URM Bidding Top 40%

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Lower T14. Don't want to give too much away. AA URM don't want to say what gender. Around top 35 to 40%. Probably going to be bidding NYC at OCI. JW if I should bid more aggressively, or if I should bid more for firms where I am at the average at. I know that firms will dip lower for URM candidates, but don't want to bid to aggressively where I do not get anything.

Good interviewers. K-JD.

mr.hands

Re: URM Bidding Top 40%

Postby mr.hands » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lower T14. Don't want to give too much away. AA URM don't want to say what gender. Around top 35 to 40%. Probably going to be bidding NYC at OCI. JW if I should bid more aggressively, or if I should bid more for firms where I am at the average at. I know that firms will dip lower for URM candidates, but don't want to bid to aggressively where I do not get anything.

Good interviewers. K-JD.

While it doesn't matter as much what gender you are, it does matter what school you go to. Top 40% at GULC is different from top 40% at Penn or NU. Where do you go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:17 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lower T14. Don't want to give too much away. AA URM don't want to say what gender. Around top 35 to 40%. Probably going to be bidding NYC at OCI. JW if I should bid more aggressively, or if I should bid more for firms where I am at the average at. I know that firms will dip lower for URM candidates, but don't want to bid to aggressively where I do not get anything.

Good interviewers. K-JD.

While it doesn't matter as much what gender you are, it does matter what school you go to. Top 40% at GULC is different from top 40% at Penn or NU. Where do you go?

really don't want to say. Its too easy to out myself if I do. not GULC if that helps at all.

Basically the question is how aggressive I should be when bidding. I've read some threads where AA's above median who can interview well outperform there numbers. Get firms you know that would have required top 25% grades. I've read some threads where ppl say that there is no noticeable difference, bid accordingly. I've read some threads that say that you should bid more aggressively if you are a good interviewer because less people will bid the higher firms and they are easier to get interviews with. JW what ppls anecdotal experience is with AA's definitely above median and OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

Good interviewers. K-JD.

really don't want to say. Its too easy to out myself if I do. not GULC if that helps at all.

Basically the question is how aggressive I should be when bidding. I've read some threads where AA's above median who can interview well outperform there numbers. Get firms you know that would have required top 25% grades. I've read some threads where ppl say that there is no noticeable difference, bid accordingly. I've read some threads that say that you should bid more aggressively if you are a good interviewer because less people will bid the higher firms and they are easier to get interviews with. JW what ppls anecdotal experience is with AA's definitely above median and OCI.

bump

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:55 pm

u realize you are not the only top %40 URM at your school? not sure how you can expect good advice without being more specific

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 pm

jd20132013 wrote:u realize you are not the only top %40 URM at your school? not sure how you can expect good advice without being more specific

Yes I do. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I gave a school band. I gave my rank. Said what type of URM I am. I don't want to say more because there are so few of us in the low T14 that I do not want to be outed. I am asking for pretty general advice. Whether from what ppl have seen is it wise to bid more selective firms and hope that they dip into my GPA to ensure more interviews. Or bid firms that are less selective exclusively and probably not get as many screeners. I wouldn't be below many firms hard GPA cut offs except for the Tippy top firms. I do not really care about prestige or whatever just want a job.

Also, I've read that bidding the less selective firms exclusively can be dangerous because more ppl will be vying for those firms, and interviewing skills are more fungible when competing against more ppl in your class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:u realize you are not the only top %40 URM at your school? not sure how you can expect good advice without being more specific

Yes I do. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I gave a school band. I gave my rank. Said what type of URM I am. I don't want to say more because there are so few of us in the low T14 that I do not want to be outed. I am asking for pretty general advice. Whether from what ppl have seen is it wise to bid more selective firms and hope that they dip into my GPA to ensure more interviews. Or bid firms that are less selective exclusively and probably not get as many screeners. I wouldn't be below many firms hard GPA cut offs except for the Tippy top firms. I do not really care about prestige or whatever just want a job.

Also, I've read that bidding the less selective firms exclusively can be dangerous because more ppl will be vying for those firms, and interviewing skills are more fungible when competing against more ppl in your class.

bump again... I know URM data is pretty scarce, but someone has to have some anecdotal experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump again... I know URM data is pretty scarce, but someone has to have some anecdotal experience.

No you're asking for fairly specific advice. Or advice that is so mundane as not to be helpful. If you want to give a school (or two) and a bid list you might get more luck, but there isn't much to say here based off what you're offering other than big class sizes with high offer rates. No one is going to be able to out you off of your school, grades, and AA.

Again, I could care less whether you tell us or not, and I'm not trying to be an ass but you've bumped this a few times so I'm trying to offer why I don't think you are getting good help. Unless all you are looking for is stories from other URMs about how their bidding went, which isn't really useful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No you're asking for fairly specific advice. Or advice that is so mundane as not to be helpful. If you want to give a school (or two) and a bid list you might get more luck, but there isn't much to say here based off what you're offering other than big class sizes with high offer rates. No one is going to be able to out you off of your school, grades, and AA.

Again, I could care less whether you tell us or not, and I'm not trying to be an ass but you've bumped this a few times so I'm trying to offer why I don't think you are getting good help. Unless all you are looking for is stories from other URMs about how their bidding went, which isn't really useful.

Fair enough two people have said the same thing. I'll let this thread go.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Lol. Dude, you are VASTLY underestimating the number of AA at T14 schools. It's not like there are three of you.

Also, relax. This isn't a national security threat. You're posting anonymously

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:28 pm

mr.hands wrote:Lol. Dude, you are VASTLY underestimating the number of AA at T14 schools. It's not like there are three of you.

Also, relax. This isn't a national security threat. You're posting anonymously

True I guess if you don't know the gender its fine. But once you start narrowing it done to female or male there's a LOT fewer males so its not that hard to figure out. Its cool thanks to both of you for responding I'm just really paranoid about being outted.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't see why OP is being given such a hard time. The lower T14s are relatively fungible for New York. Although in fairness OP you are being too paranoid about getting outed.

Anyway, I would not rely too much on your URM status. Bid primarily as you would if you were a white guy, and throw in some solid reach firms. The most important thing is to get a job.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Bronte wrote:I don't see why OP is being given such a hard time. The lower T14s are relatively fungible for New York. Although in fairness OP you are being too paranoid about getting outed.

Anyway, I would not rely too much on your URM status. Bid primarily as you would if you were a white guy, and throw in some solid reach firms. The most important thing is to get a job.

Penn and Michigan or Penn and Cal? I disagree.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Bronte wrote:I don't see why OP is being given such a hard time. The lower T14s are relatively fungible for New York. Although in fairness OP you are being too paranoid about getting outed.

Not sure exactly what you're getting at, but if you mean you're worried Berkeley wouldn't do as we'll on the east coast, let OP worry about it. He's given enough info to answer the question whether he should rely on a URM bump. I think the answer is that the URM bump is pretty unreliable in firm hiring. But I don't know much about URM hiring, so it would be nice if someone who did offered something constructive.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Bronte wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Not sure exactly what you're getting at, but if you mean you're worried Berkeley wouldn't do as we'll on the east coast, let OP worry about it. He's given enough info to answer the question whether he should rely on a URM bump. I think the answer is that the URM bump is pretty unreliable in firm hiring. But I don't know much about URM hiring, so it would be nice if someone who did offered something constructive.

Just meant PvC or PvM isn't exactly fungible in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am

wert3813 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Just meant PvC or PvM isn't exactly fungible in NY.

by lower T14 I meant DCNG not G. Sorry I thought that MVPB was like the middle of the T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 am

Well duke doesn't release rankings or the class median. (I.e. you cant be a D student because you'd have no way of knowing your rank)

Not that I care about outing you. But Top 40% at NU would be a nice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well duke doesn't release rankings or the class median. (I.e. you cant be a D student because you'd have no way of knowing your rank)

Not that I care about outing you. But Top 40% at NU would be a nice

For the record not the anon above and I'm trying to just leave it alone....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 am

This is clearly an AA at Cornell or they wouldn't be so worried about being outed (still not sure why they're so worried).

Some firms dip pretty low for URM candidates, though it usually helps if there are other substantial softs (e.g. rare and useful language skills, substantial work experience). I can think of a few people at Cornell that leveraged URM status + special skills into substantial reach firms. I'd bid aggressively but not too aggressively- certainly not below provided GPA floors, but bidding where you're below average mostly seems reasonable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 am

There are a lot of differing opinions on whether URM helps with firms. In my experience it did not, though I am Hispanic, not AA, and my softs suck. There is a thread on here if you search for it.

If I were you, I would assume that firms will treat your GPA the same as anyone else's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is clearly an AA at Cornell or they wouldn't be so worried about being outed (still not sure why they're so worried).

Some firms dip pretty low for URM candidates, though it usually helps if there are other substantial softs (e.g. rare and useful language skills, substantial work experience). I can think of a few people at Cornell that leveraged URM status + special skills into substantial reach firms. I'd bid aggressively but not too aggressively- certainly not below provided GPA floors, but bidding where you're below average mostly seems reasonable.

Thnx these were more or less the type of responese that I was looking for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is clearly an AA at Cornell or they wouldn't be so worried about being outed (still not sure why they're so worried).

I didnt mean to sound nasty or give you a hard time above. Good luck with OCI. You're in a pretty good place

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I didnt mean to sound nasty or give you a hard time above. Good luck with OCI. You're in a pretty good place

Its no problem I can understand how people were frustrated with what I was trying to ask and did not understand why I was being so vague concerning what school I'm at. Thanks.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 am

I think OP was given too much of a hard time in this thread. If OP says providing more info would out them, leave it at that. Providing geographic preference, gender, race + school is pretty close to being outed.
In any case, I think you have a decent shot at all firms except particularly grade sensitive ones like SullCrom or Cravath. Firms like Weil, Simpson, Davis, Kirkland + V15-35 would be my bids if I was you. Would only avoid firms with higher and clear cut GPA floors. This is of course assuming that you are at least an average interviewer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:03 am

Return to “Legal Employment”