HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
soj

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby soj » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:05 am

wert3813 wrote:So who's excited to bid Weil Boston????

User was outed.

Aren't you a rising 1L? Why are you posting here so much?

EDIT: Received PM.

To clarify, 0Ls should not be asking or answering questions in the Employment Forum, least of all in an OCI thread. Generally, 0Ls should generally stay out of the Law Student, Transfer, Employment, and Clerkship Forums and direct their questions to the Ask a Law Student Forum. Go enjoy what remains of your blissful pre-law school life. Don't waste your time with us depressing law students.

All users should read the rules in the stickies and announcements before posting.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 am

And just leaving this here in case the top of every page wasn't enough:
Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

The other mods and I don't have time to scour every thread for anon abuse, but don't interpret that as free rein.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 am

Does anyone (rising 2L and 3Ls) know the lowest position firms like Cleary, Debevoise, Kirkland, and Cravath (all NY) can appear on a bid list and still be obtained after the lottery? It seems like these firms have a large number of available slots (except Kirkland) but are always overbid.

* I know this question really applies to rising 3Ls because they can probably look their old lists but if any rising 2L has any information please jump in.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Sorry, I suppose that's fair. Frankly I had just had drinks with a friend at Latham who was annoyed that this rep was still out there and so focused on them, given all the other firms who have done this and the efforts they generally (and he personally) had done to get people jobs, hire people back, place people w/clients, etc. I guess I got annoyed on his behalf and turned my snark level up. In any event, I don't think I "troll" for them (to whomever that guy who said that) but I do have a number of friends there and I think they're a very solid firm doing really good work. I guess I get why someone would rank a place like Cravath above them but surprised to see places like Schulte, Sidley, Orrick, Jones Day, Paul Hastings, Venable, White & Case, Fried Frank, Cadwalader, Willkie, Greenberg, Shearman, Milbank, Holland & Knight on this last (none of which is nearly the same quality firm and all of which I believe took fairly comparable actions over the past few years). Really think people are placing far too much emphasis on something that, while obviously should be taken into account, really shouldn't be the dominant factor given all the other pieces of information. I 100% believe that they're a better place to start your career than all but a handful of places.

Eh I think your last sentence is true if the economy doesn't take a sudden turn for the worse again... Basically we use the word "Lathaming" now because Latham both leveraged up more quickly and then de-leveraged down more intensely then other biglaw firms during the past few legal business cycles (as in more then just a one-time incident).

The partner/ or leadership/ etc there has shown that they will not hesitate to layoff young associates in mass if necessary and they've been correct in that it hasn't damaged their hiring too much given the overall downturn in biglaw hiring. Still, if you have the choice, I personally feel like picking other firms which show just a little more reservation against repeated, large layoffs is worth any other differences given how detrimental it is to be fired in your first year as an associate.

So this is the sort of attitude that led me to my snide comment before - not sure what your status is (law student / practicing attorney / something else) but having gone through the past few years in a firm and with friends at a number of major firms, I can tell you that the idea that Latham is the exception is just completely wrong. They did something publicly that virtually every firm did privately (and frankly most of the firms I mentioned above even did publicly). My favorite statistic from a few years ago was from a firm widely perceived to be "safe" (I think it may have been DPW), which had a delta of about 3 associates between 1/1/09 and 12/31/09, despite accepting an incoming class of 130 in September/October. Believe me, that wasn't the year where associates all jumped ship to greener pastures...

I don't want to get drawn into an extended back-and-forth here - I just think there's a lot of misinformation out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Bidding almost exclusively Chicago. Very strong regional ties. 3 H's. K-JD, prestigious-ish undergrad (still get a lot of crap for it at HLS). Non-URM.

Does anyone have any advice as to Chicago firms? Or more specifically, any advice/experience with Kirkland, Sidley, Jenner? Any idea what cutoffs might look like?

And if anyone has an idea what political culture might look like at Chicago firms generally? I know Jenner is liberal, but was wondering what the other firms might look like politically.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bidding almost exclusively Chicago. Very strong regional ties. 3 H's. K-JD, prestigious-ish undergrad (still get a lot of crap for it at HLS). Non-URM.

Does anyone have any advice as to Chicago firms? Or more specifically, any advice/experience with Kirkland, Sidley, Jenner? Any idea what cutoffs might look like?

And if anyone has an idea what political culture might look like at Chicago firms generally? I know Jenner is liberal, but was wondering what the other firms might look like politically.

Not to derail or anything, but did people actually give you crap at HLS for where you went to undergrad? I never saw that when I was there. Okay, maybe Section Five would do that. But I never saw it myself.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Stinson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bidding almost exclusively Chicago. Very strong regional ties. 3 H's. K-JD, prestigious-ish undergrad (still get a lot of crap for it at HLS). Non-URM.

Not to derail or anything, but did people actually give you crap at HLS for where you went to undergrad? I never saw that when I was there. Okay, maybe Section Five would do that. But I never saw it myself.

No at all. Unless it is other ivies making fun of Cornell people.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:05 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
Stinson wrote:Not to derail or anything, but did people actually give you crap at HLS for where you went to undergrad? I never saw that when I was there. Okay, maybe Section Five would do that. But I never saw it myself.

No at all. Unless it is other ivies making fun of Cornell people.

let's get real

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:07 pm

in response to a pm question:

the fact that posting here outs you as an hls student is not, absent sensitive employment-related information, enough to justify posting anon. sensitive employment-related information includes grades, work experience, bidding, interviews, offers, and target markets. basically, we just don't want you to use anon to escape criticism for things like jokes, snide comments, and off-topic discussions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Rising 3L here. I was similar to you and got callbacks to those firms and ended up in Chicago. Bid anywhere you would work, and see what happens. Wouldn't worry about your undergrad - and if you went somewhere close to Chicago (i.e. Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern, UofC), that can only help. I doubt there are hard cutoffs, as very few HLS students end up in Chicago - more so, have a good reason to come to Chicago, and you'll be fine. Be personable, do your research ahead of time as to specialities (but really, they all do everything, especially Kirkland and Sidley). I was also wondering about where I would fit in politically - but really, this is something to explore more after getting callbacks and/or offers and deciding. There are lots of Obama people floating around because of his Chicago ties, including at other places like Skadden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Rising 3L here. I was similar to you and got callbacks to those firms and ended up in Chicago. Bid anywhere you would work, and see what happens. Wouldn't worry about your undergrad - and if you went somewhere close to Chicago (i.e. Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern, UofC), that can only help. I doubt there are hard cutoffs, as very few HLS students end up in Chicago - more so, have a good reason to come to Chicago, and you'll be fine. Be personable, do your research ahead of time as to specialities (but really, they all do everything, especially Kirkland and Sidley). I was also wondering about where I would fit in politically - but really, this is something to explore more after getting callbacks and/or offers and deciding. There are lots of Obama people floating around because of his Chicago ties, including at other places like Skadden.

Anon who you're responding to here.

Thanks on the advice on the undergrad. I did go to one of the schools you listed. When you say, explore more after getting callbacks/offers, what are things you would recommend looking for?

And to the poster who asked if I actually got crapped on for my undergrad -- yes, it's happened. The most memorable instances were from Ivy League alumni. :(

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon who you're responding to here.

Thanks on the advice on the undergrad. I did go to one of the schools you listed. When you say, explore more after getting callbacks/offers, what are things you would recommend looking for?

And to the poster who asked if I actually got crapped on for my undergrad -- yes, it's happened. The most memorable instances were from Ivy League alumni. :(

jovially make fun of them for being such failures that despite all the opportunities their undergrad pedigree gave them, they had to resort to going to law school

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm

PM me.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 am

soj wrote:in response to a pm question:

the fact that posting here outs you as an hls student is not, absent sensitive employment-related information, enough to justify posting anon. sensitive employment-related information includes grades, work experience, bidding, interviews, offers, and target markets. basically, we just don't want you to use anon to escape criticism for things like jokes, snide comments, and off-topic discussions.

(hls-specific)...it's not just about posting sensitive stuff...it's the fact that basically everything you type is tied to you...i might not be posting sensitive employment information but I don't want the entire class to know my bidlist etc...I mean I'm not dicking around anonymously or anything...

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:52 am

Blessedassurance wrote:

(hls-specific)...it's not just about posting sensitive stuff...it's the fact that basically everything you type is tied to you...i might not be posting sensitive employment information but I don't want the entire class to know my bidlist etc...I mean I'm not dicking around anonymously or anything...

i think you misunderstood me. i wouldn't out anyone's bidlist--that falls under sensitive employment-related information.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:55 am

soj wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

i think you misunderstood me. i wouldn't out anyone's bidlist--that falls under sensitive employment-related information.

fair enough

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 am

First shot at a bid list. 7H/3P, from CA and want litigation there. Prefer SF all else equal, but would happily take LA if I ended up with an opportunity there that I liked more.

Please tear it up if any bids look clearly out of place - for example, based on what I've read I'm not sure if Keker/Susman/Munger/Irell/Jenner are worth committing bids (or high bids, at least).

1. Morrison & Foerster (SF)
2. Orrick Herrington (SF)
3. Gibson Dunn (SF)
4. Keker & Van Nest (SF)
5. Arnold & Porter (SF)
6. Covington & Burling (SF)
7. Akin Gump (LA)
8. Jenner & Block (LA)
9. Pillsbury Winthrop (SF)
10. Morgan Lewis (SF)
11. Sullivan & Cromwell (LA)
12. Perkins Coie (SF)
13. Susman Godfrey (LA)
14. Latham & Watkins (SF)
15. Sidley Austin (SF)
16. Bingham McCutchen (SF)
17. O’Melveny & [deleted] (SF)
18. Simpson Thacher (LA)
19. Sheppard Mullin (SF)
20. Ropes & Gray (SF)
21. Irell & Manella (LA)
22. Farella Braun & Martel (SF)
23. Skadden (LA)
24. Munger Tolles (LA)
25. WilmerHale (LA)
26. Kirkland & Ellis (SF)
27. Goodwin Procter (SF)
28. Winston Strawn (LA)
29. Paul Hastings (SF)
30. Cooley (SF)

Cheers,
- Squints Palledorous

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:First shot at a bid list. 7H/3P, from CA and want litigation there. Prefer SF all else equal, but would happily take LA if I ended up with an opportunity there that I liked more.

Please tear it up if any bids look clearly out of place - for example, based on what I've read I'm not sure if Keker/Susman/Munger/Irell/Jenner are worth committing bids (or high bids, at least).

3. Gibson Dunn (SF)
4. Keker & Van Nest (SF)
5. Arnold & Porter (SF)
7. Akin Gump (LA)
8. Jenner & Block (LA)
10. Morgan Lewis (SF)
12. Perkins Coie (SF)
13. Susman Godfrey (LA)
15. Sidley Austin (SF)
18. Simpson Thacher (LA)
19. Sheppard Mullin (SF)
20. Ropes & Gray (SF)
21. Irell & Manella (LA)
23. Skadden (LA)
24. Munger Tolles (LA)
25. WilmerHale (LA)
27. Goodwin Procter (SF)
28. Winston Strawn (LA)
29. Paul Hastings (SF)
30. Cooley (SF)

Cheers,
- Squints Palledorous

Had similar grades at SLS, and this looked a lot like my SF/LA list.

I'd say Keker, Irell, and MTO are worth bids. Susman actually isn't as grade-conscious as people think - this isn't to say grades don't matter, obviously - and your grades are definitely good enough compared to offers they've made in past years. They're just so random with offers that who knows who'll get them. Your grades are good enough for Jenner, provided you have the extra something that they seem to look for in addition to grades - interesting work history or background or interest. That LA Jenner office is pretty small though, so it's a crapshoot.

I can't speak to ordering, but from the past two years, your grades won't keep you out of any of these firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First shot at a bid list. 7H/3P, from CA and want litigation there. Prefer SF all else equal, but would happily take LA if I ended up with an opportunity there that I liked more.

3. Gibson Dunn (SF)
4. Keker & Van Nest (SF)
5. Arnold & Porter (SF)
7. Akin Gump (LA)
8. Jenner & Block (LA)
10. Morgan Lewis (SF)
12. Perkins Coie (SF)
13. Susman Godfrey (LA)
15. Sidley Austin (SF)
18. Simpson Thacher (LA)
19. Sheppard Mullin (SF)
20. Ropes & Gray (SF)
21. Irell & Manella (LA)
23. Skadden (LA)
24. Munger Tolles (LA)
25. WilmerHale (LA)
27. Goodwin Procter (SF)
28. Winston Strawn (LA)
29. Paul Hastings (SF)
30. Cooley (SF)

Cheers,
- Squints Palledorous

Had similar grades at SLS, and this looked a lot like my SF/LA list.

I'd say Keker, Irell, and MTO are worth bids. Susman actually isn't as grade-conscious as people think - this isn't to say grades don't matter, obviously - and your grades are definitely good enough compared to offers they've made in past years. They're just so random with offers that who knows who'll get them. Your grades are good enough for Jenner, provided you have the extra something that they seem to look for in addition to grades - interesting work history or background or interest. That LA Jenner office is pretty small though, so it's a crapshoot.

I can't speak to ordering, but from the past two years, your grades won't keep you out of any of these firms.

Zero work experience, which I figure is a concern for the super-selective firms. But that was very helpful, thank you.

- Squints Palledorous

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 am

All P's, URM, DC & NY. Spoken to recruiters for both DC and NY as well as OCS.

Miller & Chevalier (DC)
Allen & Overy (NY)
Reed Smith (DC)
Freshfields (NY)
Baker Botts (DC)
O'Melveny & [deleted] (DC)
Skadden (DC)
Hughes Hubbard (NY)
Cleary (DC)
Linklaters (NY)
Akin Gump (DC)
Crowell & Moring (DC)
Morgan Lewis (DC)
Goodwin Proctor (DC)
Hogan Lovells (DC)
Cadwalader (DC)
Shearman & Sterling (NY)
Debevoise (NY)
Sidley Austin (NY)
Steptoe & Johnson (DC)
Bingham McCutchen (DC)
Wiley Rein (DC)
Baker & McKenzie (NY)
Paul Hastings (NY)
Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
White & Case (NY)
Pillsbury Winthrop (DC)
Fried Frank (NY)
Gibson Dunn (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Ropes & Gray (NY)
Hunton & Williams (DC)
Morrison & Foerster (DC)
Sutherland (DC)
Winston & Strawn (DC)

Thanks
- Weebl & Bob
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:All P's, URM, DC & NY. Spoken to recruiters for both DC and NY as well as OCS.

Miller & Chevalier (DC)
Allen & Overy (NY)
Reed Smith (DC)
Freshfields (NY)
Baker Botts (DC)
Skadden (DC)
Hughes Hubbard (NY)
Cleary (DC)
Linklaters (NY)
Akin Gump (DC)
Crowell & Moring (DC)
Morgan Lewis (DC)
Goodwin Proctor (DC)
Hogan Lovells (DC)
Cadwalader (DC)
Shearman & Sterling (NY)
Debevoise (NY)
Sidley Austin (NY)
Steptoe & Johnson (DC)
Bingham McCutchen (DC)
Wiley Rein (DC)
Baker & McKenzie (NY)
Paul Hastings (NY)
Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
White & Case (NY)
Pillsbury Winthrop (DC)
Fried Frank (NY)
Gibson Dunn (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Ropes & Gray (NY)
Hunton & Williams (DC)
Morrison & Foerster (DC)
Sutherland (DC)
Winston & Strawn (DC)

Thanks
- Weebl & Bob

I think the ratio of NY to DC firms on your list should be greater than what it is now. NY is an easier market to crack, and although straight Ps are not bad at all, it would be harder in DC because you will be competing with classmates that have better grades, in a smaller legal market. Do you have any ties to DC? What did the recuiters say?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All P's, URM, DC & NY. Spoken to recruiters for both DC and NY as well as OCS.

Miller & Chevalier (DC)
Allen & Overy (NY)
Reed Smith (DC)
Freshfields (NY)
Baker Botts (DC)
Skadden (DC)
Hughes Hubbard (NY)
Cleary (DC)
Linklaters (NY)
Akin Gump (DC)
Crowell & Moring (DC)
Morgan Lewis (DC)
Goodwin Proctor (DC)
Hogan Lovells (DC)
Cadwalader (DC)
Shearman & Sterling (NY)
Debevoise (NY)
Sidley Austin (NY)
Steptoe & Johnson (DC)
Bingham McCutchen (DC)
Wiley Rein (DC)
Baker & McKenzie (NY)
Paul Hastings (NY)
Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
White & Case (NY)
Pillsbury Winthrop (DC)
Fried Frank (NY)
Gibson Dunn (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Ropes & Gray (NY)
Hunton & Williams (DC)
Morrison & Foerster (DC)
Sutherland (DC)
Winston & Strawn (DC)

Thanks
- Weebl & Bob

I think the ratio of NY to DC firms on your list should be greater than what it is now. NY is an easier market to crack, and although straight Ps are not bad at all, it would be harder in DC because you will be competing with classmates that have better grades, in a smaller legal market. Do you have any ties to DC? What did the recuiters say?

I'd prefer DC (due to ties), which is why the ratio is skewed that way. Tried to avoid the "obvious" DC firms where classmates are probably applying. (No Covington, Williams & Connolly, Gibson Dunn, Arnold Porter, Wilmer)

- Weebl & Bob

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:23 am

soj wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon who you're responding to here.

jovially make fun of them for being such failures that despite all the opportunities their undergrad pedigree gave them, they had to resort to going to law school

Lol, yeah, like it or not they're together with us public school proles now!

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Zero work experience, which I figure is a concern for the super-selective firms. But that was very helpful, thank you.

- Squints Palledorous

Did you try for LR? That will probably be a bigger factor at the 3 uber-selective ones (KVN/Munger/Susman) than work experience. Irell & Jenner (and the rest on your list) are set with regards to your grades, it will just come down to your interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:28 pm

PMan99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Zero work experience, which I figure is a concern for the super-selective firms. But that was very helpful, thank you.

- Squints Palledorous

Did you try for LR? That will probably be a bigger factor at the 3 uber-selective ones (KVN/Munger/Susman) than work experience. Irell & Jenner (and the rest on your list) are set with regards to your grades, it will just come down to your interview.

Nope, had no interest in LR. LR sounded miserable to me, frankly (I mean LR itself, not just the writeon competition). I figured that if I were to try to get on LR, I'd be doing it solely for the resume boost, which seemed like a terrible reason.

Really interested in the Ames competition, though obviously that's well after EIP.

- Squints

Return to “Legal Employment”