Columbia Law School EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia Law School EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 am

Below median I think, but not by much. 1 Year of meh WE, secondary journal

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice. Looking for corporate work in NY.

1 Kirkland & Ellis LLP 
2 Shearman & Sterling LLP 
3 Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP 
4 Baker & McKenzie LLP 
5 Mayer Brown LLP 
6 Sidley Austin LLP 
7 Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP 
8 Bingham McCutchen LLP 
9 Debevoise & Plimpton LLP* 
10 WilmerHale LLP* 
11 Jones Day 
12 Clifford Chance US LLP 
13 Arnold & Porter LLP* 
14 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy LLP 
15 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP 
16 Hogan Lovells US LLP 
17 Morrison & Foerster LLP 
18 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP 
19 Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP 
20 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP 
21 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP 
22 Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP 
23 Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft LLP 
24 Chadbourne & Parke LLP 
25 Dechert LLP 
26 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP 
27 Greenberg Traurig LLP 
27 King & Spalding 
28 Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP 
29 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP 
30 Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP 

* Thinking of removing (first two because of selectivity, and A&P because it's so small).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Below median I think, but not by much. 1 Year of meh WE, secondary journal

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice. Looking for corporate work in NY.

1 Kirkland & Ellis LLP 
4 Baker & McKenzie LLP 
5 Mayer Brown LLP 
6 Sidley Austin LLP 
8 Bingham McCutchen LLP 
10 WilmerHale LLP* 
11 Jones Day 
13 Arnold & Porter LLP* 
16 Hogan Lovells US LLP 
25 Dechert LLP 
27 Greenberg Traurig LLP 
27 King & Spalding 

* Thinking of removing (first two because of selectivity, and A&P because it's so small).

Do you have any hooks besides what you mentioned? By this I would mean something like a prestigious undergrad, interesting personal background / URM, language skills, etc? I don't think your list is bad -- it just seems a bit risky. A lot of the firms you have up there are 60% stone/kent or more. Certainly not impossible if you're around median, but you'll need something to make you stand out.

If nothing else will make you stand out, I would be a little bit more concerned with making sure you got interviews with the firms in red, even if it means moving some places down - like DPW.

aceofspades8412

Postby aceofspades8412 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:17 am

Torg20 wrote:Hey Ace, which career advisor told you about the records of highest successful bids from years past? Mine hasn't heard anything about it.

Well when I went in to the office I met with Mr. Buchman. And I've since corresponded with Ms. Jeffers and both of them had the list in front of them when they were working with me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Below median I think, but not by much. 1 Year of meh WE, secondary journal

1 Kirkland & Ellis LLP 
4 Baker & McKenzie LLP 
5 Mayer Brown LLP 
6 Sidley Austin LLP 
8 Bingham McCutchen LLP 
10 WilmerHale LLP* 
11 Jones Day 
13 Arnold & Porter LLP* 
16 Hogan Lovells US LLP 
25 Dechert LLP 
27 Greenberg Traurig LLP 
27 King & Spalding 

Do you have any hooks besides what you mentioned? By this I would mean something like a prestigious undergrad, interesting personal background / URM, language skills, etc? I don't think your list is bad -- it just seems a bit risky. A lot of the firms you have up there are 60% stone/kent or more. Certainly not impossible if you're around median, but you'll need something to make you stand out.

If nothing else will make you stand out, I would be a little bit more concerned with making sure you got interviews with the firms in red, even if it means moving some places down - like DPW.

Fellow 2L here. Based on my very limited knowledge of this process, I tend to agree with this advice. I would also go further and urge you to consider dropping Gibson from your list entirely. Despite what the honors reports might say, they are still a grade selective firm. Not saying you shouldn't have reaches but something to consider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Between Kirkland, Gibson Dunn, Weil, Devevoise, WilmerHale, and Jones Day, which would be best to eliminate just because of grades?

I'm leaning toward Debevoise, but they have a larger class and do dip into the middle (according to the counselor). So Wilmerhale could get cut too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 am

Shameless bump, possibly ignored because no sign off?

Long-time listener, first-time caller. I could really use help on my bid list; please let me know firms that need to be moved up/can be moved down, etc. I am a very low Stone scholar, secondary journal, not an URM, K-law school with legal work during summers (mostly government), probably average interviewer. Applying only in NY. Don't care about feedback saying, for instance, that I spelled names incorrectly.

1. Shearman
2. Kirkland & Ellis
3. Gibson Dunn
4. Skadden
5. Debevoise
6. Ropes & Gray
7. Cleary Gottlieb
8. Sidley Austin
9. White & Case
10. Jones Day
11. Milbank
12. Paul, Weiss
13. Akin Gump
14. Weil
15. Simpson Thacher
16. Davis Polk
17. Cahill
18. O’Melveny
19. K & L Gates
20. Winston & Strawn
21. Goodwin Procter
22. Kaye Scholer
23. Chadbourne
24. Covington
25. Schulte
26. Fried Frank
27. Cravath, Swain, & Moore
28. Hughes Hubbard
29. Stroock & Stroock
30. Brown Rudnick

Firms that I want to include, but am not sure I have room for (with reasons):
Paul Hastings (would replace 3): concerned about number of offers, honestly--vault ranking for spot it needs to be bid, and decreased interviews offered.
Latham (would replace 9): not sure about firm culture, handling of recession, and like White & Case.
Wilkie (would replace 10): Honestly, this firm's reception and reputation make it hard for me to not list...but with fewer interview spots, and fear of not getting an offer, I am considering strategically cutting it.
Cadawalder (would replace 12): I think this is right around where it needs to be bid. Would change it out for Paul, Weiss if I don't have a realistic shot at Paul.
Freshfields (would replace 14): Weil. Not sure how I feel about it; not sure where to bid it; thoughts welcome.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Good luck to us all!!

-Shaken not stirred

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

aceofspades8412 wrote:
Torg20 wrote:Hey Ace, which career advisor told you about the records of highest successful bids from years past? Mine hasn't heard anything about it.

Well when I went in to the office I met with Mr. Buchman. And I've since corresponded with Ms. Jeffers and both of them had the list in front of them when they were working with me.

I'm told Marta Ricardo also has that list. I think OCS's policy is not to give it out to anyone because they don't want people to rely on it, but it's helpful in just getting a sense of where you need to shift things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Between Kirkland, Gibson Dunn, Weil, Devevoise, WilmerHale, and Jones Day, which would be best to eliminate just because of grades?

I'm leaning toward Debevoise, but they have a larger class and do dip into the middle (according to the counselor). So Wilmerhale could get cut too.

(same poster as before, by the way)

Gibson Dunn and WilmerHale are the most grade selective, based on what I've heard. Also, you want to do corporate right? They're much more lit heavy anyway.

I would actually keep Debevoise based on your interests and their reputation. I think Weil might be a good target. First, some people may avoid them based on the recent news (somewhat stupidly IMO). Second, I know from associates who work there that they are more of a fit firm -- so if you have a good interview, median-ish grades might not be a problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Between Kirkland, Gibson Dunn, Weil, Devevoise, WilmerHale, and Jones Day, which would be best to eliminate just because of grades?

(same poster as before, by the way)

Gibson Dunn and WilmerHale are the most grade selective, based on what I've heard. Also, you want to do corporate right? They're much more lit heavy anyway.

I would actually keep Debevoise based on your interests and their reputation. I think Weil might be a good target. First, some people may avoid them based on the recent news (somewhat stupidly IMO). Second, I know from associates who work there that they are more of a fit firm -- so if you have a good interview, median-ish grades might not be a problem.

Thanks a lot for your response; it was really helpful!

Just one last question. After removing these firms, I have some space in the upper 20s. What should should we do with these slots? There's a very low chance of actually getting the firm that is there, so should we just find a possible interview slot or leave a desired firm there so we can later say we bid on them but didn't get it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am

Also a median-ish student here, interested in transactional. I have 6 or so firms on my list that are between 50-60% Honors (my reach firms I suppose). Out of Gibson Dunn, Wilmerhale, Kirkland, Weil, Kramer Levin, Wilkie Farr, are there any that should be cut off the list because they're too grade conscious or whatever?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also a median-ish student here, interested in transactional. I have 6 or so firms on my list that are between 50-60% Honors (my reach firms I suppose). Out of Gibson Dunn, Wilmerhale, Kirkland, Weil, Kramer Levin, Wilkie Farr, are there any that should be cut off the list because they're too grade conscious or whatever?

See the above post. Gibson Dunn is definitely grade conscious. WilmerHale is too, even if maybe slightly less so, but again their strength is lit so seems like a waste for you. Use common sense -- some firms may have hard grade cut offs, but if you have a 3.35, your choices probably are not too much worse than someone with a 3.41.

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks a lot for your response; it was really helpful!

Just one last question. After removing these firms, I have some space in the upper 20s. What should should we do with these slots? There's a very low chance of actually getting the firm that is there, so should we just find a possible interview slot or leave a desired firm there so we can later say we bid on them but didn't get it?

I would advise trying to maximize your interviews with the late 20s slots. Just go through the data and find firms that are underbid or just barely fill their bids. Even if its in other cities or with firms you think might be unlikely to get an offer, no point in wasting the bids.

Protip: firms don't know your bidlist. So you can always go to a hospitality tent and tell them how interested you are and how you bid them high but must have just missed. That being said, don't know how successful people are who get interviews outside of the bidding process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm

3.46 GPA, K-JD, not a URM, secondary journal, average interviewer. Applying only in NY.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

1. Kirkland & Ellis
2. Gibson Dunn
3. Shearman & Sterling
4. Debevoise Plimpton
5. Ropes & Gray
6. Latham & Watkins
7. Cleary Gottlieb
8. Paul Weiss
9. Kaye Scholer
10. WilmerHale
11. Sidley Austin
12. Wilkie Farr & Gallagher
13. Covington & Burling
14. Milbank Tweed
15. Davis Polk
16.. Cadwalader
17. Dechert
18. Chadbourne & Parke
19. Schulte Roth & Zabel
20. K&L Gates
21. Greenberg Traurig
22. Cahill Gordon
23. Fried Frank
24. Cooley LLP
25. Cravath
26. Pillsbury Winthrop
27. Baker Botts
28. Akin Gump
29. Goodwin Procter
30. Baker & Hostetler LLP

- Z

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.46 GPA, K-JD, not a URM, secondary journal, average interviewer. Applying only in NY.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

1. Kirkland & Ellis
2. Gibson Dunn
3. Shearman & Sterling
4. Debevoise Plimpton
5. Ropes & Gray
6. Latham & Watkins
7. Cleary Gottlieb
8. Paul Weiss
9. Kaye Scholer
10. WilmerHale
11. Sidley Austin
12. Wilkie Farr & Gallagher
13. Covington & Burling
14. Milbank Tweed
15. Davis Polk
16.. Cadwalader
17. Dechert
18. Chadbourne & Parke
19. Schulte Roth & Zabel
20. K&L Gates
21. Greenberg Traurig
22. Cahill Gordon
23. Fried Frank
24. Cooley LLP
25. Cravath
26. Pillsbury Winthrop
27. Baker Botts
28. Akin Gump
29. Goodwin Procter
30. Baker & Hostetler LLP

- Z

After a quick glance; I'd move up Sidley or drop it. Weiss probably doesn't need to be that high (maybe flip with Sidley). Simpson might be worth a bid in the 20s.

-Rufus

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shameless bump, possibly ignored because no sign off?

Long-time listener, first-time caller. I could really use help on my bid list; please let me know firms that need to be moved up/can be moved down, etc. I am a very low Stone scholar, secondary journal, not an URM, K-law school with legal work during summers (mostly government), probably average interviewer. Applying only in NY. Don't care about feedback saying, for instance, that I spelled names incorrectly.

1. Shearman
2. Kirkland & Ellis
3. Gibson Dunn
4. Skadden
5. Debevoise
6. Ropes & Gray
7. Cleary Gottlieb
8. Sidley Austin
9. White & Case
10. Jones Day
11. Milbank
12. Paul, Weiss
13. Akin Gump
14. Weil -
15. Simpson Thacher
16. Davis Polk
17. Cahill
18. O’Melveny
19. K & L Gates
20. Winston & Strawn
21. Goodwin Procter
22. Kaye Scholer
23. Chadbourne
24. Covington
25. Schulte
26. Fried Frank
27. Cravath, Swain, & Moore
28. Hughes Hubbard
29. Stroock & Stroock
30. Brown Rudnick

Firms that I want to include, but am not sure I have room for (with reasons):
Paul Hastings (would replace 3): concerned about number of offers, honestly--vault ranking for spot it needs to be bid, and decreased interviews offered.
Latham (would replace 9): not sure about firm culture, handling of recession, and like White & Case.
Wilkie (would replace 10): Honestly, this firm's reception and reputation make it hard for me to not list...but with fewer interview spots, and fear of not getting an offer, I am considering strategically cutting it.
Cadawalder (would replace 12): I think this is right around where it needs to be bid. Would change it out for Paul, Weiss if I don't have a realistic shot at Paul.
Freshfields (would replace 14): Weil. Not sure how I feel about it; not sure where to bid it; thoughts welcome.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Good luck to us all!!

-Shaken not stirred

I'm not sure how grade selective PW is, but low Stone might be a reach? It also probably doesn't need to be bid that high, I think they were almost underbid the previous year. It might be hard to get Jones Day at 10, Wilkie might be a better fit for you there. You may want to move Schulte up. You can probably get away with moving Simpson down.

Still wouldn't mind someone taking a glance at my most recent list - Rufus

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Low stone. K-JD. Secondary journal. Transactional focused. Targeted WE for the law I want to practice, not finance or anything like that though.

1. Proskauer
2. Ropes
3. Sidley
4. Kirkland
5. Shearman
6. Debevoise
7. Latham
8. Weil Gotshal
9. Paul Weiss
10. Hogan
11. Cleary
12. Winston Strawn
13. Cahill
14. Covington
15. Davis Polk
16. Willkie
17. Patterson
18. Katten Muchin
19. Akin Gump (LA)
20. Pryor
21. MoFo (LA)
22. Manatt (LA)
23. Cooley
24. Katten
25. Simpson
26. Boies Corp
27. Sheppard (LA)
28. Gibson (LA)
29. Omelveny (CC)
30. Irell (LA)

- Adande

Rufus if you critique mine I'll return the favor

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Low stone. K-JD. Secondary journal. Transactional focused. Targeted WE for the law I want to practice, not finance or anything like that though.

1. Proskauer
2. Ropes
3. Sidley
4. Kirkland
5. Shearman
6. Debevoise
7. Latham
8. Weil Gotshal
9. Paul Weiss
10. Hogan
11. Cleary
12. Winston Strawn
13. Cahill
14. Covington
15. Davis Polk
16. Willkie
17. Patterson
18. Katten Muchin
19. Akin Gump (LA)
20. Pryor
21. MoFo (LA)
22. Manatt (LA)
23. Cooley
24. Katten
25. Simpson
26. Boies Corp
27. Sheppard (LA)
28. Gibson (LA)
29. Omelveny (CC)
30. Irell (LA)

- Adande

I don't think Irell really does corporate so that seems like a throwaway

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Low stone. K-JD. Secondary journal. Transactional focused. Targeted WE for the law I want to practice, not finance or anything like that though.

1. Proskauer
2. Ropes
3. Sidley
4. Kirkland
5. Shearman
6. Debevoise
7. Latham
8. Weil Gotshal
9. Paul Weiss
10. Hogan
11. Cleary
12. Winston Strawn
13. Cahill
14. Covington
15. Davis Polk
16. Willkie
17. Patterson
18. Katten Muchin
19. Akin Gump (LA)
20. Pryor
21. MoFo (LA)
22. Manatt (LA)
23. Cooley
24. Katten
25. Simpson
26. Boies Corp
27. Sheppard (LA)
28. Gibson (LA)
29. Omelveny (CC)
30. Irell (LA)

- Adande

Doesn't look too bad, I can't really comment on LA firms. I might bump Willkie up a little. I still don't think PW needs to be top 10, but maybe I'm the one who's wrong about that.

I'd consider finding space for Milbank.

- Rufus

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1. Proskauer
2. Ropes
3. Sidley
4. Kirkland
5. Shearman
6. Debevoise
7. Latham
8. Weil Gotshal
9. Paul Weiss
10. Hogan
11. Cleary
12. Winston Strawn
13. Cahill
14. Covington
15. Davis Polk
16. Willkie
17. Patterson
18. Katten Muchin
19. Akin Gump (LA)
20. Pryor
21. MoFo (LA)
22. Manatt (LA)
23. Cooley
24. Katten
25. Simpson
26. Boies Corp
27. Sheppard (LA)
28. Gibson (LA)
29. Omelveny (CC)
30. Irell (LA)

- Adande

I don't think Irell really does corporate so that seems like a throwaway

Thanks for the feedback. I know they don't but I'm willing to do litigation there because I'm in love with the place.

Any other advice besides that? Am I being too aggressive overall with too many reaches?

Rufus: where do you think I should put Milbank if I were going to bid there?
- Adande

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rufus: where do you think I should put Milbank if I were going to bid there?
- Adande

I think I have them at 11 right now. It's just a firm that traditionally makes a lot of offers to CLS students, is right in your grade range, and has some solid transactional practice areas. But it's just a thought, it's not like it would be a mistake for you not to bid them.
- Rufus

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rufus: where do you think I should put Milbank if I were going to bid there?
- Adande

I think I have them at 11 right now. It's just a firm that traditionally makes a lot of offers to CLS students, is right in your grade range, and has some solid transactional practice areas. But it's just a thought, it's not like it would be a mistake for you not to bid them.
- Rufus

Yeah I gave them a hard thought but didn't think I could make room in my top 12. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again for your help. Any comments on my too many reaches worries?

Also I will post a critique when I get home later tonight. Promise

- Adande

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Hey Rufus,

Thanks for taking a look at my list. Couldn't find a more recent post, so I'll do this one.

Back again, 3.7, secondary journal, meh WE. Hopefully this is close to final, although I could use some recommendations for 25-30 (don't really want to, but could bid a secondary market if I'm just wasting those bids otherwise).
- Rufus

1. Kirkland
2. Sidley
3. Shearman
4. Skadden
5. Jones Day
6. Gibson
7. Debevoise
8. Sullivan Crom
9. Cleary
10. Latham
11. Milbank
12. Wilkie
13. Cahill
14. Schulte
15. Fried Frank
16. Davis Polk
17. Covington
18. Paul Weiss
19. Simpson TB
20. Freshfields
21. Cadwalader
22. Chadbourne
23. Cravath
24. Goodwin Proctor
25. O'Melveny
26. Dechert
27. Boeis Corp
28. Hughes Hubbard
29. Baker Botts

Sidley seems dispropportionately high. I think it would be safe around 10; I have it at 8. I think Gibson should be higher; probably top 4 is necessary to ensure a spot, though you might get it at 6. SullCrom can go down, probably as low as 13 (a spot someone got it at last year); maybe switch it with Latham, which could be one or spots higher to make sure you get it. Fried Frank could be in the low 20s, and Paul Weiss seems bid too low (thinking closer to 13--very popular, and looks to continue being so this year). Freshfields is also a little low (maybe 16 is better), and O'Melveny is no shot at 25. Probably under 20, maybe bid higher because they dropped 20 interviews. Other than that, your list looks good. As other people have suggested, you could consider throwing a firm on at 30, claiming you ranked it high and "must have just missed it" and picking up an interview from a hospitality suite, potentially. Hope this helps, and thanks again!

-Shaken, not stirred

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Rufus,

Thanks for taking a look at my list. Couldn't find a more recent post, so I'll do this one.

Back again, 3.7, secondary journal, meh WE. Hopefully this is close to final, although I could use some recommendations for 25-30 (don't really want to, but could bid a secondary market if I'm just wasting those bids otherwise).
- Rufus

1. Kirkland
2. Sidley
3. Shearman
4. Skadden
5. Jones Day
6. Gibson
7. Debevoise
8. Sullivan Crom
9. Cleary
10. Latham
11. Milbank
12. Wilkie
13. Cahill
14. Schulte
15. Fried Frank
16. Davis Polk
17. Covington
18. Paul Weiss
19. Simpson TB
20. Freshfields
21. Cadwalader
22. Chadbourne
23. Cravath
24. Goodwin Proctor
25. O'Melveny
26. Dechert
27. Boeis Corp
28. Hughes Hubbard
29. Baker Botts

Sidley seems dispropportionately high. I think it would be safe around 10; I have it at 8. I think Gibson should be higher; probably top 4 is necessary to ensure a spot, though you might get it at 6. SullCrom can go down, probably as low as 13 (a spot someone got it at last year); maybe switch it with Latham, which could be one or spots higher to make sure you get it. Fried Frank could be in the low 20s, and Paul Weiss seems bid too low (thinking closer to 13--very popular, and looks to continue being so this year). Freshfields is also a little low (maybe 16 is better), and O'Melveny is no shot at 25. Probably under 20, maybe bid higher because they dropped 20 interviews. Other than that, your list looks good. As other people have suggested, you could consider throwing a firm on at 30, claiming you ranked it high and "must have just missed it" and picking up an interview from a hospitality suite, potentially. Hope this helps, and thanks again!

-Shaken, not stirred

Why do you say disproportionately high? It is bid heavily with not many spots. I second the PW advice and maybe Simpson could be swapped with Freshfields.

- Adande

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 am

Anyone still around to give some last-minute review? Would be much appreciated before the deadline. Just shy of stone, 3 years work (2 irrelevant to hiring, 1 finance related), secondary journal. NY + transactional.

1- Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York, NY)
2 - Sidley Austin LLP (New York, NY)
3- Linklaters (New York, NY)
4 - Shearman & Sterling LLP (New York, NY)
5 - Allen & Overy LLP (New York, NY)
6 - Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom (New York, NY)
7 - Paul Hastings LLP (New York, NY)
8 - Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP (New York, NY)
9 - Latham & Watkins LLP (New York, NY)
10 -
11 - Jones Day (New York, NY)
12 - White & Case LLP (New York, NY)
13 - Ropes & Gray (New York, NY)
14 - Clifford Chance US LLP (New York, NY)
15 - Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP (New York, NY)
16 - Morrison & Foerster LLP (New York, NY)
17 - Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (New York, NY)
18 - Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP (New York, NY)
19 - Debevoise & Plimpton LLP (New York, NY)
20 - Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP (New York, NY)
21 - Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy LLP (New York, NY)
22 - Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP (New York, NY)
23 - Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP (New York, NY)
24 - Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft LLP (New York, NY)
25 - Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton (New York, NY)
26 - Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP (New York, NY)
27 - Dechert LLP (New York, NY)
28 - Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (New York, NY)
29 - Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP (New York, NY)
30 - Cooley LLP (New York, NY)

- Last Minute

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone still around to give some last-minute review? Would be much appreciated before the deadline. Just shy of stone, 3 years work (2 irrelevant to hiring, 1 finance related), secondary journal. NY + transactional.

1- Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York, NY)
2 - Sidley Austin LLP (New York, NY)
3- Linklaters (New York, NY)
4 - Shearman & Sterling LLP (New York, NY)
5 - Allen & Overy LLP (New York, NY)
6 - Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom (New York, NY)
7 - Paul Hastings LLP (New York, NY)
8 - Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP (New York, NY)
9 - Latham & Watkins LLP (New York, NY)
10 -
11 - Jones Day (New York, NY)
12 - White & Case LLP (New York, NY)
13 - Ropes & Gray (New York, NY)
14 - Clifford Chance US LLP (New York, NY)
15 - Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP (New York, NY)
16 - Morrison & Foerster LLP (New York, NY)
17 - Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (New York, NY)
18 - Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP (New York, NY)
19 - Debevoise & Plimpton LLP (New York, NY)
20 - Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP (New York, NY)
21 - Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy LLP (New York, NY)
22 - Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP (New York, NY)
23 - Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP (New York, NY)
24 - Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft LLP (New York, NY)
25 - Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton (New York, NY)
26 - Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP (New York, NY)
27 - Dechert LLP (New York, NY)
28 - Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (New York, NY)
29 - Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP (New York, NY)
30 - Cooley LLP (New York, NY)

- Last Minute

Hello Last Minute, welcome to the thread.

At first glance I wonder if MoFo, Milbank, Willkie, SRZ and Freshfields are too low. I think I'd be particularly concerned about SRZ as they give out a fairly large number of offers.

Debevoise is definitely too low and I don't know how feasible they are from below Stone. (TOTALLY possible but a reach would be my guess.) Paul, Weiss is probably out of reach, though.

Overall I think it's pretty good and it'll be great if you make some further tweaks to it.

Good luck!

-Ted "Theodore" Logan

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Would appreciate any last minute tips. I think I selected a good mix of firms, but I'm not really sure about the ordering (and may have missed some that I should be bidding on), so they're basically just ordered by amount of interviews divided by amount of bids from last year. I'm right at median, non-URM, secondary journal, no work experience, leaning towards litigation and labor/employment law, but not 100% set on it or anything.

1. Proskauer Rose
2. Shearman & Sterling
3. Sidley Austin
4. Arnold Porter
5. Kirkland & Ellis
6. Morrison & Foerster
7. Mayer Brown
8. Hogan Lovells
9. Gibson Dunn
10. Wilmerhale
11. Ropes & Gray
12. Paul Hastings