HLS EIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 pm

any simpson offers from last week cb's?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Offer from Dorsey - CB yesterday


what office?


Sorry, Minneapolis.


That's awesome. Do you think you're going to take it?


Thanks! Yeah, I think I probably will.

On a sort of related note, does anyone know, when you are turning down an offer from a firm should you contact the attorney who called you to tell you about the offer or should you contact the hiring partner (who signed the offer) or both?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 pm

getting slightly worried here, had 3 callbacks week before last, then 5 more last week...still no offers yet. Dinged from one of the firms from week before last (which according to last yr's statistics offered all 5 people that accepted their callbacks)...kinda worried im doing something wrong during callbacks. This is for DC. I know DC is slower in turning around offers but still all my friends have been hearing back in a couple of days at most.

Anybody know if I'm right to be worried or if DC really is slow and I should relax?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:getting slightly worried here, had 3 callbacks week before last, then 5 more last week...still no offers yet. Dinged from one of the firms from week before last (which according to last yr's statistics offered all 5 people that accepted their callbacks)...kinda worried im doing something wrong during callbacks. This is for DC. I know DC is slower in turning around offers but still all my friends have been hearing back in a couple of days at most.

Anybody know if I'm right to be worried or if DC really is slow and I should relax?


A good number of DC firms read writing samples after callbacks so this may be the reason for the delay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Any offers out for Mintz Boston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from BB Houston after the super day last week?



I haven't heard back yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from BB Houston after the super day last week?



I haven't heard back yet.


Original inquirer here-- got an offer by phone this morning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Offer from Simpson

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 pm

WilmerHale DC offer from callback last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:46 am

Morning, folks. First time checking in.

30 at EIP in multiple/too many markets. 7 callbacks (if McKenzie counts, which I didn't take).

5 offers from 5 callbacks so far (4 in NYC, one international branch office) -- Last callback in NYC this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:getting slightly worried here, had 3 callbacks week before last, then 5 more last week...still no offers yet. Dinged from one of the firms from week before last (which according to last yr's statistics offered all 5 people that accepted their callbacks)...kinda worried im doing something wrong during callbacks. This is for DC. I know DC is slower in turning around offers but still all my friends have been hearing back in a couple of days at most.

Anybody know if I'm right to be worried or if DC really is slow and I should relax?


DC is pretty slow.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:getting slightly worried here, had 3 callbacks week before last, then 5 more last week...still no offers yet. Dinged from one of the firms from week before last (which according to last yr's statistics offered all 5 people that accepted their callbacks)...kinda worried im doing something wrong during callbacks. This is for DC. I know DC is slower in turning around offers but still all my friends have been hearing back in a couple of days at most.

Anybody know if I'm right to be worried or if DC really is slow and I should relax?



I have been told that, on the whole, DC isn't making the amount of offers that they have in the past.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:getting slightly worried here, had 3 callbacks week before last, then 5 more last week...still no offers yet. Dinged from one of the firms from week before last (which according to last yr's statistics offered all 5 people that accepted their callbacks)...kinda worried im doing something wrong during callbacks. This is for DC. I know DC is slower in turning around offers but still all my friends have been hearing back in a couple of days at most.

Anybody know if I'm right to be worried or if DC really is slow and I should relax?


DC is pretty slow.


Did all my DC CBs in the first 2 weeks of the flyout period and so far have heard back from half. Some firms (especially those with smaller class sizes) definitely seem to be taking their time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:10 pm

What are you guys thoughts on splitting with a NY firm? I was hoping to do NY in the first half and dote last 6 weeks in TX but im concerned that even if a firm allowed that they might end up no offering me at the end of the summer. Thoughts? Is this a horrible idea?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Also interested in the splitting summers question (only between NY and CA).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Non-HLSer here, but I've heard that firms often make offers for first-halfers at the end of the half, not the end of the summer. This is a major reason for second-half no-offers, because people slack off.

I suspect - based on the TLS echo chamber, not experience - that NY/TX splits are likely to be less problematic, especially on the TX side where half-summer-only SA gigs are quite common. I know a lot of CA offices want splitters there for the first 8 weeks, though, so it may be problematic with the NY/CA split (unless it's intra-firm).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Non-HLSer here, but I've heard that firms often make offers for first-halfers at the end of the half, not the end of the summer. This is a major reason for second-half no-offers, because people slack off.

I suspect - based on the TLS echo chamber, not experience - that NY/TX splits are likely to be less problematic, especially on the TX side where half-summer-only SA gigs are quite common. I know a lot of CA offices want splitters there for the first 8 weeks, though, so it may be problematic with the NY/CA split (unless it's intra-firm).


So they would offer me before i left? Cause most of the NY programs are 10 weeks and id be there for 8, they wouldnt hold that against me?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Non-HLSer here, but I've heard that firms often make offers for first-halfers at the end of the half, not the end of the summer. This is a major reason for second-half no-offers, because people slack off.

I suspect - based on the TLS echo chamber, not experience - that NY/TX splits are likely to be less problematic, especially on the TX side where half-summer-only SA gigs are quite common. I know a lot of CA offices want splitters there for the first 8 weeks, though, so it may be problematic with the NY/CA split (unless it's intra-firm).


So they would offer me before i left? Cause most of the NY programs are 10 weeks and id be there for 8, they wouldnt hold that against me?


Don't take this on faith - check. When you're asking if you can split, consider asking whether they make decisions before you leave or after.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Non-HLSer here, but I've heard that firms often make offers for first-halfers at the end of the half, not the end of the summer. This is a major reason for second-half no-offers, because people slack off.

I suspect - based on the TLS echo chamber, not experience - that NY/TX splits are likely to be less problematic, especially on the TX side where half-summer-only SA gigs are quite common. I know a lot of CA offices want splitters there for the first 8 weeks, though, so it may be problematic with the NY/CA split (unless it's intra-firm).


So they would offer me before i left? Cause most of the NY programs are 10 weeks and id be there for 8, they wouldnt hold that against me?


Don't take this on faith - check. When you're asking if you can split, consider asking whether they make decisions before you leave or after.


Haha of course, but good to know that this is even a possibility. I guess i'll ask

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:11 pm

anyone have experience with an 8 weeks/8 weeks split or an 8-10 split etc? As opposed to an 8-6 split. This doesn't concern Texas. NY or CA on one side/ Secondary market on another.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Anyone know when the Gibson Dunn hiring committee meets? (Interviewed with NY).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Any news on chadbourne NY post cb? Interview 2 weeks ago

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Any W&C news?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any W&C news?


Still haven't heard anything, interviewed second half of last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:35 am

anyone heard back from jones day who had a CB late last week?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.