Actual Hours Worked

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Murphy1022

Actual Hours Worked

Postby Murphy1022 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 am

On NALP forms firms can list Average Hours Worked and Average Billable Hours Worked. Most firm's Average Hour Worked is only around 2,200 hours. Thats only like 44 hours per week. There is absolutely no way that those are the actual average hours that are worked at these firms.

So what are the average hours worked per year and per week for BigLaw?

Lasers

Re: Actual Hours Worked

Postby Lasers » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 am

Murphy1022 wrote:On NALP forms firms can list Average Hours Worked and Average Billable Hours Worked. Most firm's Average Hour Worked is only around 2,200 hours. Thats only like 44 hours per week. There is absolutely no way that those are the actual average hours that are worked at these firms.

So what are the average hours worked per year and per week for BigLaw?

truly, it depends on the firm.

the average billable hours for the v100 i work at is really about 2000-2100; i know firms that have an average of 2500+, though.

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:56 am

are you sure its the average hours worked and not the average billable hours worked?

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/C ... e_hour.pdf (lays out how many actual hours you'd work for various target hours)

Edit: You also have to realize that a lot of NALP firms are just small to midsize firms, people in those offices usually don't have the same targets as biglaw firms. Im at a midsize firm and most of the transactional attorneys work a true 9-6, so they work 40 hours a week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 am

At my NYC V30 (NYC office) people WORK about 50 hours per week on average and bill closer to 45. Assuming 2-4 weeks of vacation that's 2400-2500 worked and 2150-2250 billed.

If someone was on a trial team, though, the averages and crap go out the window. You might bill 2500+ in a heavy trial year.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:54 am

Billed hours vs. hours worked is a big difference typically. I just appreciate the firms that leave that form blank on NALP. It's so bad they can't disclose.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

For those trying to figure it out, federal holidays add up to about two weeks, so if you take those off and 2 weeks vacation, your calculation should be 48 weeks per year

Edit: even if you plan in working on federal holidays, you still won't be putting in full days

AC Vegas

Postby AC Vegas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm

This probably refers to total hours logged in the system (not all hours are billable), which would be in between hours billed and total hours at work. I doubt firms are estimating how long attorneys are in the office.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

AC Vegas wrote:This probably refers to total hours logged in the system (not all hours are billable), which would be in between hours billed and total hours at work. I doubt firms are estimating how long attorneys are in the office.

This.

What OP is thinking of: how many hours does an attorney work
Hours Worked: how many hours did an attorney say should be billed
Hours Billed: how many hours did the attorney actually get credit for billing after a partner marked down an associate's hours

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:This probably refers to total hours logged in the system (not all hours are billable), which would be in between hours billed and total hours at work. I doubt firms are estimating how long attorneys are in the office.

This.

Hours Billed: how many hours did the attorney actually get credit for billing after a partner marked down an associate's hours

I'm not sure about that either.

Billable means what the associate is claiming. There is no spot for actually billed.

AC Vegas

Postby AC Vegas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

This.

I'm not sure about that either.

Billable means what the associate is claiming. There is no spot for actually billed.

To clarify: by not all hours being billable, I meant doing things that aren't billable activities, but are still logged, such as pro bono work or client development stuff, if you add those to your billable hours, you get total hours worked, but its still less than total hours at work.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:57 am

AC Vegas wrote:
To clarify: by not all hours being billable, I meant doing things that aren't billable activities, but are still logged, such as pro bono work or client development stuff, if you add those to your billable hours, you get total hours worked, but its still less than total hours at work.

Yeah, I'm going to second this. Throw in CLEs, summer associate / recruiting activities, firm committees, planning firm events, etc. Things associates get credit for doing but the firm isn't billing anyone for. These hours are still relevant for advancement in a lot of firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”