Grades for RA Position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades for RA Position?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 am

I am doing an RA position with a professor this summer, for credit.

I'm wondering if I will get a letter grade for the 3 credits, or whether it will just be a "pass." I would have asked the professor, but felt like a tool... Has anyone had experience with this?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geist13

Re: RA Position

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:04 am

woah woah woah. RA for credit? Meaning you have to pay the school? They should be paying you. You need to address that immediately. Your school is taking advantage of you.

Anonymous User

Re: RA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 am

No, I'm not paying the school, I just don't get paid. I'm already maxing out my workstudy pay with a judicial internship, so I figure I might as well get credit.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure whether I'm paying... either way, i have to take a set amount of credits to graduate, and I want to work with this professor anyway, and this reduces the amount of credits I'll have to take one semester over the next two years, so I'm still cool with paying for the credits now rather than later if that's how it works out..

My question is just about grades. I think the grade would be good, and it sure would be nice to add another A to my transcript before OCI.

Geist13

Re: Grades for RA Position?

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:25 am

summer credits generally cost $$. My 3 credit summer class was like $3,500 or something like that. Usually, RA isn't work-study, you just get paid hourly by the school. I made over 17 an hour for each of the two professors I worked for; so did every other RA at my law school. Seriously, it should just be automatic that they pay you.

Anyway, I can't imagine you'd get a grade for it. Most likely pass fail.

edit: Also, you don't end up saving money on the credits later. The way it works is that you pay a yearly fall-spring tuition. You can take however many or however few credits during that time as you like, but you pay the set tuition. Any credits you take during the summer you have to pay for. So you're just adding to your overall cost of tuition by a few thousand dollars. Not that you shouldn't take summer classes. I'm just saying its not a wash in the end like you think it is.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:04 am

I didn't think any law schools were "pay by the credit?"

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 am

how in the hell do you expect an internet forum to know if your school gives you a letter grade for a summer RA position?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:03 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:how in the hell do you expect an internet forum to know if your school gives you a letter grade for a summer RA position?

Yep. Also, if its pass/fail then its a huge slap in the face. Working for free to get a "pass" is outrageous. What rank-ish school do you go to? This sounds TTTT

Summerz

Postby Summerz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:03 am

No credit. RA positions usually pay $10 an hour with a 10 hour weekly cap (sometimes you can go over when the prof assigns extra work).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 am

Some professors will let you RA for credit, instead if paying you.
If you RA for credit over the summer, you will probably be charged tuition for summer courses (which is not covered by scholly)
Sons professors will let you do the work over summer but get the credit during the next semester - talk to the professor about this.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

ndirish2010 wrote:I didn't think any law schools were "pay by the credit?"

Northwestern basically is. They don't charge for summer school, but if you try to graduate early, they want you to pay for semesters you miss.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:50 pm

OP here... I found the answer to my question and thought I'd post the answer for TLS posterity sake.

At my school (upper t-14, not TTTT), a summer RA position for credit is posted to the transcript for the fall term, and there is not a charge for the credit. There is the option of receiving a letter grade or pass/fail.

Oh yeah, regarding this:
mr.hands wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:how in the hell do you expect an internet forum to know if your school gives you a letter grade for a summer RA position?

Yep. Also, if its pass/fail then its a huge slap in the face. Working for free to get a "pass" is outrageous. What rank-ish school do you go to? This sounds TTTT

Nope. wasn't asking anyone to tell me what my school does (you'll notice I didn't mention what school I attend, so I'm not sure why you would think I was asking you to tell me what my school does). I was asking for general information, if anyone had experience with a similar scenario.

Silly TLSers... :roll:

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here... I found the answer to my question and thought I'd post the answer for TLS posterity sake.

At my school (upper t-14, not TTTT), a summer RA position for credit is posted to the transcript for the fall term, and there is not a charge for the credit. There is the option of receiving a letter grade or pass/fail.

Oh yeah, regarding this:
mr.hands wrote:

Nope. wasn't asking anyone to tell me what my school does (you'll notice I didn't mention what school I attend, so I'm not sure why you would think I was asking you to tell me what my school does). I was asking for general information, if anyone had experience with a similar scenario.

I wasn't asking you so I could tell you about your school's policy. I asked because that's an outrageous/TTTT practice (one that I've never heard any school doing. Sounds like either NU or GULC does though)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:01 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here... I found the answer to my question and thought I'd post the answer for TLS posterity sake.

Oh yeah, regarding this:
mr.hands wrote:

I wasn't asking you so I could tell you about your school's policy. I asked because that's an outrageous/TTTT practice (one that I've never heard any school doing. Sounds like either NU or GULC does though)

What is the "outrageous/TTTT practice" you are referring to?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 pm

My comment that you first quoted ("yep. Also...") was written back when we thought the school required you to pay money for an RA position in exchange for a pass/fail.

If your school lets you get a letter grade for it, that's fine. I was asking what school you were from before we knew that

EDIT: at least, that's what I meant to communicate

Return to “Legal Employment”