3L NYC OCI (corporate)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L NYC OCI (corporate)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Basically trying to answer a few questions regarding 3L NYC OCI. Stats are top 5% at V40 with 2L SA at non-V, NLJ 250 firm.

(1) First, which V firms in NYC typically hire 3Ls at all? If so, do you have any sense how many 3Ls were hired? (looking at firms that are strong in corporate)

Beginning list is:
- Cravath
- Cahill Gordon
- Simpson
- Skadden

^^ I realize this list is ambitious.. please suggest any firms you think would be within reach

(2) Has anyone with similar stats had success with this? (I realize this is an impossible question.. looking more for anecdotal advice).

(3) What is the suggested timeline to begin mailing? I've read that its best to wait until offer in hand from 2L firm.. but not sure if this is too late (especially if it doesn't come in until mid- to late-August).

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L NYC OCI (corporate)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically trying to answer a few questions regarding 3L NYC OCI. Stats are top 5% at V40 with 2L SA at non-V, NLJ 250 firm.

(1) First, which V firms in NYC typically hire 3Ls at all? If so, do you have any sense how many 3Ls were hired? (looking at firms that are strong in corporate)

Beginning list is:
- Cravath
- Cahill Gordon
- Simpson
- Skadden

^^ I realize this list is ambitious.. please suggest any firms you think would be within reach

(2) Has anyone with similar stats had success with this? (I realize this is an impossible question.. looking more for anecdotal advice).

(3) What is the suggested timeline to begin mailing? I've read that its best to wait until offer in hand from 2L firm.. but not sure if this is too late (especially if it doesn't come in until mid- to late-August).

Thanks for your help.

I got a 3L offer from Skadden off a mass mailer as top 5% from a T-25. You should try to figure out which practice groups they are hiring 3Ls for and specifically mention them. (maybe just email recruiting and ask, they are pretty open about this information)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically trying to answer a few questions regarding 3L NYC OCI. Stats are top 5% at V40 with 2L SA at non-V, NLJ 250 firm.

Beginning list is:
- Cravath
- Cahill Gordon
- Simpson
- Skadden

Thanks for your help.

I got a 3L offer from Skadden off a mass mailer as top 5% from a T-25. You should try to figure out which practice groups they are hiring 3Ls for and specifically mention them. (maybe just email recruiting and ask, they are pretty open about this information)

agree with the above advice - i'd frankly reach out to all NYC V20 offices in recruiting and note that you think you may be interested in pursuing a 3L position and if they expect to have openings (along w/your resume and transcript). why not try to beat the OCI to the punch

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Beginning list is:
- Cravath
- Cahill Gordon
- Simpson
- Skadden

Thanks for your help.

agree with the above advice - i'd frankly reach out to all NYC V20 offices in recruiting and note that you think you may be interested in pursuing a 3L position and if they expect to have openings (along w/your resume and transcript). why not try to beat the OCI to the punch

Not OP here, but still interested in knowing when you sent out the emails

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not OP here, but still interested in knowing when you sent out the emails

Poster who received a 3L offer from Skadden here. I did my targeted mailing at the end of August (there were only a handful of firms that I would have taken over my SA firm). At that point the firm should know which of their SAs have accepted their offers. Too early and you'll end up buried in a pile or in the trash can. Too late and you'll miss the very short 3L hiring season. You should be aware that most V-10 firms hiring 3Ls do OCI at T-14 schools looking for students who want to trade up, so it is not easy to snag an interview otherwise. You need to find the firms still looking for 3Ls after the 3L OCI.

Everyone I interviewed with asked if I received an offer from my SA firm, so you should be focusing on that at this point. I went from V-40 to skadden, so I don't know how easy it is to go from a lower ranked "biglaw" firm. At any rate, you should lock up your current offer right now. You are almost one hundred percent assured to fail in trading up if you do not have an offer. (I only say almost because of the rare anecdote of a successful networker who did not have an offer--don't assume you'll be that person) Worry about mass mailing after you have finished the summer. It only takes a couple minutes per firm, so I wouldn't obsess over it at this point. Trust me, in five years having locked up any gig paying six figures will be much more important than if you managed to trade up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:20 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: why not try to beat the OCI to the punch

I would only try this if I had a connection to the firm. 3Ls are almost certainly not on HR's radars until after 2L OCI is over. Look at it this way--a firm will have X number of slots for 3Ls at OCI at T-14(or T-6) schools. They are unlikely to fill those up with students from outside the top schools until they are sure they can't get the person who wants to trade up from a V-10 to a V-5. You could reach out to HR in advance and ask if they are hiring 3Ls, but my experience is that they will say no until after OCI, so you are really just wasting an email and risking being dinged before they even get your resume. I am sure people have been successful mass mailing early, but HR knows when mass-mailing season is supposed to begin. They will not necessarily be happy to have to deal with the random resume earlier than they were expecting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 pm

OP here - thanks for all the responses.

Agree with the general consensus that top priority, at this point, is to get offer from SA firm (although I think this is relatively secure)

I don't think I will send any emails to HR until end of July at the earliest. I'm starting to think it might come off as anxious/desperate if acting too soon. HR is probably preoccupied with 2L OCI anyway. I like the idea of finding practice groups that are hiring (though I am open to pretty much anything transactional/corporate) - would be a much better initial form of contact instead of the usual "are you hiring 3Ls?"

Return to “Legal Employment”