HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:45 pm

etc
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4H, 6P, urm, w/e, 1l SA, bidding CA and NY (no ties to either, should I add more NY firms?)

Any suggestions? Misses, super-reaches? Please don't quote bidlist (address to "artful dodger"). Thanks.

Bids are in that order

- Artful Dodger

A lot of those firms have multiple offices in CA (Gibson, Latham, etc.) and you're going to want to think thoughtfully about which you pick and how you put it together into one coherent story. And differnet offices, because of different sizes, will be varying in how difficult it is to get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if you guys might have any insight/gut feelings about this. Our affinity group, think APLSA/BLSA/whateverother LSA :p is hosting a regional job fair in NY on the Friday of EIP. I was thinking of bidding, mostly to increase my call back chances by getting to bid on more firms (you get to bid on 20, a lot are firms coming to HLS, a few arent). However. I would need to miss the last day of EIP and not schedule any interviews that day to get myself down to New York to do these screeners.

Is it worth it? is there any possible advantage to seeing the same firm at EIP at HLS vs. seeing them at the job fair in NY? Apart from the fact that I'd be competing against mostly non-Harvard students.

I think the answer to this question depends on many factors.
1) Are there firms coming to Harvard on the 16th that you like and are they also coming to the minority job fair?
2) The minority job fair is pre-select right? Just because you go to Harvard does not mean that you will automatically get a spot. I mean it helps a lot but its not a gaurantee. Also these job fairs are usually set up for minorities that go to schools that these firms do not usually visit so I can imagine a recruiter saying "Doesn't he/she go to HLS and aren't we stopping there on the 13th, why should we give him/her a spot when he/she will have a chance on his/her campus?"
So you can do it but you have to take a lot of things into consideration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote: A lot of those firms have multiple offices in CA (Gibson, Latham, etc.) and you're going to want to think thoughtfully about which you pick and how you put it together into one coherent story. And differnet offices, because of different sizes, will be varying in how difficult it is to get it.

Thanks,

The CA offices are mostly LA. OMM is century city. I looked at the Bid/Int/CBO/Offer numbers. I'm still fine-tuning the list and consulting with the recruiters.

justanotherlurker

Postby justanotherlurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:28 am

For those wondering, HLR just announced who they picked:
--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Spoke to a partner at a V25 who worked at a V3 for several years - said that grades at HLS don't matter. Boom.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Spoke to a partner at a V25 who worked at a V3 for several years - said that grades at HLS don't matter. Boom.

Although you were trying to be reassuring, I doubt this is true. Many partners at law firms do not know what happening in recruiting...i remember speaking to a partner at a mixer who did not know anything about what happened at the OCI process. So do not think that a partner's words totally represents all firms or even his firm. Grades matter to some degree, OCS say it, OCI proves it.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Spoke to a partner at a V25 who worked at a V3 for several years - said that grades at HLS don't matter. Boom.

Although you were trying to be reassuring, I doubt this is true. Many partners at law firms do not know what happening in recruiting...i remember speaking to a partner at a mixer who did not know anything about what happened at the OCI process. So do not think that a partner's words totally represents all firms or even his firm. Grades matter to some degree, OCS say it, OCI proves it.

It's also fairly individualized based on the firm. Some firms really care, others don't understand our grading system and don't care to understand it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 pm

shitboomer alert.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi, if someone could advise on this bidlist that would be much appreciated. All NY offices. I have been told to bid aggressively. The firms I bolded are the ones I want to be guaranteed a screener at. I am wondering which firms are ranked too low and which can be safely dropped a few ranks? I am most interested in Davis Polk.

*edit* the last 3 firms I know are bid way too low. I added them in at the bottom just so I can say I bid on them when I go to the hospitality suites.

1. Boies Schiller
2. Sidley Austin
3. Freshfields
4. Wilmer Hale
5. Proskauer Rose
6. Sullivan Cromwell
7. Cravath
8. Davis Polk

9. Latham Watkins
10. White and Case
11. Kirkland Ellis
12. Weil Gotschal
13. Cahill Gordon
14. Debevoise

15. Skadden
16. Gibson Dunn
17. Cleary Gottlieb
18. Simpson Thatcher
19. Paul Weiss

20. Dechert
21. Fried Frank
22. Covington Burling
23. Schulte Roth
24. Kaye Scholer
25. Vinson Elkins
26. Cadwalader
27. Milbank Tweed
28. Ropes and Gray
29. Wachtell
30. Wilkie Farr
31. Crowell and Moring
32. Sheppard Mullin
33. Baker Botts
34. Akin Gump
35. Shearman Sterling

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Hey all, I've got a question on general bidding strategies. I'd really like to do DC, but I'm not sure how I should bid. I have strong ties (born and raised in DC area, all immediate family in the area etc), 2 years of decent work experience and 1 DS, 1H and 8 Ps. OCS seemed to think it would be fine if I basically went all in on DC, as long as I had a fair amount of less-selective firms. However, I can't tell if they're just telling me that because it's what I want to hear, or if it's the case that DC is doable for me (the TLS echo chamber makes me think it's risky to bank so much on DC). If I'm concerned with getting shut out/okay with going to NYC, should I do something like 25/10 DC:NY?

Thanks everybody.

justanotherlurker

Postby justanotherlurker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I've got a question on general bidding strategies. I'd really like to do DC, but I'm not sure how I should bid. I have strong ties (born and raised in DC area, all immediate family in the area etc), 2 years of decent work experience and 1 DS, 1H and 8 Ps. OCS seemed to think it would be fine if I basically went all in on DC, as long as I had a fair amount of less-selective firms. However, I can't tell if they're just telling me that because it's what I want to hear, or if it's the case that DC is doable for me (the TLS echo chamber makes me think it's risky to bank so much on DC). If I'm concerned with getting shut out/okay with going to NYC, should I do something like 25/10 DC:NY?

Thanks everybody.

If OCS says it's OK, it's OK. It's their job to make sure everyone gets a job, they don't really care about how prestigious the job you get is. But if they say to bid on less-competitive firms, make sure you have ~5 of your top 10 or so be less-selective. Probably don't bid many/most of the most-selective DC tier.

But yes, a job at a top-tier NYC firm will be much easier to get than a top-tier DC firm. If you care more about prestige than what city, add some NY into the mix.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Transfer. Interested in transactional. Only targeting NYC. Is my bidlist too aggressive? Have I put too many low percentage firms (bids to interview ratio) in the top 10 or so at the expense of larger SA class size after that?

1) Allen & Overy
2) Orrick
3) Jones Day
4) Morrison & Foerster
5) Paul Hastings
6) Clifford Chance
7) Linklaters
8) Mayer Brown
9) O'Melvny [deleted]
10) Sidley Austin
11) Freshfields
12) Sullivan & Cromwell
13) Shearman & Sterling
14) White & Case
15) Debevoise
16) Proskauer Rose
17) Skadden
18) Weil
19) Cravath
20) Fried Frank
21) Milbank
22) Cleary
23) Gibson Dunn
24) Latham
25) Kirkland
26) Covington
27) DPW
28) Cadwalader
29) Paul Weiss
30) Simpson Thatcher
31) Patterson
32) Kaye Scholer
33) Wilkie
34) Sculte
35) Stroock

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer. Interested in transactional. Only targeting NYC. Is my bidlist too aggressive? Have I put too many low percentage firms (bids to interview ratio) in the top 10 or so at the expense of larger SA class size after that?

1) Allen & Overy
2) Orrick
3) Jones Day
4) Morrison & Foerster
5) Paul Hastings
6) Clifford Chance
7) Linklaters
8) Mayer Brown
9) O'Melvny [deleted]
10) Sidley Austin
11) Freshfields
12) Sullivan & Cromwell
13) Shearman & Sterling
14) White & Case
15) Debevoise
16) Proskauer Rose
17) Skadden
18) Weil
19) Cravath
20) Fried Frank
21) Milbank
22) Cleary
23) Gibson Dunn
24) Latham
25) Kirkland
26) Covington
27) DPW
28) Cadwalader
29) Paul Weiss
30) Simpson Thatcher
31) Patterson
32) Kaye Scholer
33) Wilkie
34) Sculte
35) Stroock

DPW, Simpson and Paul Weiss can be moved down the list. I do not think you will get Kirkland at 25. I am not sure about the agressiveness of your list. I think it looks fine to me but you may want to reach out to the Office of Career Services to talk about that issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 am

What writing sample are people using? All the memo's I've written over the summer are very short and very confidential, eve with redactions of names and such. So Ames brief it is?

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:What writing sample are people using? All the memo's I've written over the summer are very short and very confidential, eve with redactions of names and such. So Ames brief it is?

Another possible option if you did the HLR write-on is your case comment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:28 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What writing sample are people using? All the memo's I've written over the summer are very short and very confidential, eve with redactions of names and such. So Ames brief it is?

Another possible option if you did the HLR write-on is your case comment.

Do you think this is a good idea? I made LR so I know my case comment isn't a total piece of garbage, but I am unsure employers will be receptive to it as a writing sample since it is not representative of the work associates generally do.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm

First, congrats on making LR.

Second, the writing sample honestly isn't very important (about 2/3 of the firms I interviewed with didn't ask for one), and it doesn't have to be an example of the kind of work product you would produce as an associate. It's designed to demonstrate that you know how to write in a legal setting, and perhaps to serve as a conversation piece if your interviewer is so inclined. An LR case comment will satisfy both of those objectives, particularly if you got on.

onehellofaride

Postby onehellofaride » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 pm

If you do write a cover letter for your screening interview, do you address it to the person you are interviewing with, or with the recruiting coordinator, hiring partners, etc?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 pm

onehellofaride wrote:If you do write a cover letter for your screening interview, do you address it to the person you are interviewing with, or with the recruiting coordinator, hiring partners, etc?

I thought you werent supposed to for EIP?

justanotherlurker

Postby justanotherlurker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:01 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
onehellofaride wrote:If you do write a cover letter for your screening interview, do you address it to the person you are interviewing with, or with the recruiting coordinator, hiring partners, etc?

At the very least, Covington DC says on Symplicity:
"Please bring a copy of your cover letter, resume, transcript, list of references and writing sample to the interview."

Anyone know if we actually do have to bring a cover letter?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Can people post any firms they come across that require a cover letter? Maybe we can compile a list for information purposes.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

justanotherlurker wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

"Please bring a copy of your cover letter, resume, transcript, list of references and writing sample to the interview."

No it doesnt?

I just checked.

And so far haven't come across any firms that require cov letters

justanotherlurker

Postby justanotherlurker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:59 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
justanotherlurker wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

No it doesnt?

I just checked.

And so far haven't come across any firms that require cov letters

Maybe they're reading TLS, since it said it this morning. But you're right, it no longer says so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am

OCS email just now - evidently firms have been told to GTFO with their cover letter requests:

Please be advised that employers are not allowed to request cover letters as part of the interview process at Harvard Law School. You should not submit a resume during the bidding period that includes a cover letter, nor should you bring a cover letter to the interview. The reason for this "no cover letter" policy is that we want students to focus on preparing for interviews, rather than preparing cover letters.

Return to “Legal Employment”