Firms that focus less on GPA (CA)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firms that focus less on GPA (CA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:14 am

Most of my 1L grades are crappy. Like C's and B's crappy. With a couple of exceptions, notably an A+ in Legal Writing. And I currently am externing with a Federal Judge, which at least looks good for resume purposes and I am loving the experience.

With OCI starting, I have extremely low expectations.

All that being said, does know of firms that are a little more lenient with GPA?

Suggestions/ personal experiences with firms that will consider low gpa students?

I am in So Cal, but will go wherever I need to.

Anonymous User

Re: Firms that focus less on GPA (CA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Most of my 1L grades are crappy. Like C's and B's crappy. With a couple of exceptions, notably an A+ in Legal Writing. And I currently am externing with a Federal Judge, which at least looks good for resume purposes and I am loving the experience.

With OCI starting, I have extremely low expectations.

All that being said, does know of firms that are a little more lenient with GPA?

Suggestions/ personal experiences with firms that will consider low gpa students?

I am in So Cal, but will go wherever I need to.

Not enough info. How low? Like an actual GPA. And what school (you're already anon so no reason not to say)? Big difference between Cal and Hastings or Golden Gate or something.

In before someone explains that his grades preclude him from going to Cal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:17 am

2.8 Loyola.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:2.8 Loyola.

fuck, hate to say it but you probably don't have a chance at any biglaw firm. your best bet might be some smaller firms (which aren't all that easy to get).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:2.8 Loyola.

Chances are nil

I would drop out depending on your debt

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 am

I got shut out of CA with a 3.05 from CCN and strong work experience in CA before law school. Shit's rough.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Rough? Isn't that like bottom of the barrel at CCN? Granted, the legal market is not in great shape and you go to a good law school, but you bid on a tough market with bad grades.

OP. Talk to your career services and tap into any connections you have. Obtaining a firm job through OCI or resume drops does not look promising. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 am

I actually have no problem pursuing small and medium firms.

I was mostly asking if there were any larger firms that would be worth my time in applying to... if there had been anyone who personally got an interview with a big firm with less-than stellar grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I actually have no problem pursuing small and medium firms.

I was mostly asking if there were any larger firms that would be worth my time in applying to... if there had been anyone who personally got an interview with a big firm with less-than stellar grades.

I doubt there is anyone here who got California big law with a/or the equivalent of a 2.8 from Loyola. But mass mailing doesn't take that long so go for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 am

Some of the big insurance defense mills aren't very grande-counscious. I knew a dude that worked for Wilson Elser with utter shit grades. You'll probably be at a small personal injury firm, which might be awesome and might be terrible depending on the type of people that work there.

Return to “Legal Employment”