HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bid 34 (mostly NY), got 23.

There are at least 1 or 2 firms that I really wanted to interview with that I didn't get. Is there a way to add them, or am I totally out of luck?

2 ways I believe

Wait till the add period (tmr)

Do the first come first serve daily adds during EIP week (assuming they have opening that is)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 am

how do i cancel interviews? i'm on the screen and can't find any button...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:how do i cancel interviews? i'm on the screen and can't find any button...


you can do so starting at noon today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:how do i cancel interviews? i'm on the screen and can't find any button...

you cant yet, cancelling begins at noon today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 am

thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bid 34 (mostly NY), got 23.

There are at least 1 or 2 firms that I really wanted to interview with that I didn't get. Is there a way to add them, or am I totally out of luck?

2 ways I believe

Wait till the add period (tmr)

Do the first come first serve daily adds during EIP week (assuming they have opening that is)


If neither of those options works, OCS also said that most firms are responsive if you email the recruiting director the morning the firm is on campus and let them know that you really wanted an interview but couldn't get one. The recruiting director will often then reach out to whoever is interviewing on campus for that firm and try to squeeze you in either during lunch or after their last interview of the day as an extra slot on their schedule.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Does anyone know the ideal # of interviews one should have? Its probably too early but it looks like many people are not taking advantage of the drop period.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Let's say a firm is sending 3 interviewers (A, B, and C). I got paired up with interviewer C according to my EIP schedule.

But I've actually met interviewer B before and she and I share a lot of common interests, not only professionally but socially as well. Simply put, I would have a MUCH easier time connecting with and talking with interviewer B.

Does anybody know if I should or if there is a way to, change interviewers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 pm

25 / 31 (all new york), got all of the ones I wanted

GertrudePerkins
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the ideal # of interviews one should have? Its probably too early but it looks like many people are not taking advantage of the drop period.
Sorry if this is trite, but it depends on how successful you're likely to be, which in turn depends on the market(s) you're bidding. That said, if I had to indulge in gross over-generalizations, I'd say that if you're pretty average, 20 is probably more than enough.

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say a firm is sending 3 interviewers (A, B, and C). I got paired up with interviewer C according to my EIP schedule.

But I've actually met interviewer B before and she and I share a lot of common interests, not only professionally but socially as well. Simply put, I would have a MUCH easier time connecting with and talking with interviewer B.

Does anybody know if I should or if there is a way to, change interviewers?


If the firm has open interview slots, it is possible to re-schedule your interview for a different slot in the day and thereby end up with a different interviewer. I would be really careful about doing this: you don't know who the interviewer is going to be before you end up with the slot, and if you somehow drop the interview and are wrong about another slot being open (or someone grabs it before you do), it is going to be awkward to explain why you got an interview, don't have one now, but want to get added back in to the interview schedule.

Also, a lot of firms have hospitality suites and receptions - I would probably just stop by and make sure you say hi to this person in lieu of trying to switch your schedule up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let's say a firm is sending 3 interviewers (A, B, and C). I got paired up with interviewer C according to my EIP schedule.

But I've actually met interviewer B before and she and I share a lot of common interests, not only professionally but socially as well. Simply put, I would have a MUCH easier time connecting with and talking with interviewer B.

Does anybody know if I should or if there is a way to, change interviewers?


If the firm has open interview slots, it is possible to re-schedule your interview for a different slot in the day and thereby end up with a different interviewer. I would be really careful about doing this: you don't know who the interviewer is going to be before you end up with the slot, and if you somehow drop the interview and are wrong about another slot being open (or someone grabs it before you do), it is going to be awkward to explain why you got an interview, don't have one now, but want to get added back in to the interview schedule.

Also, a lot of firms have hospitality suites and receptions - I would probably just stop by and make sure you say hi to this person in lieu of trying to switch your schedule up.

on a related note, are the "estimated 2L openings" column on CSM up to date? Meaning, do they reflect the current number of openings?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 am

Quick question for the experts on this board: if you are interviewing in D.C., and interested in doing regulatory work, in how much detail should you convey this interest? Should you be general and say "I am interested in regulation"? Or should you be more specific and say "I want to do FDA regulation"?

I don't want to pigeon hole my interests...but I also don't want to sound too broad and abstract. Any ideas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question for the experts on this board: if you are interviewing in D.C., and interested in doing regulatory work, in how much detail should you convey this interest? Should you be general and say "I am interested in regulation"? Or should you be more specific and say "I want to do FDA regulation"?

I don't want to pigeon hole my interests...but I also don't want to sound too broad and abstract. Any ideas?


I asked one of the DC market recruiters this question, they said don't be so broad as to only say "regulation" but you don't need to be quite as specific as "FDA regulation". Something more like "interested in a regulatory practice, X, Y, and Z areas are especially appealing to me because of whatever reason" should work unless the employer really only has one good regulatory practice group that you're interested in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Question answered. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick question for the experts on this board: if you are interviewing in D.C., and interested in doing regulatory work, in how much detail should you convey this interest? Should you be general and say "I am interested in regulation"? Or should you be more specific and say "I want to do FDA regulation"?

I don't want to pigeon hole my interests...but I also don't want to sound too broad and abstract. Any ideas?


I asked one of the DC market recruiters this question, they said don't be so broad as to only say "regulation" but you don't need to be quite as specific as "FDA regulation". Something more like "interested in a regulatory practice, X, Y, and Z areas are especially appealing to me because of whatever reason" should work unless the employer really only has one good regulatory practice group that you're interested in.


Stupid but urgent question, do we need to convey where our interests lie on our resume? how much special tailoring for a particular firm is necessary?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick question for the experts on this board: if you are interviewing in D.C., and interested in doing regulatory work, in how much detail should you convey this interest? Should you be general and say "I am interested in regulation"? Or should you be more specific and say "I want to do FDA regulation"?

I don't want to pigeon hole my interests...but I also don't want to sound too broad and abstract. Any ideas?


I asked one of the DC market recruiters this question, they said don't be so broad as to only say "regulation" but you don't need to be quite as specific as "FDA regulation". Something more like "interested in a regulatory practice, X, Y, and Z areas are especially appealing to me because of whatever reason" should work unless the employer really only has one good regulatory practice group that you're interested in.


Stupid but urgent question, do we need to convey where our interests lie on our resume? how much special tailoring for a particular firm is necessary?


Like practice area interests? Just specify in the interview. Unless you have one very specific practice area in mind, but then it should come out organically in the narrative someone gets as they read your resume.

If you have two radically different interests -- like, Silicon Valley IP litigation boutique vs. NYC tax biglaw -- it might be worth having two versions of your resume. But I don't think you have to tailor your resume to a specific firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Should I feel obligated to go to these evening receptions at local restaurants/bars? I'm thinking after a day of 8 interviews I might prefer to just chill, rather than flip on schmooze mode again at a reception. If it's a firm you like, do you do yourself a disservice by not showing up at the reception?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:34 am

Apart from Quinn, are there any other firms that permit business casual attire during callbacks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I feel obligated to go to these evening receptions at local restaurants/bars? I'm thinking after a day of 8 interviews I might prefer to just chill, rather than flip on schmooze mode again at a reception. If it's a firm you like, do you do yourself a disservice by not showing up at the reception?


also very interested in this, there's one day where there's three receptions, and even for a social butterfly that seems like a lot of schmoozing!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I feel obligated to go to these evening receptions at local restaurants/bars? I'm thinking after a day of 8 interviews I might prefer to just chill, rather than flip on schmooze mode again at a reception. If it's a firm you like, do you do yourself a disservice by not showing up at the reception?


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I feel obligated to go to these evening receptions at local restaurants/bars? I'm thinking after a day of 8 interviews I might prefer to just chill, rather than flip on schmooze mode again at a reception. If it's a firm you like, do you do yourself a disservice by not showing up at the reception?


Some firms do private invitation-only dinners for candidates that they especially wish to woo. These invitations generally get handed out during or after your initial interview. I would go to those.

But the big receptions are not that important, IMHO. I think their purpose is for you to have the opportunity to meet more people at the firm to decide if you like it. I really doubt that firms base callback decisions on attendance at their receptions.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I feel obligated to go to these evening receptions at local restaurants/bars? I'm thinking after a day of 8 interviews I might prefer to just chill, rather than flip on schmooze mode again at a reception. If it's a firm you like, do you do yourself a disservice by not showing up at the reception?


Some firms do private invitation-only dinners for candidates that they especially wish to woo. These invitations generally get handed out during or after your initial interview. I would go to those.

But the big receptions are not that important, IMHO. I think their purpose is for you to have the opportunity to meet more people at the firm to decide if you like it. I really doubt that firms base callback decisions on attendance at their receptions.


I stole the nametags of some of my friends who were too tired to go to some of the firm receptions just in case.

User avatar
BelugaWhale
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby BelugaWhale » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:54 pm

maybe a stupid question but for those who already did eip, does the room/hospitality suite # correspond to the floor? So let's say hospitality suite 456. That's on the fourth floor right?

And ocs warned us about long elevator lines, how bad does it actually get?

arez
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby arez » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:55 pm

When giving transcripts to employers did you just give the first page (with all classes/grades from 1L) or also the second page which shows what classes you're currently enrolled in for the coming year? Thanks!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.