HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

PMan: Thanks for the input! I guess with the Weil news I've been trying to be a little bit more cautious, so it's good to hear that V5 may be a realistic option. It's really hard to gauge exactly what constitutes good grades from scouring TLS alone.

L. Lubber: I sent you a PM, but it's stuck in my outbox. Hopefully you'll receive it shortly.

Anon: Even though Latham hasn't Latham'd anyone in aweil, I still don't feel comfortable bidding them (so I replaced them on my list with some other targets/safeties). Not sure if that's rational. I might put them back.

Anyone think it's safe to add more DC or CA? Or should I pretty much keep it as/is?

- d.e.m.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PMan: Thanks for the input! I guess with the Weil news I've been trying to be a little bit more cautious, so it's good to hear that V5 may be a realistic option. It's really hard to gauge exactly what constitutes good grades from scouring TLS alone.

L. Lubber: I sent you a PM, but it's stuck in my outbox. Hopefully you'll receive it shortly.

Anon: Even though Latham hasn't Latham'd anyone in aweil, I still don't feel comfortable bidding them (so I replaced them on my list with some other targets/safeties). Not sure if that's rational. I might put them back.

- d.e.m.

This made me laugh. :mrgreen:

What is the best way to order the firms on our lists? I've been told to order them by personal preference but I've been looking at the bid stats on the OCS's website and I'm thinking that I should use that in combination with my preferences...any other suggestions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PMan: Thanks for the input! I guess with the Weil news I've been trying to be a little bit more cautious, so it's good to hear that V5 may be a realistic option. It's really hard to gauge exactly what constitutes good grades from scouring TLS alone.

Anyone think it's safe to add more DC or CA? Or should I pretty much keep it as/is?

- d.e.m.

Wait I thought you wanted NY? Why would you add more DC/CA if you want NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 pm

To clarify: I said I'm exclusively interested in transactional work. I'm targeting NY for that purpose. However, I've been reading about some firms in DC/CA that also have interesting transactional practices (reg in DC, tech in CA). So I'm just curious mostly. I'd be perfectly content to keep my bidlist as/is, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to solicit some opinions.

If that's frowned upon or highly unusual, I apologize. Assume I know nothing about this process.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 pm

- d.e.m.

fwiw, i find this line of thinking pretty questionable - i think i'd rather work at Latham than about 2/3 of the firms you listed. but what do i know, i'm just an actual lawyer with significant real-world experience

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I think this looks good (someone correct me if I am wrong). Add Weil Boston to your list as well.

Too soon?

user was outed

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Wonk wrote:I had heard that Latham added some lit folks so it's good to get confirmation, thanks.

I'm interested in white coller/government enforcement type of work, are there firms in Boston that are particularly strong/weak in that area? I'm also trying to come up with the best way to sell my interest in that area, any suggestions?

Thanks, folks.

Ropes has a solid practice but I'm not sure how easy it is for juniors to get in.. other than that I have no idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

itbdvorm wrote:

- d.e.m.

fwiw, i find this line of thinking pretty questionable - i think i'd rather work at Latham than about 2/3 of the firms you listed. but what do i know, i'm just an actual lawyer with significant real-world experience
Maybe give some reason why you think this? Or you could just pop in here, offer a really snide unsolicited comment and pop out. Either way.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:25 am

itbdvorm wrote:

- d.e.m.

Given that you troll for latham like tapeimort does for chicago, this is not surprising.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Ok let's get back on track...

Does anyone know what the approximate CB/Offer ratio is for Quinn's main offices (LA/NY)? I've heard the rate is very high back when they came to EIP but has that changed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok let's get back on track...

Does anyone know what the approximate CB/Offer ratio is for Quinn's main offices (LA/NY)? I've heard the rate is very high back when they came to EIP but has that changed?

I applied last week. Do you know when they send out callbacks?

Lubberlubber

Postby Lubberlubber » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They've already been going out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Lubberlubber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Whats the turnaround time on an application - callback ratio? Do you know which offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lubberlubber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Whats the turnaround time on an application - callback ratio? Do you know which offices?

Read the thread. Some people heard back in 1 day. LA/NY offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Whats the turnaround time on an application - callback ratio? Do you know which offices?

I read this thread but I didn't see much on it. Which thread are you referring to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Whats the turnaround time on an application - callback ratio? Do you know which offices?

I read this thread but I didn't see much on it. Which thread are you referring to?

This thread. Like the last page?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 pm

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Man, this is why I hate TLS and hate HLS students on TLS. Everybody can be such an uber-douche hidden behind their computer.

There was a single person that posted that they heard back in one day, and that was only for the LA office. There is no need to be uber-douche here when you can just go to hi-rise and be uber-douche there. Although they don't have wi-fi there, so now I understand why you are uber-douche here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Man, this is why I hate TLS and hate HLS students on TLS. Everybody can be such an uber-douche hidden behind their computer.

There was a single person that posted that they heard back in one day, and that was only for the LA office. There is no need to be uber-douche here when you can just go to hi-rise and be uber-douche there. Although they don't have wi-fi there, so now I understand why you are uber-douche here.

? I was trying to be helpful and answer a question. I used a question mark because I wasn't sure if it was the last page or the page before that. I also wasn't the person who responded the first time. Calm down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 am

back to regular programming...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Has anyone made an appointment with one of the DC market recruiters and found their meeting helpful? Trying to decide if it's worth the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone made an appointment with one of the DC market recruiters and found their meeting helpful? Trying to decide if it's worth the time.

met with two, both totally worth it! highly recommend

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

- d.e.m.

Maybe give some reason why you think this? Or you could just pop in here, offer a really snide unsolicited comment and pop out. Either way.

Sorry, I suppose that's fair. Frankly I had just had drinks with a friend at Latham who was annoyed that this rep was still out there and so focused on them, given all the other firms who have done this and the efforts they generally (and he personally) had done to get people jobs, hire people back, place people w/clients, etc. I guess I got annoyed on his behalf and turned my snark level up. In any event, I don't think I "troll" for them (to whomever that guy who said that) but I do have a number of friends there and I think they're a very solid firm doing really good work. I guess I get why someone would rank a place like Cravath above them but surprised to see places like Schulte, Sidley, Orrick, Jones Day, Paul Hastings, Venable, White & Case, Fried Frank, Cadwalader, Willkie, Greenberg, Shearman, Milbank, Holland & Knight on this last (none of which is nearly the same quality firm and all of which I believe took fairly comparable actions over the past few years). Really think people are placing far too much emphasis on something that, while obviously should be taken into account, really shouldn't be the dominant factor given all the other pieces of information. I 100% believe that they're a better place to start your career than all but a handful of places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

- d.e.m.

Sorry, I suppose that's fair. Frankly I had just had drinks with a friend at Latham who was annoyed that this rep was still out there and so focused on them, given all the other firms who have done this and the efforts they generally (and he personally) had done to get people jobs, hire people back, place people w/clients, etc. I guess I got annoyed on his behalf and turned my snark level up. In any event, I don't think I "troll" for them (to whomever that guy who said that) but I do have a number of friends there and I think they're a very solid firm doing really good work. I guess I get why someone would rank a place like Cravath above them but surprised to see places like Schulte, Sidley, Orrick, Jones Day, Paul Hastings, Venable, White & Case, Fried Frank, Cadwalader, Willkie, Greenberg, Shearman, Milbank, Holland & Knight on this last (none of which is nearly the same quality firm and all of which I believe took fairly comparable actions over the past few years). Really think people are placing far too much emphasis on something that, while obviously should be taken into account, really shouldn't be the dominant factor given all the other pieces of information. I 100% believe that they're a better place to start your career than all but a handful of places.

Thanks.

--N. Urfe (Last anon quoted here)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:03 am

itbdvorm wrote:

Eh I think your last sentence is true if the economy doesn't take a sudden turn for the worse again... Basically we use the word "Lathaming" now because Latham both leveraged up more quickly and then de-leveraged down more intensely then other biglaw firms during the past few legal business cycles (as in more then just a one-time incident).

The partner/ or leadership/ etc there has shown that they will not hesitate to layoff young associates in mass if necessary and they've been correct in that it hasn't damaged their hiring too much given the overall downturn in biglaw hiring. Still, if you have the choice, I personally feel like picking other firms which show just a little more reservation against repeated, large layoffs is worth any other differences given how detrimental it is to be fired in your first year as an associate.

Return to “Legal Employment”