6th at a T2 in the NY, CT, MA region

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

6th at a T2 in the NY, CT, MA region

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 am

So I finished 6th at my law school this year and graded onto law review for the fall. I know even so I have at most an outside chance at a lot of BigLaw firms in NYC or Boston. Does anyone have any advice about firms to potentially target or any other advice on the matter. I just want to cast my net as wide as possible. I am from the area and would be happy in either city. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous User

Re: 6th at a T2 in the NY, CT, MA region

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 am

Look for firms that hire from your school and start there. My firm hires a summer or two every year from two particular T2/T3 NYC area schools, but hires much more rarely/not at all from other similarly or higher ranked NYC schools.

Are you asking for outside of OCI? Even if your school has a small OCI, as one of the top 10 students I would imagine most of the firms coming to OCI would give you a look. Assuming your school has OCI, I would focus on doing your homework on those firms first, then target other firms that have hired from your school, and use whatever extra time you have left to mass mail other places.

Edit: Posted anon by mistake. This is Wholigan

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 am

The school has OCI but not a ton of Boston or NYC firms attend. I am more so talking about outside OCI. I have some contacts in NYC that I've reached out to and are providing advice. I more so meant firms I should mass mail or any BigLaw in either city that people that excelled at a T2 school summered at or knew of others with success doing so

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:30 am

Transferring might not be a bad idea. Look at CCN (maybe reaches), Michigan, and Penn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:44 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I would still seriously consider transferring to Columbia or NYU (or even Harvard if you can swing it). It's great that you did 1L for free at least, it would take the sting out of paying sticker for the last two years. It just seems to me that UConn is not a school that's really on the radar for many NYC firms. Maybe Boston is a bit different, but still, I think you would be vastly increasing your chances with a transfer.

Anyway, if you stay, I think the only real answer is "apply to all the firms." Mass mailing. And try to reach out to alumni. Also think about being very frank with your career services people that you may be considering a transfer and see what help they can offer. They should want to keep you.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 pm

OP is paying no tuition, would be happy practicing in Connecticut, and is ranked 6th in the class. You should absolutely not transfer to take on 100k + of debt. With that rank from UConn you are a lock for Connecticut firms. I'm not sure about NYC but if you are happy staying in CT don't transfer.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:50 pm

champ33 wrote:OP is paying no tuition, would be happy practicing in Connecticut, and is ranked 6th in the class. You should absolutely not transfer to take on 100k + of debt. With that rank from UConn you are a lock for Connecticut firms. I'm not sure about NYC but if you are happy staying in CT don't transfer.

I dunno, how many Connecticut "biglaw" firms are there? (Even with big scare quotes around "biglaw.") I'll defer to anyone with actual knowledge of the market, of course, but I'd be a little concerned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:30 pm

OP again. So when I say BigLaw I am talking about the major firms in Hartford or Stamford (Day Pitney, Murtha Culina, etc) not V20 firms. The nice thing is here I walk out with 0 debt and I am not under a ton of pressure to secure employment as a BigLaw job. My question was really because I thought I did very well this year and my grades/Law review would give me at least a fighting chance in each of these markets. I know if I was set on working at a V10 or something like that I should transfer to CCN but given my aspirations I don't know if it makes a whole lot of sense to take on around 150,000 of debt.

ither way I plan on reaching out to Alumni at BigLaw in each respective city and mass mailing I was just curious if anyone had experienced this before or had any advice. I do have connections in BigLaw in NYC firms that I am talking with so maybe that gets me at least an interview or something at one or two places.

I do appreciate the transfer suggests. Given I was rejected from my dream schools and didn't have a snowballs chance in hell at CCN it feels good hearing people suggest I give it a shot.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 pm

I was in a similar position and made the decision not to transfer. I struck out at real big city BigLaw, but clerked for the local Fed. CoA judge and now I'm at the highest paying and highest regarded local firm. Sometimes I regret not transferring, sometimes I'm happy I stayed home and went to law school for free. I also have no idea if I would have landed the clerkship if I went to CCN and ended up with median grades there, and that would have been a shame.

If you stay at UConn, mass-mail NYC and Boston (and anywhere else you'd like to live). Plan to send out 1000 e-mails, and plan on getting only 3-4 interviews at the max. Make sure you're content with staying in your home market and that you're okay with the fact that you probably won't land a gig in NYC or Boston.

While you seem to have made up your mind that you'll be staying put, I'll brief what I see as the pros and cons. The pros are that you'll have probably solid employment options in your home town and you'll have little debt, so getting started at life (e.g. buying a house, starting a family) will not involve a ton of financial stress. Local firms also often provide earlier responsibility and important assignments when compared to the work you'll do at first at the NYC vault firms (a huge generalization from what I've seen on the multi-party cases when a co-defendant is represented by a NYC BigLaw firm). The cons are that you won't make the biglaw pay scale and bonus scale, you'll miss out on the CCN/NYC biglaw prestige points, and you'll have a shallower pool of exit options (for instance, you could probably lateral from Paul Weiss NYC to the top local Conn firms, but a lateral the other way is pretty unlikely). Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Where is the best places for me to get a list of firms to send these 1000 emails to? NALP directory, martindale?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:27 pm

With your credentials, you shouldn't have any issues with landing a "big law" opportunity in either CT or Boston through OCI. NYC is a very different story though. The NYC OCI roundup is a pathetic joke, and our school just hasn't been placing well there recently.

Focus on perfecting your interview skills and all should be fine. Last year at UConn, the top 20ish people in the class were pretty well taken care of. Pro tip: Be wary of some of the local "mid-law" OCI participants. Pullman & Comley and Carmody & Torrance, for example, have been pretty horrible about no-offering summers the last year or two. You can get the necessary dirt from upperclass students.

Aside from OCI, you should absolutely mass-mail like hell. You might nab a few more options that way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where is the best places for me to get a list of firms to send these 1000 emails to? NALP directory, martindale?

I did Nalp first, and then cross-checked later with things like martindale or word of mouth. Usually I had already sent an application through my first round of Nalp mass mailings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To be honest I am not set on working in NYC or Boston. I would be happy working at a firm like Day Pitney, Murtha, etc. I jut figured given how I did it would be worth it to mass mail firms in surrounding major cities. Do you have any suggestions of firms in Boston etc to target?

So I think 10ish people landed Boston jobs last year. To the best of my knowledge, those were almost exclusively secured through OCI or a specialized job fair. But, again, the philosophy here is that mass-mailing won't hurt.

First, use NALP to come up with a target list of firms. Then visit those firms' websites and see if any UConn alum work there. Send one alum a nice short email expressing your interest in their firm, as well as your eagerness to practice in Boston. (Mention a specific practice group and/or ties, if you have them.) Ask if they would be willing to schedule a quick phone call with you, or otherwise tell you a little about their personal experience at said firm. Be sure to attach your resume. Profit. (Fingers crossed.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Be sure to attach your resume.

I have a spread sheet of UConn alumni at all major law firms in NYC and Boston that I am working on. I planned on treating it like an informational interview and just talking about whatever and then when it came time to mass mail mention speaking to partner so and so in the cover letter. Should I attach my resume in the original email or is that too forward?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I have a spread sheet of UConn alumni at all major law firms in NYC and Boston that I am working on. I planned on treating it like an informational interview and just talking about whatever and then when it came time to mass mail mention speaking to partner so and so in the cover letter. Should I attach my resume in the original email or is that too forward?

It sounds like you have this well under control! IMHO, attaching the resume will somewhat increase your chances of getting a response. If the recipient knows you're a serious candidate (6th in class, LR, etc.), they might actually make the effort to follow up. In contrast, if your qualifications are a total mystery -- as far as the recipient knows, you could be an idealistic yahoo in the bottom quintile who would be wasting their time. Also, attaching your resume has the benefit of enabling the recipient to directly forward it to recruiting with a personal affirmation. (That is, if the informational interview goes well.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It sounds like you have this well under control! IMHO, attaching the resume will somewhat increase your chances of getting a response. If the recipient knows you're a serious candidate (6th in class, LR, etc.), they might actually make the effort to follow up. In contrast, if your qualifications are a total mystery -- as far as the recipient knows, you could be an idealistic yahoo in the bottom quintile who would be wasting their time. Also, attaching your resume has the benefit of enabling the recipient to directly forward it to recruiting with a personal affirmation. (That is, if the informational interview goes well.)

I completely agree with this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Everyone on here has been so helpful. Thank you all for taking the time to offer your advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”