Fair

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Referring to someone derogatorily as snowflake, when enrolled in a a job fair for diversity, is hypocritical to the point of such programs. It is ironic that you now feel entitled to special treatment in the employment sector simply because you're diverse.

Personally, I am for affirmative action, but not for individuals like you. :roll:
As you should know, the term “snowflake” was not intended to be racial in nature, but rather, as an identifier for the non-URM lowlife who seeks here to take unfair advantage of an opportunity that was presumably created to correct a social injustice. As a minority, I do feel that we are entitled to not “special treatment”, but instead, special access to equalize the exposure to firms that have long been available to people like Snowflake.
By the way, I actually am not a strong supporter of affirmative action, and once at the firm, I intend to compete with my non-URM co-workers based solely on my performance.
Oh, ok, that makes perfect sense now that you put in the context of "special access" opposed to "treatment".

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 pm

1. Everyone chill out.

2. Discussion of AA will get you warned/tempbanned.

3. Attacking other people using anon will get you outed and/or tempbanned.

4. Plenty of non-URMs go to diversity fairs. Heck, diversity fairs might even be majority non-URM (well, not CCBA but BADCF definitely has lots of ORMs). The point is, diversity fairs are not just for URMs. They are for diversity generally. That includes minorities of all stripes as well as LGBT. I've been told it includes women too. I've also heard people go who are religiously or economically diverse (far less so than minorities/LGBT/females), though I have no opinion on whether that's "okay" or not. It's not like these fairs can actually prevent people from signing up because they are not "diverse."

5. The point of diversity fairs is not to correct past injustices. The point of them is so that firms can look like they value diversity (whether they actually do or not) and/or so they can more easily hire diverse candidates (whether they actually do or not). Firms want to both look diverse and look like they value diversity. That is why they do this. Period.

Now please return to on topic posting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Does anyone know whether there was a resume drop on the CCBA Simplicity system? Just tried to log onto my account. Said that system was closed while employers were making their decisions........

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether there was a resume drop on the CCBA Simplicity system? Just tried to log onto my account. Said that system was closed while employers were making their decisions........
You could only access it when bidding is open. When the employers make selections it will open up again (don't know why they do it this way but they do.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:28 pm

I understand that CCBA is half-preselct and half-lottery. When we get our schedules, are the interview slotsidentified as either preselect or lottery? Just want to know in case I get an interview with a V20 firm (unlikely with my GPA), and I'd like to know whether the firm actually thinks my stats are good enough, or just that it was by luck of the draw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

Just found out I was fortunate enough to write-on to LR. Is it worth it to let employers I bid on at CCBA know this and if so, how would I go about doing that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Just looked at the CCBA flyer, which says, "Students should receive their initial schedule on or before Monday, July 16, 2013." Problem is that Monday is July 15th. So, is it going to be Monday or tuesday?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just looked at the CCBA flyer, which says, "Students should receive their initial schedule on or before Monday, July 16, 2013." Problem is that Monday is July 15th. So, is it going to be Monday or tuesday?
Based on last year's experience you'll get it whenever they get around to it. They're not the most organized group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just looked at the CCBA flyer, which says, "Students should receive their initial schedule on or before Monday, July 16, 2013." Problem is that Monday is July 15th. So, is it going to be Monday or tuesday?
Based on last year's experience you'll get it whenever they get around to it. They're not the most organized group.
Yeah, I read last year's thread. On the 16th, people starting moaning about how they didn't get ANY interviews. When they called CCBA, the administrators kept on insisting that that was no uncommon because of the huge numbers of applicants, kept insisting even though it became clear that NOBODY had a single interview. Finally, after dealing with an avalanche of simply queries, they admitted that there was a glitch in the system, that would be fixed soon.
So, even on or after the release date, don't be surprised if you don't get a single interview. And if you do, don't accept it unless others have donfirm that they have interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:51 am

Does anyone know if there is a waitlist crowd that forms at the morning of August 16th, when they hand out slots which have not been claimed or the people didn't check in for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if there is a waitlist crowd that forms at the morning of August 16th, when they hand out slots which have not been claimed or the people didn't check in for?
I had to cancel last year but my friend told me those slots just stay unfilled, at least formally. That may have changed this year though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am

Unfilled? They didn't even bother to do a roll call in the morning to ensure that the slots aren't wasted? No wonder the negative assessment about this fair? By the way, there is a roll call on that morning, isn't there? or are people just supposed to show up at the assigned time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 am

When do selections actually come out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:When do selections actually come out?
See above:
"Students should receive their initial schedule on or before Monday, July 16, 2013." Today is Monday, but it's the 15th, so I don't know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am

Does anyone know if there are going to be hospitality suites at this fair, either the evening before or after, or are we supposed to shut up and be thankful that we're getting some slots?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm

You may have already gotten this as well, but I received the email today stating that the employers are not finished with the selections, and that they anticipate we should know by the 19th now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You may have already gotten this as well, but I received the email today stating that the employers are not finished with the selections, and that they anticipate we should know by the 19th now.
Why do I get the feeling that we're getting second-class treatment here?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that we're getting second-class treatment here?
This sort of thing happened last year. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 am

Did anyone else who bid on Foley & Lardner get an email from them thanking you for applying, and requesting that you fill out their online application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else who bid on Foley & Lardner get an email from them thanking you for applying, and requesting that you fill out their online application?
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:34 pm

I’ve got a problem to think through here. There’s this firm that I’ve already secured an interview slot through the Loyola Patent Law program, and I’ll probably get them again here at CCBA because I bid them #1. Also, it’s a good bet that I’ll get them through my school’s OCI lottery because I’m well within their GPA cutoff range.
Assuming no firm wants to do multiple interviews with the same candidate, which one should I take (which one has best prospects)? Seems like CCBA is the weakest because the only qualification is to be a minority, while PLIP requires additional tech knowledge, and OCI requires grades & WE.
Any thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve got a problem to think through here. There’s this firm that I’ve already secured an interview slot through the Loyola Patent Law program, and I’ll probably get them again here at CCBA because I bid them #1. Also, it’s a good bet that I’ll get them through my school’s OCI lottery because I’m well within their GPA cutoff range.
Assuming no firm wants to do multiple interviews with the same candidate, which one should I take (which one has best prospects)? Seems like CCBA is the weakest because the only qualification is to be a minority, while PLIP requires additional tech knowledge, and OCI requires grades & WE.
Any thoughts?
I think your calculus is a bit off; they are going to be looking for similar traits across all the job fairs/OCIs they attend. If I had a choice I'd pick PLIP because it's one more interview you can do during OCI.

However, you may not have this choice. The firm will probably tell you where they want to see you.

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:58 pm

are you targeting a specific office? practice group? If so check to see who from that specific office/practice group will interview you at which fair.

Or, you can contact the recruiting coordinator and ask where they would like to interview you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:51 pm

target wrote:are you targeting a specific office? practice group? If so check to see who from that specific office/practice group will interview you at which fair.

Or, you can contact the recruiting coordinator and ask where they would like to interview you.
Basically, like most of us, I'm targeting a firm's office in my home market, and I just want a job (doesn't have to be PLIP, just any job). I just want to know my best prospects. If it turns out to be PLIP, so be it, and I'll do IP. If being a minority gets me the job, I'm okay also.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

All quiet on the front. nothing to do but wait. Very unusual, this delay. Didn't read about this happening in any other threads, diversity or otherwise. probably due to the really low prospects for 3l's is pretty dismal, so they don't participate here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”