Chances at Boston Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jacksonmead

Chances at Boston Firms

Postby jacksonmead » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 am

Hi all,

I made a similar thread in the transfer forum but haven't had a lot of traffic so thought I'd ask again here based on the somewhat urgent nature of the decision...

I am approximately top 10% at MVP (just missed law review) and really want to be in Boston. The question is whether I should try and transfer to Harvard. What are my respective chances at the usual players in Boston from my current school (which I like a lot) and Harvard (where I have some personal reasons to be)?

I have no current scholarship.

Anonymous User

Re: Chances at Boston Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 am

I think you have a really good chance of making it to a Boston firm from your current school. For example, I am at Ropes this summer, and there are TONS of people from MVP. You just need to approach OCI smartly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:05 pm

You have a great shot with your grades/school, if you have ties to Boston. I'm an SA at Ropes in Boston too, and was in a pretty similar spot as you are (though I did have LR). With all my Boston interviews, they were clearly interested in my reasons for coming to Boston and in many, I could see that they had literally checked off the things on my resume that showed a Boston/Massachusetts connection.

If you have no ties to Boston, then I'd seriously consider transferring to Harvard. If you do, then I think it really comes down to personal preference. Being top 10% at MVP is a great place to be. You have a shot at clerkships, if you have any interest, and I can't see transferring really giving you that much of a boost in Boston if you already have ties. Consider your financial situation too. If you have a decent scholarship at your current school - I wouldn't consider transferring, if not, then its probably more appealing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think you have a really good chance of making it to a Boston firm from your current school. For example, I am at Ropes this summer, and there are TONS of people from MVP. You just need to approach OCI smartly.

I'm at another Boston firm but I have seen the Ropes (Boston) list and remember there being shockingly little MVP representation (like 2 or 3).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:18 pm

The one issue may be getting OCI interview slots. I'm sure Ropes recruits at MVP, and if you want to be in Boston they'll very likely be your top choice. But many of the other firms in Boston may not recruit at MVP, and Ropes may not have that many interview slots there. (They may only send one interviewer.) And it's much, much easier to get callbacks/offers from firms via OCI than via mailing.

Since you have no scholarship, I see no downside (other than any personal reasons) for transferring to Harvard. It also gives you a stronger argument for wanting to be in Boston if you have weak/no ties. Failing to transfer won't lock you out of Boston, but it can't hurt to submit that transfer application.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks for the advice so far.

I should have been clear that I have ties and that they are pretty apparent from my resume. I have work experience in Boston and will probably will use my permanent address in MA.

With that being the case, is there any advantage from doing at OCI at Harvard where I imagine there's a lot more competition?

Again, no scholarship right now and I don't think I qualify for merit at Harvard.

Return to “Legal Employment”