HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Heard from Weil NY and Latham DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:07 pm

still silence from Gibson Dunn NY. Has anyone heard anything? My interviewers were BL and DV

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone get word from Freshfields? thx!

This!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Anyone only heard from a few firms either way? I had 22 interviews (only Chi) and have only heard from 3 (1 cb, 2 ding). Sounds like other Chi people have received cb's from several that I have not heard from, should I take this as an indication that I am going to be dinged at those firms? Could some of them be waiting to see who takes callbacks and then planning to consider offering more if people decline (maybe wishful thinking haha)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone only heard from a few firms either way? I had 22 interviews (only Chi) and have only heard from 3 (1 cb, 2 ding). Sounds like other Chi people have received cb's from several that I have not heard from, should I take this as an indication that I am going to be dinged at those firms? Could some of them be waiting to see who takes callbacks and then planning to consider offering more if people decline (maybe wishful thinking haha)?

If you go back to some of the other years' threads, you'll see plenty of examples where people heard nothing, nothing, nothing...and then got a CB. So, no, it doesn't mean you're a dead man walking. What it does mean, frankly, is that you're probably not their first choice, but you weren't DOA.

What I have no idea about (and trust me, I'm as anxious as you) is as to which way this is going to break. It seems like this year was a feast-or-famine situation where the top firms all tried to snap up the same people. Obviously they can't all have the same small pool of people, but how they react to that determines a lot for mortals like you and I.

Option I (lollipops and sunshine version): They wind up needing to turn to us to fill yield, the way the protagonist in a teen movie gets shot down by the hot chick only to discover that his childhood girl-next-door pal is wonderful and hot. In other words, we stress a lot but wind up getting more cbs than we initially thought and return next summer to roll around in piles of cash while posting neurotically about SA offer rates.

Option II (childhood dreams broken by sledgehammers and chainsaws): They wind up not getting everyone, but that's nbd because they'll just go with smaller summer class sizes anyway. You and I take $25k/yr jobs at personal injury firms and slowly succumb to alcoholism.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone only heard from a few firms either way? I had 22 interviews (only Chi) and have only heard from 3 (1 cb, 2 ding). Sounds like other Chi people have received cb's from several that I have not heard from, should I take this as an indication that I am going to be dinged at those firms? Could some of them be waiting to see who takes callbacks and then planning to consider offering more if people decline (maybe wishful thinking haha)?

If you go back to some of the other years' threads, you'll see plenty of examples where people heard nothing, nothing, nothing...and then got a CB. So, no, it doesn't mean you're a dead man walking. What it does mean, frankly, is that you're probably not their first choice, but you weren't DOA.

What I have no idea about (and trust me, I'm as anxious as you) is as to which way this is going to break. It seems like this year was a feast-or-famine situation where the top firms all tried to snap up the same people. Obviously they can't all have the same small pool of people, but how they react to that determines a lot for mortals like you and I.

Option I (lollipops and sunshine version): They wind up needing to turn to us to fill yield, the way the protagonist in a teen movie gets shot down by the hot chick only to discover that his childhood girl-next-door pal is wonderful and hot. In other words, we stress a lot but wind up getting more cbs than we initially thought and return next summer to roll around in piles of cash while posting neurotically about SA offer rates.

Option II (childhood dreams broken by sledgehammers and chainsaws): They wind up not getting everyone, but that's nbd because they'll just go with smaller summer class sizes anyway. You and I take $25k/yr jobs at personal injury firms and slowly succumb to alcoholism.

+1000

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from Weil NY and Latham DC

Latham DC interviewer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:still silence from Gibson Dunn NY. Has anyone heard anything? My interviewers were BL and DV

I got a call from them

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Some firms just don't send out any rejects until the end. There should still be some CBs going out early next week, particularly from firms that interviewed on Thursday and Friday. For firms that have a "hiring committee" that makes those decisions, they often meet on Thursday or Friday. If you did California, in particular, a handful will probably go out next week.

Your odds of this will track with how your performance was over the last week. If you got a handful this past week, it's likely you'll get more this upcoming week. If, however, you're panicking because you have only one or two CBs, I wouldn't bank on more coming in this next week, and would start thinking of a Plan B. Try contacting firms you didn't get screeners with saying something along the lines of I bid on you, didn't get a screener, but I'll be in your area from Aug X to Aug X, would you have time to meet with me. Do that this weekend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What does it mean that EIP this year was a feast-or-famine situation? Does it mean top applicants are getting 4-5 V5 CBs while most applicants are having a difficult time getting V5 callbacks? Or does it mean some applicants are getting over a dozen CBs while a lot of other applicants are getting less than three CBs with very few students getting a number in between?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard from Weil NY and Latham DC

Latham DC interviewer?

Not OP but I heard from NG.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What does it mean that EIP this year was a feast-or-famine situation? Does it mean top applicants are getting 4-5 V5 CBs while most applicants are having a difficult time getting V5 callbacks? Or does it mean some applicants are getting over a dozen CBs while a lot of other applicants are getting less than three CBs with very few students getting a number in between?

I think he/she was referring to the number of callbacks. The amount of V5 callbacks alone is not an indicator of how well EIP is going. There are many people that did not apply to any V5s and there are other firms more selective than some V5s. Vault is not everything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Some Weil NY CB's going on right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Sorry if I missed this - has anyone heard from Gibson Dunn in SF or LA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Anyone hear from any of:
Williams & Connolly
McDermott DC
Jones Day DC
Kirkland DC
Akin DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Is it just me, or has SF been pretty quiet so far? (ie boies SF, gibson dunn sF, perkins SF, jones day SF....)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Friend has heard from Kirkland DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Is Weil by phone or e-mail? I got a Gibson Dunn NY and Latham Watkins NY callback, both by phone. The latter followed up with email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it just me, or has SF been pretty quiet so far? (ie boies SF, gibson dunn sF, perkins SF, jones day SF....)

I heard from Boies SF on Wednesday (interviewer TB)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is Weil by phone or e-mail? I got a Gibson Dunn NY and Latham Watkins NY callback, both by phone. The latter followed up with email.

my weil was last night by phone but i assume like all the other firms it could depend on the interviewer (mine was CG)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Friend has heard from Kirkland DC

Do you know when?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Heard from Jones Day DC yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 pm

WilmerHale's travel reimbursement policy says they'll only cover one night in a hotel for every two firms interviewed with. This isn't normal, right? Does anyone know what happens if you CB with both WilmerHale and firms that cover full nights?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:still silence from Gibson Dunn NY. Has anyone heard anything? My interviewers were BL and DV

I know people with Gibson Dunn callbacks (NY). I don't know interviewers' initials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Has anyone heard from MoFo interviewer SO? Any positive movement from Gunderson or Orrick? Likelihood of anything happening on a Sunday?

Return to “Legal Employment”