Columbia Law School EIP 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia Law School EIP 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Other T6 student who is struggling dropping in here. I am the type of person you describe (or so I like to think) -- sane but hard-working, and I'm friendly but I do not BS or pass the buck. However, it seems that people who it would be terrible to work with (and I know, from forced group work) are the ones raking in the callbacks and offers. Difference? Them = white guy, me = asian female. Honestly, do the stereotypes of 'quiet' asian women affect your thinking at all? in the sense that they might have to overcompensate by being extra loud or something? Because I'm starting to think that 'good interviewing' means tall and loud.
Just to chime in --- the people who are struggling all seem to point to some external factor (bad luck, Asian, quiet, whatever). Here's the thing: EIP is a closed system. There are 400 CLS students (or, with transfers, maybe more like 800) interviewing with firms. Interviewers get a certain number of callbacks to give to the people they interview. The math is pretty simple. If you didn't get a callback, the interviewer thought too many people were better than you. Maybe its your grades, maybe its your resume, maybe its your interview, or maybe it does have something to do with luck (the interviewer was in a shitty mood right before you went in). In the end, luck isn't the difference between getting 10 CBs and getting 2. There are also plenty of quiet, introverted people who are successful in big law.

If I were struggling, I'd think about what I could do differently, not the impact of stereotypes / luck.
You really think I haven't tried to improve my interviewing? Of course I have. I still believe that the tall white dudes have an inherent advantage over me though, even if I am smarter and more outgoing outside of the interview process. Your comment totally disregards that and sounds like "pull yourself up by the bootstraps."
The thing is that "tall white dudes" have most likely spent a lifetime being at the top of the social hierarchy, so they'll probably have acquired a sense of confidence and ease that minorities and women often lack in some way. It's probably not the interviewers explicitly discriminating in favour of these people, but it still reflects the obvious tilted playing field in society (and not just in the narrow world of OCI).
Tall, Loud Black Guy here from T6 not Columbia. All B's and one B-. Great work experience and softs.

26 Screeners, 7 CBs (1 V20, 3 V50s 2 V100s and 1 non Vault firm that pays market.) 1 Offer so far and 3 CBS left to complete this week. FWIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a good friend who got an offer from Weil. Still no word on Chadbourne or Cadwalader?
Seriously, has no one from this school been offered by Chadbourne? They interviewed a bunch of us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tall, Loud Black Guy here from T6 not Columbia. All B's and one B-. Great work experience and softs.

26 Screeners, 7 CBs (1 V20, 3 V50s 2 V100s and 1 non Vault firm that pays market.) 1 Offer so far and 3 CBS left to complete this week. FWIW.
I think this is more important than anything else. I think people who speak at normal or below-average volumes are at a disadvantage, and while that may just be the name of the game for BigLaw, it certainly has no bearing on a person's ability to do great work at a firm, even when considering the situations where being "loud" is most helpful (in the courtroom or at the negotiating table). I for one would feel much more comfortable being louder in these situations than in a one-on-one interview. That's just how I am.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a good friend who got an offer from Weil. Still no word on Chadbourne or Cadwalader?
Seriously, has no one from this school been offered by Chadbourne? They interviewed a bunch of us.
I had a CB with them right before EIP (I screened with them in Spring OCI), and got a ding less than a week later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Tall, Loud Black Guy here from T6 not Columbia. All B's and one B-. Great work experience and softs.

Anonymous User wrote: The thing is that "tall white dudes" have most likely spent a lifetime being at the top of the social hierarchy, so they'll probably have acquired a sense of confidence and ease that minorities and women often lack in some way. It's probably not the interviewers explicitly discriminating in favour of these people, but it still reflects the obvious tilted playing field in society (and not just in the narrow world of OCI)

I also want to chip in here as I creep on the Columbia forum.

5'8" Asian guy from lower T14. Transfer from a T2 outside the top 10%. Great work experience and softs. Not particularly loud, but I like to consider myself confident and social.

15 screeners, 10 CBs (2 V20, 4 V50s, 3 V100s and 1 non Vault firm paying market). 1 offer so far.

No stereotyping here!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Still no word from either Chadbourne or Cadwalader (CB's were both shortly after EIP ended)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Any idea what the general turnaround for STB callback--> offer is?

+1. Had a Cb on Friday. Wondering at what point I should move on
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 pm

I know someone with Chadbourne NY offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:18 pm

So... has anyone else with an offer from Cahill Gordon gotten a ton of emails/phone calls offering to answer questions/concerns? Curious if they bombard everyone or if it's just me (they like me, they really like me!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Someone from Columbia? I know some people from NYU had them, but I hadn't heard any from Columbia. Do you have an idea when they got it, if you can say without outing them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So... has anyone else with an offer from Cahill Gordon gotten a ton of emails/phone calls offering to answer questions/concerns? Curious if they bombard everyone or if it's just me (they like me, they really like me!)
Yep! Same here. They're super friendly and helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So... has anyone else with an offer from Cahill Gordon gotten a ton of emails/phone calls offering to answer questions/concerns? Curious if they bombard everyone or if it's just me (they like me, they really like me!)
Yep! Same here. They're super friendly and helpful.
I also got Cahill-bombed. Seems like good people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Has anyone heard from allen and overy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from Hogan Lovells after a callback?
Yeah, heard yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, heard yesterday
If you don't mind telling me,, when was your cb?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, heard yesterday
Last Thursday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Anyone hear from Stroock post CB?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Stroock post CB?
Yes - slightly less than a week later

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Any post call back news for Katten?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 pm

I hate to ask the same question over again, but has anyone received an offer from Paul Hastings NY yet?
From what I understand, PH finished doing all of their super interview days by now, right?
I am getting a bit antsy waiting to hear back...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any post call back news for Katten?
Offer today, CB was last Thurs (for NY office)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hate to ask the same question over again, but has anyone received an offer from Paul Hastings NY yet?
From what I understand, PH finished doing all of their super interview days by now, right?
I am getting a bit antsy waiting to hear back...
I have not yet heard from Paul Hastings and it's been over a week. They didn't tell me when to expect to hear by, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

fwiw.

Firms do not do offers on the same day for all people that interviewed on the same day. It's a matter of when the person who is supposed to call gets in touch with you, and they have a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Someone from Columbia? I know some people from NYU had them, but I hadn't heard any from Columbia. Do you have an idea when they got it, if you can say without outing them?
Yes, from Columbia. And I think it was late last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, heard yesterday
Last Thursday
NY office?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”