What exactly does "No billable hours requirement" mean?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Plant15

What exactly does "No billable hours requirement" mean?

Postby Plant15 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm

How much will I be expected to work at a firm with no billable hours requirement? Is there typically an unofficial requirement? I'm looking mainly at DC firms if that makes a difference.

Anonymous User

Re: What exactly does "No billable hours requirement" mean?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:27 pm

It is hard to say. You really have to talk to one of the associates at the firm to know. I met a partner from a firm that proclaims to have no billable hour requirements. She told me that she still expected associates to bill at least 1800 hours a year. In contrast, in another firm with no requirement, an associate told me she billed 1400 in a down year and no one had a problem with it.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is hard to say. You really have to talk to one of the associates at the firm to know. I met a partner from a firm that proclaims to have no billable hour requirements. She told me that she still expected associates to bill at least 1800 hours a year. In contrast, in another firm with no requirement, an associate told me she billed 1400 in a down year and no one had a problem with it.

It's really just sleight of hand. Every firm without a requirement has an expectation.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 pm

It's no different than "unlimited vacation time."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Often firms without a billable hours requirement will be TOUGHER. They don't feel the need to set a floor because everyone is hitting crazy numbers. Most of the NYC top dogs don't have requirements and I can guarantee you, a 2,000 hr requirement at a Cravath, S&C, or Davis Polk would be a joke.

In addition, keep in mind that a lot of DC firms, unlike NYC firms, don't have lockstep bonuses. Thus, while there is no hours requirement, you could be out of the running for a bonus (or get a reduced one) without meeting some de facto hr requirement.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 pm

It means bill more or the same as your peers or you will be judged accordingly.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Unless the firm does pure contingency work, it means nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Often firms without a billable hours requirement will be TOUGHER. They don't feel the need to set a floor because everyone is hitting crazy numbers. Most of the NYC top dogs don't have requirements and I can guarantee you, a 2,000 hr requirement at a Cravath, S&C, or Davis Polk would be a joke.

In addition, keep in mind that a lot of DC firms, unlike NYC firms, don't have lockstep bonuses. Thus, while there is no hours requirement, you could be out of the running for a bonus (or get a reduced one) without meeting some de facto hr requirement.

This is why D.C. offices of NYC V10s are so rigged. From what I've seen firsthand this summer, many of the associates at those offices (at least mine) may actually work no more than 40-45 hours a week and they're still lockstep with the associates busting their asses in NYC. Obviously the path to partnership is much harder in the satellite, but it's not exactly a cakewalk in NYC either. If you can snag a job at one of those offices and don't want to make partner, you literally can coast by for 6-7 years raking in the ridiculous salary and bonuses while getting home by 6:30pm almost every night.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Often firms without a billable hours requirement will be TOUGHER. They don't feel the need to set a floor because everyone is hitting crazy numbers. Most of the NYC top dogs don't have requirements and I can guarantee you, a 2,000 hr requirement at a Cravath, S&C, or Davis Polk would be a joke.

This is why D.C. offices of NYC V10s are so rigged. From what I've seen firsthand this summer, many of the associates at those offices (at least mine) may actually work no more than 40-45 hours a week and they're still lockstep with the associates busting their asses in NYC. Obviously the path to partnership is much harder in the satellite, but it's not exactly a cakewalk in NYC either. If you can snag a job at one of those offices and don't want to make partner, you literally can coast by for 6-7 years raking in the ridiculous salary and bonuses while getting home by 6:30pm almost every night.

The people I know at DC NYC-based V10s (Simpson, Cleary, etc.) seem to be working close to NYC hours. They can often work from home in the evenings, however, which is less typical in NYC.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:36 pm

It means you're expected to work every waking hour of your life.

Return to “Legal Employment”