HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm

can someone give me a list of New York firms that i have zero chance with if i only have 1 H? I don't wanna waste bids on places where i have literally no chance. I have about 3 or 4 of those "bumps" listed below if that matters...

From the strategic bidding advice section:
Relevant work experience
Advanced degrees
Geographic ties to the area
Diversity
Language abilities
Strength of your undergraduate institution and relevant course of study. For exampl, if you majored in business or economics, you might have a slight edge in the process. Similarly, those with a background in one of the hard sciences, may more easily market themselves to EIP employers
Strength of your interviewing skills

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 pm

3H, bidding exclusively for DC. Nothing special by way of softs though I'm a competent interviewer for whatever that means or is worth.

I'm worried im being too aggressive...any feedback?

WilmerHale
Arnold & Porter
Hogan Lovells
Cooley
Mofo
Ropes & Gray
Akin Gump
Sidley Austin
White & Case
Paul Hastings
Crowell Moring
Boies Schiller
Milbank
Skadden
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
Kirkland & Ellis
Norton Rose Fulbright
Wiley Rein
Vinson Elkins
Willkie Farr
Paul Weiss
Latham & Watkins
Hunton & Williams
Baker Botts
Jones Day
Covington & Burling
O'Melveny & [deleted]
Fried Frank
Steptoe
Orrick
Hughes Hubbard
Shearman & Sterling
Bingham
Venable
Allen & Overy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3H, bidding exclusively for DC. Nothing special by way of softs though I'm a competent interviewer for whatever that means or is worth.

I'm worried im being too aggressive...any feedback?

WilmerHale
Arnold & Porter
Hogan Lovells
Cooley
Mofo
Ropes & Gray
Akin Gump
Sidley Austin
White & Case
Paul Hastings
Crowell Moring
Boies Schiller
Milbank
Skadden
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
Kirkland & Ellis
Norton Rose Fulbright
Wiley Rein
Vinson Elkins
Willkie Farr
Paul Weiss
Latham & Watkins
Hunton & Williams
Baker Botts
Jones Day
Covington & Burling
O'Melveny & [deleted]
Fried Frank
Steptoe
Orrick
Hughes Hubbard
Shearman & Sterling
Bingham
Venable
Allen & Overy

You are DOA for Wilmer and Covington. Don't waste the bids.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, any other firms I should consider cutting since they're too reachy? Would it matter I'm urm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, any other firms I should consider cutting since they're too reachy? Would it matter I'm urm?

Do you have DC WE or other ties? I think that might make a difference in determining if you're a reach for several of the firms on your list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have DC WE or other ties? I think that might make a difference in determining if you're a reach for several of the firms on your list.

family (not immediate but aunts and uncles and my family is set on going to dc in any event) in DC with stuff on resume in DC (spent 2 semesters in DC while in college and have done internships there). I'm k-jd so no full time work in DC (or anywhere obviously)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

family (not immediate but aunts and uncles and my family is set on going to dc in any event) in DC with stuff on resume in DC (spent 2 semesters in DC while in college and have done internships there). I'm k-jd so no full time work in DC (or anywhere obviously)

It seems pretty risky to go all-in on DC with 3H and no work experience, have you talked to OCS about your bid list?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems pretty risky to go all-in on DC with 3H and no work experience, have you talked to OCS about your bid list?

ocs just said my list was aggressive and i should add in some safeties, not that i would be shut out entirely...thats new to me...for what its worth i have a 1l sa at V50 now, not in dc though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems pretty risky to go all-in on DC with 3H and no work experience, have you talked to OCS about your bid list?

ocs just said my list was aggressive and i should add in some safeties, not that i would be shut out entirely...thats new to me...for what its worth i have a 1l sa at V50 now, not in dc though.

It might just be internet rumors, but DC is supposedly grade-snobby as far as legal markets go, and they care more about work experience. OCS would know better though, but it can't hurt to add a few more safety firms to your list and cut out some of the reaches (Covington, Wilmer, A&P, Hogan, etc).

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

if you have a 1L SA already , i think its fine to go all out on DC. you will have a fallback option. assuming you could be happy at your 1L firm that is

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It might just be internet rumors, but DC is supposedly grade-snobby as far as legal markets go, and they care more about work experience. OCS would know better though, but it can't hurt to add a few more safety firms to your list and cut out some of the reaches (Covington, Wilmer, A&P, Hogan, etc).

op here, Yeah it's just a BIG difference between

"youre being too aggressive, add in safeties"

and

"it's risky to go all on DC with your grades"...as if implying all my bids are reaches....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

op here, Yeah it's just a BIG difference between

"youre being too aggressive, add in safeties"

and

"it's risky to go all on DC with your grades"...as if implying all my bids are reaches....

poster who said DC is risky here, your bids definitely aren't all reaches, you are definitely within what OCS told me is the grade range for a lot of them. if you have a 1L SA to fall back on, you have a lot more flexibility in how you bid. DC is just a hard market to predict because it isn't all about the grades like NYC and it seems more focused on personal factors, so even if you meet the grade cutoffs the other factors might not line up for some of the firms you interview with which can turn into fewer offers overall than if you were bidding on a market like NYC. i would follow OCS's advice though, they know a lot more about bidding strategy than we do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can someone give me a list of New York firms that i have zero chance with if i only have 1 H? I don't wanna waste bids on places where i have literally no chance. I have about 3 or 4 of those "bumps" listed below if that matters...

From the strategic bidding advice section:
Relevant work experience
Advanced degrees
Geographic ties to the area
Diversity
Language abilities
Strength of your undergraduate institution and relevant course of study. For exampl, if you majored in business or economics, you might have a slight edge in the process. Similarly, those with a background in one of the hard sciences, may more easily market themselves to EIP employers
Strength of your interviewing skills

Firms that will prob be wasted bids
Wachtell
Cravath
SullCrom

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Jumping on the DC bid-list train:
4Hs, DC work experience, HLR. Interested in Litigation, possibly IP Lit -- Relevant 1L summer WE.
Looking at DC primarily, with a bit of Boston and NYC sprinkled in.

Firm Office
1 WilmerHale DC
2 MoFo DC
3 WilmerHale Boston
4 Kirkland NYC
5 Cooley DC/Boston
6 Jones Day DC
7 Akin Gump DC
8 Arnold & Porter DC
9 Goodwin Boston
10 Sidley DC
11 Cravath NYC
12 McDermott DC
13 Ropes DC/Boston
14 Kirkland DC
15 Covington DC
16 Williams & Connolly DC
17 Baker Botts DC
18 Latham DC
19 Hogan Lovells DC
20 DLA Piper DC
21 Gibson Dunn DC
22 Orrick DC
23 Wilson Sonsini DC
24 Paul Hastings DC
25 Mayer Brown DC
26 O'Melveny DC
27 Davis Polk NYC
28 Paul Weiss NYC
29 Paul Weiss DC
30 Cleary DC
31 Steptoe DC
32 Goodwin DC
33 Bingham DC
34 Cadwalader DC
35 Foley Hoag DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Why do fewer HLS students receive offers for SA from and accept offers at Skadden NYC compared to Skadden's peer firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why do fewer HLS students receive offers for SA from and accept offers at Skadden NYC compared to Skadden's peer firms?

Could you clarify the question? Do wou mean why do fewer HLS students get offers from Skadden's peer firms (compared to SKadden)?

Or do you mean why do HLS kids accept their skadden offers and turn down the rest of the v5?

justanotherlurker

Postby justanotherlurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why do fewer HLS students receive offers for SA from and accept offers at Skadden NYC compared to Skadden's peer firms?

Could you clarify the question? Do wou mean why do fewer HLS students get offers from Skadden's peer firms (compared to SKadden)?

Or do you mean why do HLS kids accept their skadden offers and turn down the rest of the v5?

OP is maybe referring to the fact that Skadden's yield (ACC/OFF) is very low, at 13%. Only 10 NYC firms have a lower number. Other V5: SullCrom is 30%, Wachtell is 33%, Cravath 36%, DPW 37%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:22 pm

justanotherlurker wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP is maybe referring to the fact that Skadden's yield (ACC/OFF) is very low, at 13%. Only 10 NYC firms have a lower number. Other V5: SullCrom is 30%, Wachtell is 33%, Cravath 36%, DPW 37%.

Is that a year-over-year pattern where it's consistently low? If it's just last year, it could easily be just noise-- plenty of room for that in a relatively small sample like we've got. Or else maybe Skadden is just wildly off-putting. Who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Please critique my bid list!

7 H (4 DS) and 3 Ps. No Law Review. Pretty solid WE. I'm interested in litigation or perhaps white collar defense in Boston or DC.

1. Williams & Connolly (72)
2. Ropes & Gray (280)
3. Gibson Dunn (80)
4. Jones Day (57)
5. Wilmerhale Boston (100)
6. Wilmerhale DC (80)
7. Skadden Boston (40)
8. Patton Boggs (40)
9. Covington
10. Akin Gump (40)
11. Kirkland Ellis (100)
12. Sidley Austin (60)
13. Cleary Gotlieb (90)
14. King & Spalding DC (20)
15. Wachtell (100)
16. Arnold Porter DC (80)
17. Skadden DC (60)
18. Goodwin Procter (80)
19. Bingham McCutchen MA (80)

Thanks!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 pm

englawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

if you have a 1L SA already , i think its fine to go all out on DC. you will have a fallback option. assuming you could be happy at your 1L firm that is

It's fine if you're okay with the possibility of ending up at your 1L firm. D.C. is a finicky market. I remember a poster on here who said he got shut out of D.C., but basically cleaned up in NYC. It's a rough market to go into unless you have grades, law review, or ties in the form of family or previous WE there.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Please critique my bid list!

7 H (4 DS) and 3 Ps. No Law Review. Pretty solid WE. I'm interested in litigation or perhaps white collar defense in Boston or DC.

1. Williams & Connolly (72)
2. Ropes & Gray (280)
3. Gibson Dunn (80)
4. Jones Day (57)
5. Wilmerhale Boston (100)
6. Wilmerhale DC (80)
7. Skadden Boston (40)
8. Patton Boggs (40)
9. Covington
10. Akin Gump (40)
11. Kirkland Ellis (100)
12. Sidley Austin (60)
13. Cleary Gotlieb (90)
14. King & Spalding DC (20)
15. Wachtell (100)
16. Arnold Porter DC (80)
17. Skadden DC (60)
18. Goodwin Procter (80)
19. Bingham McCutchen MA (80)

Thanks!

Your grades are great so I wouldn't worry about reaching too much. The only firm I think might be a bit of a reach is W&C, but that's true of everyone who doesn't have all H's and LR. I don't know why you are bidding on Wachtell. I'd probably add O'Melveny and Hogan to your list of DC firms.

justinp

Postby justinp » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 am

hlsperson1111 wrote: I don't know why you are bidding on Wachtell.

BECAUSE IT'S WACHTELL BRO #1 WOO BABY.

Or else dat sexy equity-courts litigation practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 am

I was wondering if you guys might have any insight/gut feelings about this. Our affinity group, think APLSA/BLSA/whateverother LSA :p is hosting a regional job fair in NY on the Friday of EIP. I was thinking of bidding, mostly to increase my call back chances by getting to bid on more firms (you get to bid on 20, a lot are firms coming to HLS, a few arent). However. I would need to miss the last day of EIP and not schedule any interviews that day to get myself down to New York to do these screeners.

Is it worth it? is there any possible advantage to seeing the same firm at EIP at HLS vs. seeing them at the job fair in NY? Apart from the fact that I'd be competing against mostly non-Harvard students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 am

justanotherlurker wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you get the data on ACC/OFF? Does this relate to HLS or more generally to all ACC and Offers?

justanotherlurker

Postby justanotherlurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
justanotherlurker wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you get the data on ACC/OFF? Does this relate to HLS or more generally to all ACC and Offers?

Last year's HLS EIP statistics, on OCS's website. Insanely helpful. Your bid list strategy should reflect the # of Bids vs. # of Slots stats from last year (i.e., some firms interview 90%+ of people who bid, some firms interview under 40%.)

Return to “Legal Employment”