GULC Median(?) OCI help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC Median(?) OCI help

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 pm

OK, the board is full of these kinds of threads, but I couldn't find these specific answers searching, so thank you in advance for answering.

1. I just got all my second semester grades and I'm at 3.3x. I assume this to more or less exactly median based on the top 1/3rd numbers I've seen but does anyone know for sure what the median is at GULC? Does the exact over/under really matter or is "median" a ballpark term for OCI purposes?

2. How screwed am I? Is OCI likely to yield anything? I know how ridiculous and broad a question this is, anecdotes welcome, not asking you to make me feel better.

3. I have something of an aversion to working in NYC where I understand it's easiest to get something in roughly my situation. That said a job is a job and unemployment is unemployment. Would I be completely shooting myself in the foot by not bidding there?

Personal info: Not biglaw or bust, but definitely up for it and interested in a 2L summer even if I do something else. Geographic pref: Chicago (home, strong ties) > DC (school/family, some ties) >> elsewhere in midwest > anywhere else >>> NYC. 1 year unrelated (journalism) WE.

xcountryjunkie

Re: GULC Median(?) OCI help

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OK, the board is full of these kinds of threads, but I couldn't find these specific answers searching, so thank you in advance for answering.

1. I just got all my second semester grades and I'm at 3.3x. I assume this to more or less exactly median based on the top 1/3rd numbers I've seen but does anyone know for sure what the median is at GULC? Does the exact over/under really matter or is "median" a ballpark term for OCI purposes?

2. How screwed am I? Is OCI likely to yield anything? I know how ridiculous and broad a question this is, anecdotes welcome, not asking you to make me feel better.

3. I have something of an aversion to working in NYC where I understand it's easiest to get something in roughly my situation. That said a job is a job and unemployment is unemployment. Would I be completely shooting myself in the foot by not bidding there?

Personal info: Not biglaw or bust, but definitely up for it and interested in a 2L summer even if I do something else. Geographic pref: Chicago (home, strong ties) > DC (school/family, some ties) >> elsewhere in midwest > anywhere else >>> NYC. 1 year unrelated (journalism) WE.

Bid Chicago and NYC. Other midwest cities have summer classes that are too small to make it worth the bid. Mass mail them instead. DC is tough given its popularity and your median GPA. NYC is your best bet, but obviously you don't want to be there. Nonetheless, I'd bid it as a back-up.

Robespierre

Re: GULC Median(?) OCI help

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm

First-year median is right about 3.30.

You're not "screwed." 39% of the most recent graduating class got biglaw (100+). That's probably about 50-60% of those who WANTED biglaw. So a median student is right on the bubble and you shouldn't give up on EIW. Bid smart, work on your interviewing skills, and hope to get lucky.

Bidding smart would not include using all your bids on DC, which is very selective and not particularly booming right now. If you hate NYC, fine; don't go where you'd be unhappy. Maybe concentrate on Chi and secondary markets with a few DCs? Tough call.

Return to “Legal Employment”