Could applying to another firm ruin my chances at an offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stephencolbert

Could applying to another firm ruin my chances at an offer?

Postby stephencolbert » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Rising 3L. I'm working at a boutique firm in a secondary market this summer. Permanent employment seems to be a legit possibility, which would be great. But I'd also like to apply to one particular big firm in a major market. My main boss at the boutique speaks frequently with lawyers from that firm because they work on similar cases.

If I apply to the big firm, how likely is it that my boss will hear about it from their attorneys? I think my current work experience at the boutique would make my app strong. But I don't want to piss off my current boss and ruin a shot at getting an offer from him.

Agent

Re: Could applying to another firm ruin my chances at an offer?

Postby Agent » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 am

Without more info, I'm inclined to recommend that you focus on your work product and networking.

stephencolbert wrote:Rising 3L. I'm working at a boutique firm in a secondary market this summer. Permanent employment seems to be a legit possibility, which would be great. But I'd also like to apply to one particular big firm in a major market. My main boss at the boutique speaks frequently with lawyers from that firm because they work on similar cases.

If I apply to the big firm, how likely is it that my boss will hear about it from their attorneys? I think my current work experience at the boutique would make my app strong. But I don't want to piss off my current boss and ruin a shot at getting an offer from him.

Return to “Legal Employment”