Columbia Law School EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia Law School EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from:
Orrick
Milbank (DW)
Baker & McKenzie

Thinking I should give up hope but can't seem to without news...

I'm still waiting for Orrick too. Haven't seen any cb's on here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:20 pm

DPW and CSM have given out some offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW and CSM have given out some offers.

Thanks! Much appreciated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Paul Weiss has also given out offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 pm

For those firms that have started giving out offers, could more be likely to come from this week's interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Cahill has given out at least one offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Has anyone received a rejection from Boies lit
NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those firms that have started giving out offers, could more be likely to come from this week's interviews?

I'd say they could come next week or later. Hiring timelines seem to be erratic reading through threads from previous years. Sometimes people who interviewed the same day at the same firm received offers weeks apart.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really surprised at some of the rejections. The cbs have come from interviews I thought went great. Most of the dings the I expected, but some came from firms that aren't grade conscious with interviewers I thought I connected with well. Makes me wonder what it was so I can make sure not to do it during cbs.

Same here. It probably depends on a lot of random variables like your interviewer's mood, whether he had lunch yet, etc. What's good about callbacks is that you're meeting with five or so interviewers, not one, so one unpredictably bad interview won't kill you if you're a genuinely cool person

CLS 3L here - I definitely had the same experience with screeners. Just two things to (hopefully) help you guys out:

1) Not to induce more stress, but at least at some firms, you need to get positive reviews from every single callback interviewer to get an offer.

2) Firms will not necessarily hand out offers on any sort of predictable schedule. Some do have hiring commitee meetings once a week or so which will result in calls going out that day/the next day. But others are more erratic - for instance, I know of people who interviewed with DPW on the same day who got offers a couple days apart from each other. I know it's hard, but try not to worry about it.

Good luck all, hope you guys hear good news soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really surprised at some of the rejections. The cbs have come from interviews I thought went great. Most of the dings the I expected, but some came from firms that aren't grade conscious with interviewers I thought I connected with well. Makes me wonder what it was so I can make sure not to do it during cbs.

Same here. It probably depends on a lot of random variables like your interviewer's mood, whether he had lunch yet, etc. What's good about callbacks is that you're meeting with five or so interviewers, not one, so one unpredictably bad interview won't kill you if you're a genuinely cool person

CLS 3L here - I definitely had the same experience with screeners. Just two things to (hopefully) help you guys out:

1) Not to induce more stress, but at least at some firms, you need to get positive reviews from every single callback interviewer to get an offer.

2) Firms will not necessarily hand out offers on any sort of predictable schedule. Some do have hiring commitee meetings once a week or so which will result in calls going out that day/the next day. But others are more erratic - for instance, I know of people who interviewed with DPW on the same day who got offers a couple days apart from each other. I know it's hard, but try not to worry about it.

Good luck all, hope you guys hear good news soon.

Thanks all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Any idea what the CB invite schedule looks like going forward?

I haven't heard from 9 firms yet (6 from Tuesday, one each from the other days) and I'm worried that I missed the train.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Snail mail dings from DLA Piper and Orrick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Snail mail dings from DLA Piper and Orrick.

Same here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Snail mail ding from Freshfields.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Anyone heard from Akin Gump NY? I've only seen one CB on here, otherwise silent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Also, anyone from Milbank (DW)? Seems to have been little news either way...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

The whole EIP thing seems a bit pointless to me now. I feel like if everything were just resume drop, I'd have the same results, except a lot less time wasted. They judge us on paper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Akin Gump NY? I've only seen one CB on here, otherwise silent.

CB from Akin NY Thursday night. Declined the CB Friday. Hopefully this happens frequently and they can send out a second wave of CBs early this week. Definitely too early to worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:The whole EIP thing seems a bit pointless to me now. I feel like if everything were just resume drop, I'd have the same results, except a lot less time wasted. They judge us on paper.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:The whole EIP thing seems a bit pointless to me now. I feel like if everything were just resume drop, I'd have the same results, except a lot less time wasted. They judge us on paper.

Demonstrably false. I have Stone friends who aren't great interviewers with only a couple of CBs and non-Stone friends with 10+ CBs from most of the top firms. Of course paper credentials matter, but EIP adds massive value for the median kids with excellent social skills. Firms do EIP for just this reason, as they should.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Demonstrably false. I have Stone friends who aren't great interviewers with only a couple of CBs and non-Stone friends with 10+ CBs from most of the top firms. Of course paper credentials matter, but EIP adds massive value for the median kids with excellent social skills. Firms do EIP for just this reason, as they should.

Agreed. Non-stone friends who have unique softs and are really personable are doing much better than you'd expect. It may not help the people who are average interviewers but definitely helps those who have unique credentials or are awesome in interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I'm a Stone who had very good interviews and I only have 2 CBs. My point is not to complain, just to express my frustration with spending so much time preparing for interviews that don't seem to have made much difference for me personally. Maybe they're choosing higher Stones, maybe non K-JDs while I went straight through, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I'm a Stone who had very good interviews and I only have 2 CBs. My point is not to complain, just to express my frustration with spending so much time preparing for interviews that don't seem to have made much difference for me personally. Maybe they're choosing higher Stones, maybe non K-JDs while I went straight through, etc.

The problem is that "good interviews" may not be good enough when the other people on your schedule were having great interviews. Are you talking enough about the stuff you did this past summer (since you're a K-JD)? Are you showing enough excitement about that work and maybe law in general? Did you bid too high by any chance?

The only reason I'm asking these questions is because, again, I have multiple friends who aren't even Stone who have many callbacks. One of the problems I've noticed in this process is that people totally overestimate their interviewing skills. It's a hard thing to gauge, I guess, but I would look at that and bidding before concluding that it's all grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The problem is that "good interviews" may not be good enough when the other people on your schedule were having great interviews. Are you talking enough about the stuff you did this past summer (since you're a K-JD)? Are you showing enough excitement about that work and maybe law in general? Did you bid too high by any chance?

The only reason I'm asking these questions is because, again, I have multiple friends who aren't even Stone who have many callbacks. One of the problems I've noticed in this process is that people totally overestimate their interviewing skills. It's a hard thing to gauge, I guess, but I would look at that and bidding before concluding that it's all grades.

I definitely did not overestimate my interviewing skills- I did much better than I expected. I believe I did all that you listed, and I don't think I bid too high (I'm not surprised by the V10 rejections I got, but disappointed by some others). I don't think it's all grades, but it sounds like people with excellent grades and amazing resumes are a cinch for CBs, and people who are the best interviewers get a lot of CBs as well. Then there a lot of people like me who probably aren't the absolute best on either front, but overall present a very good, well-rounded candidacy that should be equal to or greater than the person who is mostly strong on one front.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a Stone who had very good interviews...

How can you say this when it's demonstrably false:

Anonymous User wrote:...I only have 2 CBs.

Return to “Legal Employment”