URM Bidding Top 40%

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 am

Pokemon wrote:I think OP was given too much of a hard time in this thread. If OP says providing more info would out them, leave it at that. Providing geographic preference, gender, race + school is pretty close to being outed.
In any case, I think you have a decent shot at all firms except particularly grade sensitive ones like SullCrom or Cravath. Firms like Weil, Simpson, Davis, Kirkland + V15-35 would be my bids if I was you. Would only avoid firms with higher and clear cut GPA floors. This is of course assuming that you are at least an average interviewer.



Thanks really appreciate it. This was kinda my thought process because my grades do put me at the average for the Sidley Austin's and other firms. So I was thinking that it might not be bad to throw in the less grade intensive V10's such as Davis Polk. I think that your advice is really solid and probably the advice that I am going to go with more or less. Do you know how popular Davis Polk Simpson Weil and Kirkland are in the lottery system and how high I would have to bid to get an interview?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:I think OP was given too much of a hard time in this thread. If OP says providing more info would out them, leave it at that. Providing geographic preference, gender, race + school is pretty close to being outed.
In any case, I think you have a decent shot at all firms except particularly grade sensitive ones like SullCrom or Cravath. Firms like Weil, Simpson, Davis, Kirkland + V15-35 would be my bids if I was you. Would only avoid firms with higher and clear cut GPA floors. This is of course assuming that you are at least an average interviewer.



Thanks really appreciate it. This was kinda my thought process because my grades do put me at the average for the Sidley Austin's and other firms. So I was thinking that it might not be bad to throw in the less grade intensive V10's such as Davis Polk. I think that your advice is really solid and probably the advice that I am going to go with more or less. Do you know how popular Davis Polk Simpson Weil and Kirkland are in the lottery system and how high I would have to bid to get an interview?

This is highly school dependent.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:I think OP was given too much of a hard time in this thread. If OP says providing more info would out them, leave it at that. Providing geographic preference, gender, race + school is pretty close to being outed.
In any case, I think you have a decent shot at all firms except particularly grade sensitive ones like SullCrom or Cravath. Firms like Weil, Simpson, Davis, Kirkland + V15-35 would be my bids if I was you. Would only avoid firms with higher and clear cut GPA floors. This is of course assuming that you are at least an average interviewer.



Thanks really appreciate it. This was kinda my thought process because my grades do put me at the average for the Sidley Austin's and other firms. So I was thinking that it might not be bad to throw in the less grade intensive V10's such as Davis Polk. I think that your advice is really solid and probably the advice that I am going to go with more or less. Do you know how popular Davis Polk Simpson Weil and Kirkland are in the lottery system and how high I would have to bid to get an interview?

This is highly school dependent.


Cravath gave someone below median at Cornell a callback last year. Don't know whether they were a URM or not but one would have to think so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:41 pm

FWIW I was actually outed lol. Just thought I'd update for everyone who thought I was being paranoid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I was actually outed lol. Just thought I'd update for everyone who thought I was being paranoid.

Do people at your school generally know what grades you have?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I was actually outed lol. Just thought I'd update for everyone who thought I was being paranoid.

Do people at your school generally know what grades you have?

To be fair, I don't go to OP's school, never had a convo with OP, and I would still bet a fair amount of money I knew who OP was based on the info given in this thread. There just aren't many known AA posters, so any further info def narrows it down dramatically. Gotta be safe about what you put out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I was actually outed lol. Just thought I'd update for everyone who thought I was being paranoid.

Do people at your school generally know what grades you have?

To be fair, I don't go to OP's school, never had a convo with OP, and I would still bet a fair amount of money I knew who OP was based on the info given in this thread. There just aren't many known AA posters, so any further info def narrows it down dramatically. Gotta be safe about what you put out there.


Yup don't really care that much tho. I'd rather my classmates didn't know my grades, but its whatever. I didn't understand why I was getting so much flack on the first page for not wanting to reveal a lot of information. On the positive side I did get some good advice, and am pretty sure that I know how I want to bid.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.