GULC ~Top 15% - How heavily to bid DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC ~Top 15% - How heavily to bid DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 pm

I just got all my 1L grades back and ended up at a 3.65 for the year. Georgetown won't release grade/honors cut-offs for each section until later this month, but going off last year's data, I would be in the top 15% for 4/6 sections.

I really want DC Big Law, and my ties are predominately here having grown up in the area. At the same time, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot as the end-all, be-all goal is just Big Law period. Other than DC, I am only looking to NYC, and do have some ties/family there. Per TLS wisdom, how heavily should I be bidding DC to keep myself safe for big law? Appreciate any responses, thanks in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zindras

Re: GULC ~Top 15% - How heavily to bid DC?

Postby Zindras » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 pm

OP, I had very similar stats and background and did fine in DC - PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Similar situation here. 3.68 at GULC and DC is my preference. I'm interested in any advice you have, as well.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Your GPA is high enough to land a DC firm if you get an interview, but that is obviously contingent on getting an interview. Since GULC uses a lottery system, your GPA won't help you with that. I just graduated this year from GULC, so my OCI was two years ago. DC is risky to bid heavily on since it is so popular with GULC students. I have friends who bid exclusively DC and ended up with only 5-6 interviews. My friends who bid exclusively NY got as many as 25 interviews. Feel free to mix DC and NY, but don't go exclusively DC or the lottery could hurt you. Look carefully at the number of interview slots and bids last year for those firms and rank accordingly. The super popular DC firms (~5-10% of bids getting interviews) are only worth slotting in the 1-3 range. After that it's just a waste of a bid. Choose less popular firms as you move down your bid list so that you have a higher shot of getting interviews.

Also, mass mail all DC firms you don't get an interview with through the lottery. With your GPA you may get put on some of the "secret OCI schedules" that firms do in addition to their lottery interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:15 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Your GPA is high enough to land a DC firm if you get an interview, but that is obviously contingent on getting an interview. Since GULC uses a lottery system, your GPA won't help you with that. I just graduated this year from GULC, so my OCI was two years ago. DC is risky to bid heavily on since it is so popular with GULC students. I have friends who bid exclusively DC and ended up with only 5-6 interviews. My friends who bid exclusively NY got as many as 25 interviews. Feel free to mix DC and NY, but don't go exclusively DC or the lottery could hurt you. Look carefully at the number of interview slots and bids last year for those firms and rank accordingly. The super popular DC firms (~5-10% of bids getting interviews) are only worth slotting in the 1-3 range. After that it's just a waste of a bid. Choose less popular firms as you move down your bid list so that you have a higher shot of getting interviews.

Also, mass mail all DC firms you don't get an interview with through the lottery. With your GPA you may get put on some of the "secret OCI schedules" that firms do in addition to their lottery interviews.

When you say "mass mail," do you mean snail mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Your GPA is high enough to land a DC firm if you get an interview, but that is obviously contingent on getting an interview. Since GULC uses a lottery system, your GPA won't help you with that. I just graduated this year from GULC, so my OCI was two years ago. DC is risky to bid heavily on since it is so popular with GULC students. I have friends who bid exclusively DC and ended up with only 5-6 interviews. My friends who bid exclusively NY got as many as 25 interviews. Feel free to mix DC and NY, but don't go exclusively DC or the lottery could hurt you. Look carefully at the number of interview slots and bids last year for those firms and rank accordingly. The super popular DC firms (~5-10% of bids getting interviews) are only worth slotting in the 1-3 range. After that it's just a waste of a bid. Choose less popular firms as you move down your bid list so that you have a higher shot of getting interviews.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. Oh, and the lottery system is bullshit.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 am

You should be competitive for most DC firms out of GULC with that GPA. It's just, like everyone said, a matter of getting the interviews. I did EIW a couple of years ago now, and mixed between NY and DC. I then emailed (don't snail mail, no reason to) the ones I did not get through the lottery, and added about 5-6 more interviews at least that way. And remember, your top 20 choices get your resume anyway. (And I suspect more do, but OCS just won't admit it.)

Lottery system may be a bit bullshit, but it's a) pretty standard across the T14 and b) just look at the UVA thread each year with its hybrid system --- it creates massive collective freakouts for anyone out of the Top 15 or so there. So it could be worse.

Zindras

Postby Zindras » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:10 am

Also, take advantage of the open sign up period -- I got 4 additional screening interviews (3 DC, 1 NYC) through that.

PM me if you want a list of firms that contacted me simply because they were in my top 20, or responded to mass mailing.

Return to “Legal Employment”