ACLU vs DOJ externship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
S7235

ACLU vs DOJ externship

Postby S7235 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 pm

I am a rising 3L and am interested in practicing in New York (although I go to law school on the west coast). I have gotten offers for Fall externships in New York from:

1) Supplemental Needs Trusts within the New York State Office of Investigations - Legal Intern
2) ACLU Women's Rights Project - Legal Intern
3) Department of Justice, Anti-Trust Division - Legal Intern

All three are great, and the only reason I got them is because I have a VERY strong resume with so much internship/externship experience in the past that it made me a great candidate. I have a LOW G.P.A , and I feel lucky I even got these offers.

My major concern is getting a job after graduation. I know that the Supplemental Needs Trust hires new grads but I am not sure that is where I want to be working post graduation. I want to take the externship that will market me the best for future jobs.

HELP!!!

mr.hands

Re: ACLU vs DOJ externship

Postby mr.hands » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 pm

S7235 wrote:I am a rising 3L and am interested in practicing in New York (although I go to law school on the west coast). I have gotten offers for Fall externships in New York from:

1) Supplemental Needs Trusts within the New York State Office of Investigations - Legal Intern

All three are great, and the only reason I got them is because I have a VERY strong resume with so much internship/externship experience in the past that it made me a great candidate. I have a LOW G.P.A , and I feel lucky I even got these offers.

My major concern is getting a job after graduation. I know that the Supplemental Needs Trust hires new grads but I am not sure that is where I want to be working post graduation. I want to take the externship that will market me the best for future jobs.

HELP!!!

If post-grad employment is your goal, stay away from the DOJ. They only hire through SLIP and, judging by your GPA, you won't get that.

The DOJ job wont get you any better experience than the Supplemental Needs Trust or the ACLU. Since those have better long-term prospects, take one of those. That's just my thinking, though

S7235

Postby S7235 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks! Even if I don't get post grad employment with any of these positions, which would be more marketable for me as an applicant to a firm. I haven't really decided what area of practice I'm going into, I kind of want to take the first job I get but I want to set myself apart based on my résumé and experiences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 pm

S7235 wrote:I am a rising 3L and am interested in practicing in New York (although I go to law school on the west coast). I have gotten offers for Fall externships in New York from:

HELP!!!

My understanding is that it is extremely rare for the ACLU to hire a staff attorney straight out of law school. I interned in an office in PA as an undergrad, and their staff attorneys all had several years experience outside before getting hired with the ACLU.

From a pure "get a jerb" standpoint, the Supp Needs Trusts sounds like your best bet.

It won't hurt to ask your CSO if the ACLU ever hires their interns. And if you won't take them if there's no job, you might as well ask the ACLU folks for a candid assessment. They're likely to tell you what I did, and if they are anything like the (wonderful) people I worked with, they will understand that people need jobs and won't feel bad if you turn down their offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”