Top 15%, then I bombed second semester

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 15%, then I bombed second semester

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey guys...

I did great first semester. I didn't change anything for second semester but because of other things, like write-on, applying to jobs, etc, I guess I put less time into my classes, I don't know.. I was really shocked but I got a C+ and my grades are overall much lower.

My second semester grades are:

B+,
A-,
B-,
C+,
B

I'm at least happy that I made an A in Legal Writing both semesters and that my low grades isn't a pattern - the C definitely stands out and seems like an abberation..Professor is out of country and will be able to pick up our exams soon so I don't know what happened.

I'm working in-house this summer and it's been great (they really seem to like me) but I've lost hope on next summer employment, I was hoping to work at a firm. My cumulative GPA went from a 3.5, to a 3.1 which puts me in the bottom of the class. I even applied to transfer to Georgetown but laughing at myself now because that's not going to happen. My school is lower T1. Advice please? Do I have any hope? Anyone with similar stories? :(

stillwater

Re: Top 15%, then I bombed second semester

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys...

I did great first semester. I didn't change anything for second semester but because of other things, like write-on, applying to jobs, etc, I guess I put less time into my classes, I don't know.. I was really shocked but I got a C+ and my grades are overall much lower.

B+,
A-,
B-,
C+,
B

I'm at least happy that I made an A in Legal Writing both semesters and that my low grades isn't a pattern - the C definitely stands out and seems like an abberation..Professor is out of country and will be able to pick up our exams soon so I don't know what happened.

I'm working in-house this summer and it's been great (they really seem to like me) but I've lost hope on next summer employment, I was hoping to work at a firm. My cumulative GPA went from a 3.5, to a 3.1 which puts me in the bottom of the class. I even applied to transfer to Georgetown but laughing at myself now because that's not going to happen. My school is lower T1. Advice please? Do I have any hope? Anyone with similar stories? :(

what are your goals?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:48 pm

stillwater wrote:

B+,
A-,
B-,
C+,
B

what are your goals?

Well...What the hell is your rank now? My advice is to get to the top 1/3 rd. Apply everywhere and don't look back.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:51 pm

sparty99 wrote:
stillwater wrote:

B+,
A-,
B-,
C+,
B

what are your goals?

Well...What the hell is your rank now? My advice is to get to the top 1/3 rd. Apply everywhere and don't look back.

huh. how does OP get to the top 1/3 in time for 2nd summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Rankings aren't out yet but based on past years, I will be below median for sure.

My goals? I just want to get a paid job at this point for 2L summer. I have a lot of different interests and I am loving the in-house work I'm doing but it's rare for them to hire law school grads and they prefer firm experience before they permanently hire.... firm experience that I'm unlikely to have :(

They've also set us up with to be included on a few firm events just for summer associates to help us network, but I feel so unmotivated because I know I'll never meet the GPA requirements for a large firm. I really don't know what to do.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:00 pm

stillwater wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
stillwater wrote:

B+,
A-,
B-,
C+,
B

what are your goals?

huh. how does OP get to the top 1/3 in time for 2nd summer?

Well, he has one more semester for grade improvement for all the jobs that come through January to April 2014. Then after that, he has many other semesters to graduate in the top 1/3 rd. As far as as the jobs in August, well, what the hell is he going to do? Apply anywhere. Have your current organization offer you a job to return next summer (if it is paid). If it aint paid, well the lawyers you work with once worked at firms. HAVE THEM PLACE PHONE CALLS TO THEIR FORMER COWORKERS or the outside lawyers that they use. I mean, do you have any hope? Hope to work for a firm? Unlikely. But I was below median and got firm interviews. You need to look at government. As long as you hinge all your dreams and hopes on big law, you will be making a mistake. If you apply everywhere, you are putting yourself in the best situation. There is nothing that you can do now besides increasing your grades, making contacts, and applying every where.

Return to “Legal Employment”