Split Summer Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Summerz
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 am

Split Summer Firms

Postby Summerz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Can someone provide an ez-to-access list (or link) of firms offering a split summer option? Thanks

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby mr.hands » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Summerz wrote:Can someone provide an ez-to-access list (or link) of firms offering a split summer option? Thanks


Don't know of a list. Just look it up on nalp directory

User avatar
Summerz
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 am

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby Summerz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Summerz wrote:Can someone provide an ez-to-access list (or link) of firms offering a split summer option? Thanks


Don't know of a list. Just look it up on nalp directory


I saw the NALP list last night, but instead of going from firm to firm I was hoping a handy dandy list/link existed somewhere. Still hopeful.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby de5igual » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm

general rule of thumb: no split summer unless 1) returning 1L or 2) firms are in Texas (or some other non-Atlanta markets)—even then, these firms are largely moving away from the split summer

KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:05 am

Firms that do split summers almost always have lower offer rates. Unless you have an extraordinarily great reason for splitting, you shouldn't attempt it.

User avatar
Summerz
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 am

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby Summerz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:45 am

KidStuddi wrote:Firms that do split summers almost always have lower offer rates. Unless you have an extraordinarily great reason for splitting, you shouldn't attempt it.

In agreement. This request for a list/link is in ref to a small project I am working on. In this world of databases I would be surprised if such a list hasn’t already been generated. I just do not know where it is. I am hoping someone here might know.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:58 am

It's really annoying how overly generalized information is just regurgitated without thought on this site.

Split summers are not a good idea if a firm has a 10 or 12 week program that you're expecting/asking to skip out on half of.

For firms that have 8 or 6 week programs, which would naturally allow you to finish the entire program there and go somewhere else, you'd be an idiot to sit around and twiddle your thumbs at home instead of trying to get another gig lined up.

As for the list, any one you could find probably wouldn't be accurate because things can change at a firm from one year to the next. Your best bet really is to just use NALP and even that might prove to be inaccurate by the time a firm starts preparing for the next summer class.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Split Both Law School Summers

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby dood » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 am

Aqualibrium wrote:It's really annoying how overly generalized information is just regurgitated without thought on this site.

Split summers are not a good idea if a firm has a 10 or 12 week program that you're expecting/asking to skip out on half of.

For firms that have 8 or 6 week programs, which would naturally allow you to finish the entire program there and go somewhere else, you'd be an idiot to sit around and twiddle your thumbs at home instead of trying to get another gig lined up.

As for the list, any one you could find probably wouldn't be accurate because things can change at a firm from one year to the next. Your best bet really is to just use NALP and even that might prove to be inaccurate by the time a firm starts preparing for the next summer class.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Split Both Law School Summers


as someone else who split 2L summer, i agree 100% with everything Aqualibrium says. everything else is shit advice from people who havent split summers or even attempted to.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby dood » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 am

KidStuddi wrote:Firms that do split summers almost always have lower offer rates. Unless you have an extraordinarily great reason for splitting, you shouldn't attempt it.


who told you this?? this is completely false.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Split Summer Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 am

dood wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:It's really annoying how overly generalized information is just regurgitated without thought on this site.

Split summers are not a good idea if a firm has a 10 or 12 week program that you're expecting/asking to skip out on half of.



as someone else who split 2L summer, i agree 100% with everything Aqualibrium says. everything else is shit advice from people who havent split summers or even attempted to.


Really depends on market and firms. In Texas, my first-half firm last summer had a ten-week program and started out with 20+ summers. Starting at week seven, people starting going to their second-half firms. By week nine there were four summers left. Everybody got an offers. Everybody got offers at my second-half firm.

If a firm typically has an offer rate below 90%, I agree it is a bad idea to split the summer, even in markets where splitting is the norm.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.