HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:24 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:Out of curiosity.. is there a particular reason those looking for V20s are doing so? Or is it just for the fact that they are V20?

I think the typical arguments for going to more prestigious firms (generally -- not just based upon vault) are that they 1) tend to get more interesting work; and 2) potentially provide better exit options.

For me, I just bid on the firms that I thought would give me the best chance of landing a job (based upon prior EIP data), and some of them happened to be v20. I'm not sure I have any preference for any firm right now, I was just noting a pattern that I saw from my own interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:33 pm

seems to me people with 1H often have many callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 pm

has anyone heard from ...

fs covington dc
aj/tp morgan lewis dc
bw kirkland dc
kr/cd jones day dc
ss mofo dc

also has anyone received rejections from any of these?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:seems to me people with 1H often have many callbacks?

All 1Hs are not created equal. Last year I had a friend who had straight Ps and had a ton of CBs including a V5 CB and offer. They also were a URM, great interviewer and had a ton of relevant work experience. Another friend had 2 Hs and only had a few Cbs and ended up with no offers. They were a self-described bad interviewer and was K-JD. A CB is determined more than you think on the complete applicant profile and interview rather than just grades (except for a few grade-selective firms).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:Out of curiosity.. is there a particular reason those looking for V20s are doing so? Or is it just for the fact that they are V20?

I think the typical arguments for going to more prestigious firms (generally -- not just based upon vault) are that they 1) tend to get more interesting work; and 2) potentially provide better exit options.

For me, I just bid on the firms that I thought would give me the best chance of landing a job (based upon prior EIP data), and some of them happened to be v20. I'm not sure I have any preference for any firm right now, I was just noting a pattern that I saw from my own interviews.

Same, I picked firms that have the practice area I'm interested in, some of those happened to be v20 but a lot werent so its all shakey for me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:55 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

All 1Hs are not created equal. Last year I had a friend who had straight Ps and had a ton of CBs including a V5 CB and offer. They also were a URM, great interviewer and had a ton of relevant work experience. Another friend had 2 Hs and only had a few Cbs and ended up with no offers. They were a self-described bad interviewer and was K-JD. A CB is determined more than you think on the complete applicant profile and interview rather than just grades (except for a few grade-selective firms).

What number is considered 'a ton'?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure the work is going to be necessarily "more interesting" - this really depends on what you're interested in. Possibly there is an argument that V20 has more opportunities to work on more publicized or higher-stakes work, but not more interesting (at least depending on how you define "interesting").

For me I care entirely because of the better exit opportunity. I don't know if I want to work at a firm my whole life, or a specific firm that I have had a single twenty minute interview with and a half day at the office - but I do know that the higher ranked they are the better chance I have of moving on somewhere else that I will enjoy, whether private or public.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

This.

Unless you have all three of these I would still stick with my original statement: DOA for most V20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard from ...

fs covington dc
aj/tp morgan lewis dc
bw kirkland dc
kr/cd jones day dc
ss mofo dc

also has anyone received rejections from any of these?

I have a Cov DC ding email, though not FS.
Allegedly (according to this thread), at least some Kirkland DC CBs have been offered, unsure what interviewers. I've heard nothing, had different interviewers.
Allegedly (according to this thread), at least some Jones Day DC CBs have been offered, unsure what interviewers. I've heard nothing, had those interviewers.
MoFo DC SS has offered CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard from ...
bw kirkland dc

Yes. Friday CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Has anyone heard from Simpson (LL) or S&C (JM)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:32 pm

I'll second the above post. I know someone whose a URM, great interviewer, relevant experience with 2H's, rest P's. 1 V5 CB, and another V10 CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Call back logistics question: I have interviews Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Saturday in Chicago. I'm flying in Monday morning. I would rather just stay in Chicago until my Saturday interview, and staying in Chicago would likely be overall cheaper than flying back and forth between Chicago and Boston again. (My Saturday interview is in the morning so regardless I'll have to be in Chicago Friday night.)

My host firm (Tuesday interview) doesn't appear to have any reimbursement policy guide on their website (it's a smaller firm). Who should I be asking about this? My Saturday firm or the Tuesday host firm?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I know more than ten, I'd have guessed about 15. I know they cancelled like 4-5 and still did a full two weeks of Cbs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Call back logistics question: I have interviews Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Saturday in Chicago. I'm flying in Monday morning. I would rather just stay in Chicago until my Saturday interview, and staying in Chicago would likely be overall cheaper than flying back and forth between Chicago and Boston again. (My Saturday interview is in the morning so regardless I'll have to be in Chicago Friday night.)

My host firm (Tuesday interview) doesn't appear to have any reimbursement policy guide on their website (it's a smaller firm). Who should I be asking about this? My Saturday firm or the Tuesday host firm?

somewhat related to this, does anyone know where we can find shearmans reimbursement policy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:59 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I know more than ten, I'd have guessed about 15. I know they cancelled like 4-5 and still did a full two weeks of Cbs.

Don't think I am the same URM unc0mm0n1 is talking about and I had one H and 20+ callbacks over 4 markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Don't think I am the same URM unc0mm0n1 is talking about and I had one H and 20+ callbacks over 4 markets.

How many of those 20 were v5s/v10s/v20s?

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Vault is fairly irrelevant outside of NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:19 pm

lameslice57 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also I think this year was tougher (purely anecdotal).

For example, a ton of people with 5+ Hs still haven't heard from SullCrom (and the conventional wisdom is they only screened for grades)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:21 pm

lameslice57 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was inquiring about the NYC callbacks, if any.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wasn't focusing on NYC so kind of a silly way to look at it but 1 v5 and 1 v10. Of the rest, 3 were outside the v20 but considered among the top 2 in their given market. All paid whatever their given market rate is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also I think this year was tougher (purely anecdotal).

For example, a ton of people with 5+ Hs still haven't heard from SullCrom (and the conventional wisdom is they only screened for grades)

I don't think this is a good indicator. Sullcrom calls back about 50 people and there are definitely more than 50 people with 5+ Hs that apply so there will be a good chunk of people with great grades that don't hear back every year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Anyone else with 1 LP and straight Ps? Only 1 CB and seriously freaking out. I also have nothing special on my resume in terms of softs. I think I may be a case where my grades really did shut me out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else with 1 LP and straight Ps? Only 1 CB and seriously freaking out. I also have nothing special on my resume in terms of softs. I think I may be a case where my grades really did shut me out.

Rising 3L here. Yes, 1LP and straight Ps is an almost certain recipe to strike out unless you have amazing softs or connections. You need to be sending out cover letter & resume everywhere you can right. now. Your home market and NYC. I'm a huge advocate on here of "grades aren't important", there's an important caveat to that--unless you have an LP with straight Ps. I can't believe OCS didn't warn you to start looking outside of EIP before EIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else with 1 LP and straight Ps? Only 1 CB and seriously freaking out. I also have nothing special on my resume in terms of softs. I think I may be a case where my grades really did shut me out.

Rising 3L here. Yes, 1LP and straight Ps is an almost certain recipe to strike out unless you have amazing softs or connections. You need to be sending out cover letter & resume everywhere you can right. now. Your home market and NYC. I'm a huge advocate on here of "grades aren't important", there's an important caveat to that--unless you have an LP with straight Ps. I can't believe OCS didn't warn you to start looking outside of EIP before EIP.

They did warn me and I've done mass mailings already. I'm starting to think that I should also branch out and try to apply for non-law jobs as well? Big law was my goal coming to HLS, but the outlook is not great right now. Maybe if I pull up my grades this year I'll have better luck with EIP as a 3L, but not holding my breath.

Return to “Legal Employment”