Native American Status and Employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Native American Status and Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi. Here's a little background:

-Graduated from a top 25 law school with slightly above-median grades
-Great Great Grandmother was a Cherokee Indian. I didn't use that to get into college/law school because 1) I wasn't sure if I hit the cut-off, and 2) I never went through any of the verification process because we don't have any of her records

I'm now struggling to find a job. My questions: Can i use my native american heritage in connection with my job hunt? If so, how?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22888
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm

There are agencies in the federal government that have an Indian hiring preference (like the Bureau of Indian affairs). However, those agencies (and anywhere that would officially give you a boost) are also going to require official enrollment. (Cherokee can especially tricky since you have to trace your ancestry to someone listed on the Dawes Roll).

Indian ancestry is also helpful for getting jobs in Indian law, but that's in part because it generally goes along with being connected to a Native community and understanding of the culture. Which, honestly, it doesn't sound like you are. Do you have any interest in/experience with anything to do with Native Americans, or are you just looking for a way to get a job? Generally you can't really pop up and say, "Hi! My great-great-grandma was Indian!" and expect anyone to care if you're not enrolled and don't have any other connection to that culture/community.

(If you do, I apologize, but your post really comes across that you don't.)

User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby Nightrunner » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

Also, you'd be a disingenuous ass who is cool with essentially committing ethnic fraud.*

* - that sentence is totally just my own opinion, but I bet I can defend it if you want me to.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby lolwat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm

...

Really? :|

Seriously though, I mean, I'm all for getting whatever advantage you can for employment, since it's such shit out there... but I bet this will hurt you more than it helps. No, no one gives a shit what your great great grandmother was, unless you actually have some connection to that...

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:48 pm

I think a great-great-grandparent is going to be a little distant for most people to take seriously. Think about the purpose behind these initiatives - do you honestly think you'd be adding any diversity in a meaningful sense?

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:40 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. Here's a little background:

-Graduated from a top 25 law school with slightly above-median grades
-Great Great Grandmother was a Cherokee Indian. I didn't use that to get into college/law school because 1) I wasn't sure if I hit the cut-off, and 2) I never went through any of the verification process because we don't have any of her records

I'm now struggling to find a job. My questions: Can i use my native american heritage in connection with my job hunt? If so, how?


Do you find the name of Washington's DC's NFL team offensive?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi. Here's a little background:

-Graduated from a top 25 law school with slightly above-median grades
-Great Great Grandmother was a Cherokee Indian. I didn't use that to get into college/law school because 1) I wasn't sure if I hit the cut-off, and 2) I never went through any of the verification process because we don't have any of her records

I'm now struggling to find a job. My questions: Can i use my native american heritage in connection with my job hunt? If so, how?


Do you find the name of Washington's DC's NFL team offensive?


I actually find it charming.

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby Citizen Genet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Nightrunner wrote: an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.


What is HLS hiring Elizabeth Warren?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:23 pm

IBTL

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

Also, you'd be a disingenuous ass who is cool with essentially committing ethnic fraud.*

* - that sentence is totally just my own opinion, but I bet I can defend it if you want me to.


OP is more Indian than Elizabeth Warren. Was she committing ethnic fraud when she used that?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

Also, you'd be a disingenuous ass who is cool with essentially committing ethnic fraud.*

* - that sentence is totally just my own opinion, but I bet I can defend it if you want me to.


OP is more Indian than Elizabeth Warren. Was she committing ethnic fraud when she used that?


yea, shes a crook.

User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Postby Nightrunner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

Also, you'd be a disingenuous ass who is cool with essentially committing ethnic fraud.*

* - that sentence is totally just my own opinion, but I bet I can defend it if you want me to.


OP is just as Indian as Elizabeth Warren. Was she committing ethnic fraud when she used that?

I fixed that.

And the answer is yes.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.