NYU median EIW Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU median EIW

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:38 pm

mid-3.2 at NYU (slight above or below, depending on who you ask). Couple years okay WE. Not too diverse. Good UG. From NY.

Looking primarily to do Corporate work. Want NYC.

If I bid primarily New York, I am guessing I should not bother with any of the super selective firms. How about the ones with low 3.4~ offer average GPAs? Magic Circle firms?

Appreciate feedback from NYU students who went through this, recruiters, or other T6 experiences at median.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: NYU median EIW

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 pm

3L at NYU. With median grades, you'll be fine in NY. Make sure to have a career counselor review your bid list before submitting it. Spend your early bids conservatively, but your grades are good enough to go for some reaches a little further down the bid list. Seek out brutally honest feedback from mock interviews.

OCI is a pretty stressful experience, but based on your grades alone you should come out of it in very good shape.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Median at NYU will almost certainly get you a big firm position in NY. Just cover all your bases. Contact some alums this summer, make some connections, etc. Also, get in touch with firms you don't get via the lottery. I got a number of additional interviews this way. But you will very likely be just fine with median grades at NYU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L at NYU. With median grades, you'll be fine in NY. Make sure to have a career counselor review your bid list before submitting it. Spend your early bids conservatively, but your grades are good enough to go for some reaches a little further down the bid list. Seek out brutally honest feedback from mock interviews.

OCI is a pretty stressful experience, but based on your grades alone you should come out of it in very good shape.
So would it be worth interviewing at places like Skadden, where they are super elite, but known to have laxer GPA requirements (although they have upped it recently based on this reputation). Or should I focus my reaches to like Kirkland instead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 am

I have a friend who works in recruiting at a Skadden office, and they told me a 3.3 is basically a necessity in order to be considered. And with a 3.3, you should be able to offer other things they value, like 2+ years relevant work experience, diverse background, awesome personality fit, etc. So you should bid if you think you have something extra to offer them, but wouldn't necessarily if you're an average joe with median grades. If you really wanted to throw a reach or two into your bid list, however, Skadden's probably the firm to pick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 am

I wouldn't bid on Skadden just because you have to bid them at the very top of your list to get an interview, and those slots are better spent on the mid-Vault firms, where interview slots also fill up very fast and where you have a strong chance of an offer.

I'd just toss Davis, Simpson, Cleary, etc. at the very bottom of your bid list and see if you land an interview or two with them. People who bid them at the very bottom do get interviews just because they have so many slots but are out of realistic range for a large portion of the class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't bid on Skadden just because you have to bid them at the very top of your list to get an interview, and those slots are better spent on the mid-Vault firms, where interview slots also fill up very fast and where you have a strong chance of an offer.

I'd just toss Davis, Simpson, Cleary, etc. at the very bottom of your bid list and see if you land an interview or two with them. People who bid them at the very bottom do get interviews just because they have so many slots but are out of realistic range for a large portion of the class.
which firms are you referencing in this category?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: mid-Vault firms, where interview slots also fill up very fast and where you have a strong chance of an offer.
bump?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: mid-Vault firms, where interview slots also fill up very fast and where you have a strong chance of an offer.
bump?
also interested in this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:22 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bump?
also interested in this
Fullbright & Jaworski, Mayer Brown, Proskauer Rose, Willkie, Orrick, King & Spalding, Paul Hastings and Milbank come to mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:30 pm

^^^

Yeah, those are def the ones that need to be bid high. The elite tier firms, there is no reason to bid too high since they have a bunch of slots, and many of the bottom half of the class won't bid them. But the mid-tier Vault firms fill up very quick. For example, I bid Paul Hastings in my top 3 or 4, and I didn't get it, which was surprising.

Just an FYI, but make connections and network outside of OCI channels. Also, for any firm you don't get through the lottery, get in touch with them, express your interest, etc. The beauty of lottery is that no firm screens you out. Drop off resumes at hospitality suites, get business cards, stay in touch with people, etc. Also, reach out to partner alums at firms you are interested in. I did this, and ended up with direct callbacks (with no screener) at like 5 or 6 places.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”