HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:WilmerHale's travel reimbursement policy says they'll only cover one night in a hotel for every two firms interviewed with. This isn't normal, right? Does anyone know what happens if you CB with both WilmerHale and firms that cover full nights?

Use a different host firm if you can. Worth it to compare your CB firms' travel policies when choosing a host - most are better than the WH policy you describe

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:49 am

What are some big NY firms that people still haven't heard from or are widely expected to have more callbacks go out? I'm still waiting to hear from a couple from earlier in the week like Milbank, Covington (NY), etc.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:16 am

Why is it that I JUST noticed this thread? No NYC callbacks so far, and starting to get nervous...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 am

Anyone else have 1 LP and 0 Hs? So far only 1 CB with a V50 firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 am

Anyone hear from Ropes & Gray interviewer MC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are some big NY firms that people still haven't heard from or are widely expected to have more callbacks go out? I'm still waiting to hear from a couple from earlier in the week like Milbank, Covington (NY), etc.

At least some Covington NY ding emails went out yesterday

At least some Milbank cb emails already went out earlier this week, but not sure about dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 am

2 questions:

1) Does no dinner always = no callback? Specifically, what about Gibson Dunn, Freshfields, and OMM?

2) If there's no specific policy given, should we assume the per diem is $50-$60 for dinner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else have 1 LP and 0 Hs? So far only 1 CB with a V50 firm.

All P's and 1H - 8 callbacks with V20-50 (across two major markets)

Any V20 firm I interviewed with essentially dismissed me on arrival because of my grades - maybe it was the same if you had a low pass for V50? Did you speak with OCS before you bid on firms?

Also, I have yet to receive formal rejections from a lot of the other higher-ranked firms I interviewed with, whereas I know they have sent out rejections to others. If you are in the same situation, maybe we are just on the bottom of the pile waiting for the hiring committee to make a decision, or for our fellow peers to move on to greener pastures and open up spots for us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:WilmerHale's travel reimbursement policy says they'll only cover one night in a hotel for every two firms interviewed with. This isn't normal, right? Does anyone know what happens if you CB with both WilmerHale and firms that cover full nights?

Use a different host firm if you can. Worth it to compare your CB firms' travel policies when choosing a host - most are better than the WH policy you describe

I already booked with a different firm and got one night per firm. But if WH's policy is not to reimburse, would using a different firm as the host mean I still get stuck with half the bill for the night allocated to WH?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:2 questions:

1) Does no dinner always = no callback? Specifically, what about Gibson Dunn, Freshfields, and OMM?

2) If there's no specific policy given, should we assume the per diem is $50-$60 for dinner?

Yikes. Where are you interviewing without the specific policy? Each one I have read so far has been ~$35 for dinner. I would be extremely cautious of overspending.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

When a firm requests an official transcript sent before the callback, do they mean a scan of the official transcript? Or do they want the official transcript sent to the office? Or is a Helios print-out fine at this stage?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

Not necessarily. I asked a couple 3Ls about this and was told that CBs still happen for people not invited to dinner - just means they weren't as sure about you on the immediate day of the interview (I know this is true at least of GDC / was true last year).

Anonymous User wrote:2) If there's no specific policy given, should we assume the per diem is $50-$60 for dinner?

I've got a followup to this question in case anyone knows: if you have a stated nightly dinner tab of $50, is there anything stopping you from taking a friend out and instead getting two $25 dinners on the firm? I know the firm requires the dinner receipt, but I'm just wondering whether they'll be anal about checking the receipt for whether there were two meals ordered instead of one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Not necessarily. I asked a couple 3Ls about this and was told that CBs still happen for people not invited to dinner - just means they weren't as sure about you on the immediate day of the interview (I know this is true at least of GDC / was true last year).

Anonymous User wrote:2) If there's no specific policy given, should we assume the per diem is $50-$60 for dinner?

I've got a followup to this question in case anyone knows: if you have a stated nightly dinner tab of $50, is there anything stopping you from taking a friend out and instead getting two $25 dinners on the firm? I know the firm requires the dinner receipt, but I'm just wondering whether they'll be anal about checking the receipt for whether there were two meals ordered instead of one.

When you get the credit card thing back (the thing you sign), it's usually not itemized. So no, there's nothing stopping you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yikes. Where are you interviewing without the specific policy? Each one I have read so far has been ~$35 for dinner. I would be extremely cautious of overspending.

I'm being hosted by DPW, interviewing at other V20s (think Skadden, Weil, etc.)

Older friends have told me $50 is the low-average, and that some places do 60-70?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm being hosted by DPW, interviewing at other V20s (think Skadden, Weil, etc.)

Older friends have told me $50 is the low-average, and that some places do 60-70?

Personally, I know that K&E offers $25 each for breakfast and lunch, and $50 for dinner, and that that policy was the best out of several I had (a few offered $35 dinners as mentioned above).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:42 am

Freshfields had a dinner? Can someone confirm this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else have 1 LP and 0 Hs? So far only 1 CB with a V50 firm.

Any V20 firm I interviewed with essentially dismissed me on arrival because of my grades - maybe it was the same if you had a low pass for V50? Did you speak with OCS before you bid on firms?

Also, I have yet to receive formal rejections from a lot of the other higher-ranked firms I interviewed with, whereas I know they have sent out rejections to others. If you are in the same situation, maybe we are just on the bottom of the pile waiting for the hiring committee to make a decision, or for our fellow peers to move on to greener pastures and open up spots for us.

Yeah I'm interested about this as well. I have similar grades (8 P/1 DS/1 H), and have largely been shut out. I think it's partly bc I did a bunch of DC, though I did my best to balance it with a range of NYC firms (and managed to snag milbank/dechert) I also avoided the more selective DC firms, and OCS thought it was solid. Who knows, though ice only been formally rejected by about 1/4 of the places I interviewed with, I feel like it'd be smart for me to start sending my materials out as a few posters have suggested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 am

Anyone know what Paul Weiss's reimbursement policy is? All I can find is "reasonable" expenses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Freshfields had a dinner AND callbacks have been scheduled (I don't know if it's completely done, but my friend went to dinner and has a CB scheduled)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I do not think this is necessarily true. It may just mean that your interview (which also includes work experience) was not great enough to overcome your grades. There are people with 0-1 Hs that have many v20 callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Freshfields had a dinner AND callbacks have been scheduled (I don't know if it's completely done, but my friend went to dinner and has a CB scheduled)

well this makes me sad, if we haven't heard back at this point do we just assume dings?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:35 am

Last year I had two CBs from firms that had dinners that I wasn't invited to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any V20 firm I interviewed with essentially dismissed me on arrival because of my grades

I do not think this is necessarily true. It may just mean that your interview (which also includes work experience) was not great enough to overcome your grades. There are people with 0-1 Hs that have many v20 callbacks.

Really? Not OP, but I basically had the same experience. I have good work experience and had great interviews with a lot of the firms that rejected (or haven't yet gotten back to) me. I've gotten a lot of callbacks (close to batting .500), but there seems to be a pretty hard ceiling around the v20 mark for me. The only people I know who have "many" v20 callbacks with less-than-stellar grades either have connections at those firms, contribute to diversity, or both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any V20 firm I interviewed with essentially dismissed me on arrival because of my grades

Really? Not OP, but I basically had the same experience. I have good work experience and had great interviews with a lot of the firms that rejected (or haven't yet gotten back to) me. I've gotten a lot of callbacks (close to batting .500), but there seems to be a pretty hard ceiling around the v20 mark for me. The only people I know who have "many" v20 callbacks with less-than-stellar grades either have connections at those firms, contribute to diversity, or both.

My experience as well, 1H and 8Ps, and URM, have 1 V20 so far and a range on the V20-50 but just havent heard back from the other V20's I interviewed at. Hoping when the more prestigious kids move on those spots will open up for us :)

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Out of curiosity.. is there a particular reason those looking for V20s are doing so? Or is it just for the fact that they are V20?

Return to “Legal Employment”