HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
captainwasabi09

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby captainwasabi09 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 pm

heavy wrote:Hey Everyone,

Hope you will forgive a quick question from someone behind in the EIP process, but how do we go about contacting a city-specific recruiter? I am hoping to bid mostly DC, and have a tentative list, but saw that others had spoken with someone about it. Is it through OCS?

Thanks for the help, and best of luck to everyone

I think there are Regional Experts you can talk to. Go to the HLS OCS website, click on "Ask the Experts: 2013 Regional Guides," log in, and there will be a list of people you can contact. I would recommend doing it ASAP, because I heard their schedules are getting filled up.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Law review is nice, but the reality is that it's not really necessary for anything if your grades/connections are good enough. Here are some fun facts:
-Many people got offers at Williams & Connolly, Wachtell, Munger, and basically every other selective firm you can imagine without having LR.
-People in the last few years have landed clerkships with lots of elite federal judges without law review. Boudin, Garland, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Tatel, Wilkinson, Posner, and Fletcher have all hired people from HLS without law review. This is likely not an exhaustive list.
-I can think of at least two SCOTUS clerks from HLS who weren't on LR.
-There are plenty of professors at top schools who graduated from HLS who weren't on LR.

I don't mean to diminish the accomplishments of any of the people who are or were on LR. It's just not a necessity for virtually any employment coming out of Harvard. Good luck to everyone at EIP!

walnuto

Postby walnuto » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Does anyone know what the grade cutoff for Quinn Emanuel has been for the past couple of years? Also, for those who received a callback already, would you mind disclosing your grades? Would be super helpful. Thanks!

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 am

walnuto wrote:Does anyone know what the grade cutoff for Quinn Emanuel has been for the past couple of years? Also, for those who received a callback already, would you mind disclosing your grades? Would be super helpful. Thanks!

It seems to be 4/5H from these boards. The two friends I know who have callbacks both have 5H.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1H, urm, no real w/e (straight through), but a strong interviewer (I think), interested in internationally oriented firms. Are firms like Freshfields and Allen & Overy reaches/matches or safeties... I really have no idea what I'm doing here, and OCS has been giving me some inconsistent information regarding this. I have no idea, and I don't want to mess up and be too conservative or too bold.

I think you should look through TLS for more information about Magic Circle Firms that recruit at US law schools (Freshfields, Allen & Overy, Linklaters & Clifford Chance). It appears they are less grade selective but they like people with some international flair. So its very possible to get them with 1H (they are targets not reaches depending on your resume and life story). But just being interested in international firms is not going to cut it. Because many US firms are internationally oriented. What inconsistent information are you getting?

OP here. Not really inconsistent, per se, but confusing. My OCS advisor told me DLA Piper and Baker McKenzie are "safeties" for me, but then told me that with my grades in NYC firms in the 40-50 range will be matches. I realize magic circle is less prestigious in the US, but they have great international focus, and I'd love to take opportunities to practice abroad. Without being over specific, I've spent a significant amount of time displaying interest in international work (travel, living/working abroad) and though my extra curricular activities during 1L and in UG.

That aside, I'm just at a total loss for how to process all of the information from vault, from TLS, from chambers, from OCS and balance my grades with my interests with firm selectivity and quality of life. It's quite overwhelming. I realize I shit the bed a bit with my grade situation, but I also feel like I'm getting inconsistent info about just HOW fucked I am. And clearly I'm a crazy person who gets stressed out and goes to TLS which will inevitably only increase my stress. (sorry that was a crazy rant)

OP back (URM, intl focus, 1H 9P) with a bid list, all for NY. I have a secondary market I'm bidding on that I still need to iron over with OCS. Any additions/suggestions for moving things around are very welcome. A lot of the firms past the top 10 were OCS suggestions, so I don't know much about them. Thanks!

1. Allen & Overy
2. Linklaters
3. Clifford Chance
4. Freshfields
5. Herbert Smith
6. White & Case
7. Dechert
8. Shearman & Sterling
9. DLA Piper
10. Jones Day
11. Baker & Mckenzie
12. Mayer Brown
13. Skadden NY (this should be moved up, I only have it here because I have connections to the firm, but otherwise I'm not jazzed by the firm culture)
14. Simpson & Thatcher
15. Arnold & Porter
16. Latham & Watkins
17. Sidely Austin
18. Kirkland & Ellis
19. Greenberg Traurig
20. Norton Rose Fulbright
21. King & Spalding
22. Hughes Hubbard & Reed
23. Brown Rudnick
24. Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle
25. McDermott Will & Emery
26. Chadbourne & Parke LLP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1H, urm, no real w/e (straight through), but a strong interviewer (I think), interested in internationally oriented firms. Are firms like Freshfields and Allen & Overy reaches/matches or safeties... I really have no idea what I'm doing here, and OCS has been giving me some inconsistent information regarding this. I have no idea, and I don't want to mess up and be too conservative or too bold.

I think you should look through TLS for more information about Magic Circle Firms that recruit at US law schools (Freshfields, Allen & Overy, Linklaters & Clifford Chance). It appears they are less grade selective but they like people with some international flair. So its very possible to get them with 1H (they are targets not reaches depending on your resume and life story). But just being interested in international firms is not going to cut it. Because many US firms are internationally oriented. What inconsistent information are you getting?

OP here. Not really inconsistent, per se, but confusing. My OCS advisor told me DLA Piper and Baker McKenzie are "safeties" for me, but then told me that with my grades in NYC firms in the 40-50 range will be matches. I realize magic circle is less prestigious in the US, but they have great international focus, and I'd love to take opportunities to practice abroad. Without being over specific, I've spent a significant amount of time displaying interest in international work (travel, living/working abroad) and though my extra curricular activities during 1L and in UG.

That aside, I'm just at a total loss for how to process all of the information from vault, from TLS, from chambers, from OCS and balance my grades with my interests with firm selectivity and quality of life. It's quite overwhelming. I realize I shit the bed a bit with my grade situation, but I also feel like I'm getting inconsistent info about just HOW fucked I am. And clearly I'm a crazy person who gets stressed out and goes to TLS which will inevitably only increase my stress. (sorry that was a crazy rant)

OP back (URM, intl focus, 1H 9P) with a bid list, all for NY. I have a secondary market I'm bidding on that I still need to iron over with OCS. Any additions/suggestions for moving things around are very welcome. A lot of the firms past the top 10 were OCS suggestions, so I don't know much about them. Thanks!

1. Allen & Overy
2. Linklaters
3. Clifford Chance
4. Freshfields
5. Herbert Smith
6. White & Case
7. Dechert
8. Shearman & Sterling
9. DLA Piper
10. Jones Day
11. Baker & Mckenzie
12. Mayer Brown
13. Skadden NY (this should be moved up, I only have it here because I have connections to the firm, but otherwise I'm not jazzed by the firm culture)
14. Simpson & Thatcher
15. Arnold & Porter
16. Latham & Watkins
17. Sidely Austin
18. Kirkland & Ellis
19. Greenberg Traurig
20. Norton Rose Fulbright
21. King & Spalding
22. Hughes Hubbard & Reed
23. Brown Rudnick
24. Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle
25. McDermott Will & Emery
26. Chadbourne & Parke LLP

Move Sidley and K&E up the list. You probably will not get them in those positions. You can also move Simpson down a bit. I may be very wrong but I think you can drop at least one firm in your 19-26 range and replace it with a more selective one (if you want to).

lgm13

Postby lgm13 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 am

8 H (including 1 DS), 2 P.

Was not planning to do EIP, but now want to make some money, have a not-too-intense summer, and set myself up for a clerkship followed by either governmental or public-interest work. Still no interest in doing firm work after school (no interest in 18 hour days). Probably most interested in doing appellate work next summer.

What DC/NYC firms would be my best bets? I have absolutely no idea about any of this.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 am

lgm13 wrote:8 H (including 1 DS), 2 P.

Was not planning to do EIP, but now want to make some money, have a not-too-intense summer, and set myself up for a clerkship followed by either governmental or public-interest work. Still no interest in doing firm work after school (no interest in 18 hour days). Probably most interested in doing appellate work next summer.

What DC/NYC firms would be my best bets? I have absolutely no idea about any of this.

With your grades you can pretty much get any firm out there. Your only obstacle would be convincing them to take you especially if you cannot voice any other reasons for being at a firm other than wanting summer money.

lgm13

Postby lgm13 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 am

I don't think I'd have a problem articulating good reasons for wanting to do appellate work, but point taken.

The problem is I don't have a good sense of what firms are out there. I mean, going off the rankings and random tidbits, I think I could name a few that would probably work for me, but I hoped someone on TLS could give me a list/ranking.

And how many should I put down for the lottery? I don't think I could even name 35 firms.

JDflowergirl wrote:
lgm13 wrote:8 H (including 1 DS), 2 P.

With your grades you can pretty much get any firm out there. Your only obstacle would be convincing them to take you especially if you cannot voice any other reasons for being at a firm other than wanting summer money.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am

[quote="lgm13"]I don't think I'd have a problem articulating good reasons for wanting to do appellate work, but point taken.

The problem is I don't have a good sense of what firms are out there. I mean, going off the rankings and random tidbits, I think I could name a few that would probably work for me, but I hoped someone on TLS could give me a list/ranking.

And how many should I put down for the lottery? I don't think I could even name 35 firms.
quote]

Click on Law firms (left side of page under the orange banner that says "Top Ranked"
Scroll down untilyou see "Best Law Firms in Each Practice Area"
Click on Appellate Litgation
You should see a list of 25 firms (this is the 2013 rankings they have not updated them yet)
Start from there and then move on to Chambers and Associates, Talk to someone from OCS about the list you have found and ask forn more suggestionsThis should be a good starting point. Remember Vault is just a reference point.

Also you probably do not need 35 bids. You may just need 15-25

GOOD LUCK!!

lgm13

Postby lgm13 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey, thanks!

JDflowergirl wrote:
lgm13 wrote:I don't think I'd have a problem articulating good reasons for wanting to do appellate work, but point taken.

quote]

Click on Law firms (left side of page under the orange banner that says "Top Ranked"
You should see a list of 25 firms (this is the 2013 rankings they have not updated them yet)
Start from there and then move on to Chambers and Associates, Talk to someone from OCS about the list you have found and ask forn more suggestionsThis should be a good starting point. Remember Vault is just a reference point.

GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Any bid list help anyone can offer would be appreciated. Texas and NY focused, primarily litigation. Threw a few firms not in those markets in that seem like they're sufficiently good places to work/sufficiently prestige-whoring-enabling that I'd go outside my main markets for them. I'm very interested in whether anyone knows if I need to make big moves in order to assure interviews with any of these places.

--Ron Burgundy

1. Susman Godfrey Houston
2. Yetter Coleman Houston
3. Gibbs & Bruns Houston
4. Baker Botts Houston
5. Vinson & Elkins Houston
6. Andrews Kurth Houston
7. Bracewell Houston
8. Paul Weiss NY
9. Skadden NY
10. Simpson Thacher NY
11. Boies Schiller NY
12. Cleary Gottlieb NY
13. Cravath NY
14. SullCrom NY
15. Davis Polk NY
16. Locke Lord Houston
17. Haynes & Boone Houston
18. Wachtell NY
19. Keker & Van Nest SF
20. Williams & Connolly DC
21. Fried Frank NY
22. Kasowitz Benson NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Do I have a shot for a Susman Godfrey SA with 2DS/3H/5P?

Thanks for any advice!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I have a shot for a Susman Godfrey SA with 2DS/3H/5P?

Thanks for any advice!

I've been told by one of their attorneys that their floor is basically top third, but it was a pretty off-the-cuff remark. I don't know whether 2 DS/3 H/5 P is top 3rd or not, nor do I know how much grades matter above that floor versus fit etc. They def have a rep as an extraordinarily grade selective firm though so in conclusion I have no idea.

-- Ron Burgundy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

I've been told by one of their attorneys that their floor is basically top third, but it was a pretty off-the-cuff remark. I don't know whether 2 DS/3 H/5 P is top 3rd or not, nor do I know how much grades matter above that floor versus fit etc. They def have a rep as an extraordinarily grade selective firm though so in conclusion I have no idea.

-- Ron Burgundy

I hadn't heard that they only take top-third, thanks for letting me know! I guess the obligatory question is then: does anyone know where 2DS/3H/5P puts me in the class?

Thank god for anonymity, asking class rank questions feels so tasteless.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

-- Ron Burgundy

According to Harvard's internal grade calculation for honors (DS = 5, H = 4, P = 3), then the OP is within the top third with a 3.7, but I don't know if Susman Godfrey uses the same calculations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

-- Ron Burgundy

I hadn't heard that they only take top-third, thanks for letting me know! I guess the obligatory question is then: does anyone know where 2DS/3H/5P puts me in the class?

Thank god for anonymity, asking class rank questions feels so tasteless.

Well, don't take that as gospel-- as noted it was a pretty casual remark; definitely wasn't an ex cathedra statement of policy or anything. Could be that it is in fact entirely accurate, could be that it was that attorney's own sense of how deep they got into the class, could be that if they actually sat down and thought about it they'd take it back. Probably not a bad benchmark though.

-- Ron Burgundy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 am

Well I'm going to succumb to confirmation bias and believe that I am golden for Susman!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:11 am

lgm13 wrote:8 H (including 1 DS), 2 P...

Exact same. In the CA market, will I be competitive at MTO/KVN/Susman LA?

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 am

Yes, you are competitive.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:14 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

-- Ron Burgundy

According to Harvard's internal grade calculation for honors (DS = 5, H = 4, P = 3), then the OP is within the top third with a 3.7, but I don't know if Susman Godfrey uses the same calculations.

Just out of curiosity, are we just making the common-sense assumption that a 3.7 must surely be top 1/3, or have people actually attempted to map GPAs to rough class ranks?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:26 am

cerealdan wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

-- Ron Burgundy

Just out of curiosity, are we just making the common-sense assumption that a 3.7 must surely be top 1/3, or have people actually attempted to map GPAs to rough class ranks?

cum laude honors, which is somewhere around the top 30-35% (I don't remember exactly), is normally around a 3.60.

arez

Postby arez » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

JDflowergirl wrote:
lgm13 wrote:I don't think I'd have a problem articulating good reasons for wanting to do appellate work, but point taken.

quote]

GOOD LUCK!!

can we actually use our HLS email for log in? I just tried and failed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 pm

arez wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:

quote]

GOOD LUCK!!

can we actually use our HLS email for log in? I just tried and failed.

My HLS email works. but I am not sure if I registered it before I could initially log in.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:02 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
walnuto wrote:Does anyone know what the grade cutoff for Quinn Emanuel has been for the past couple of years? Also, for those who received a callback already, would you mind disclosing your grades? Would be super helpful. Thanks!

It seems to be 4/5H from these boards. The two friends I know who have callbacks both have 5H.

Lower if you're shooting for IP.

Return to “Legal Employment”